620Ibs Squat @ 200Ibs

[quote]BigRedMachine87 wrote:
Best it’s wrong. It’s not about it counting in a meet or not. It’s about training correctly. The best trainers don’t train to do parellel squats, unless it’s heavy, then do whatever you want. It’s train parellel or a little below. I never want to do a rep wrong. It happens sometimes. But I try to understand it and correct it. I’ve almost doubled my total in 14 months. I didn’t do it cheating myself with incorrect form. [/quote]

Right, but you started off with a low total. You made very reasonably expected gains from your starting point, and for that I commend you, but that’s how beginner gains work. This sort of rigid thinking is what gets people stuck for many years.

I was stalled in my total for years before I finally stopped doing everything “perfect” and started making some gains.

Decent lift. But your hamstrings and glutes appear to be pretty weak.

I’m wondering if people don’t realize that the TC’s screename is his name, Ibrahim Mahama.

As in the guy with the 600lb raw squat in the 198 weight class on PLW.

Or the guy with the #17 raw total.

I doubt his hamstrings or glutes are weak.

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:

Best it’s wrong. It’s not about it counting in a meet or not. It’s about training correctly. The best trainers don’t train to do parellel squats, unless it’s heavy, then do whatever you want. It’s train parellel or a little below. I never want to do a rep wrong. It happens sometimes. But I try to understand it and correct it. I’ve almost doubled my total in 14 months. I didn’t do it cheating myself with incorrect form. [/quote]

Right, but you started off with a low total. You made very reasonably expected gains from your starting point, and for that I commend you, but that’s how beginner gains work. This sort of rigid thinking is what gets people stuck for many years.

I was stalled in my total for years before I finally stopped doing everything “perfect” and started making some gains.[/quote]

I understand you have to push yourself. And every rep of your training won’t look like you’re making a instructional video. But that wasn’t grinding out a good lift. That was a failed lift that wasn’t close to being a rep and had to be saved from dumping it. No, always being perfect won’t always happen, but being content with bad lifts is even worse. It’s just a bad mentality to have in my opinion. It happens way too often.

[quote]BlueCollarTr8n wrote:
Good Work…nice job staying with the lift. Looks like the spotter did a great job of ‘just enough’. Not the type of ‘grinding’ I want a lifter doing routinely, but the occasional ‘gut-check’ is a good thing.

Your stance is fairly narrow and your heel rises a bit in the hole. Consider opening your stance a little, it may help. **notice how you shift your toes out right before you descend? Stop That! [/quote]

Thanks for the tips

At least three inches high. Spotter dragged you up. I don’t get why people do this? Drop the weight down to 600 or 575 and hit parellel or below and actually lift the weight yourself.

575, 600, 605…whatever you can actually do, is still an impressive squat. Be happy with the strength you have and build off that. Don’t waste time showing off with weight you can’t lift.[/quote]

I’m curious. How much do you squat?
[/quote]

I squatted 600Ibs in a competition last september

Good squat man. Do you compete at 198?

I was stalled in my total for years before I finally stopped doing everything “perfect” and started making some gains.[/quote]

I understand you have to push yourself. And every rep of your training won’t look like you’re making a instructional video. But that wasn’t grinding out a good lift. That was a failed lift that wasn’t close to being a rep and had to be saved from dumping it. No, always being perfect won’t always happen, but being content with bad lifts is even worse. It’s just a bad mentality to have in my opinion. It happens way too often. [/quote]

It seems to be working for him though.

Im really glad Pwnisher has been quoting this Big Red Machine idiot’s quotes, because I added that dumbass to my ignore list a long time ago (for good reason obviously).

What gets me is if he is a lot weaker than the guy he is critiquing, why the fuck does he think he is even qualified to give advice? That drives me insane nowadays…every fucking keyboard warrior is a god damned expert, even though he hasn’t accomplished shit and is weak as fuck. Your advice is not worth a watery shit. Less advice giving, more training, and maybe eventually you wont be laughed at in the ladies section.

It’s just a bad mentality to have in my opinion. It happens way too often. [/quote]

Why do you think we should give a shit about your opinion?

Don’t bother to answer btw, that is what is known as a ‘rhetorical question’, since I won’t see your response unless someone who hasn’t figured out what a dumbass you are yet hasn’t put you on ignore and quotes it.

Edit: Fucked up the quoter

[quote]VTBalla34 wrote:

It’s just a bad mentality to have in my opinion. It happens way too often. [/quote]

Don’t bother to answer btw, that is what is known as a ‘rhetorical question’, since I won’t see your response unless someone who hasn’t figured out what a dumbass you are yet hasn’t put you on ignore and quotes it.[/quote]

I don’t take issue with the direction you are going, but could you edit the post so it doesn’t look like I said that? Haha.

FWIW, I made stellar progress once I stopped worrying about full ROM all the time… I highly credit squats to just above parallel/shortened ROM pressing… FWIW, I am also a beginner and other factors may have came into play…

Depth was close, anyway depth or not 620 at 200 is fucking amazing.
OP did you ever tried squatting in weightlifting shoes ? They might benefit your squatting style.

[quote]MickyGee wrote:
FWIW, I made stellar progress once I stopped worrying about full ROM all the time… I highly credit squats to just above parallel/shortened ROM pressing… FWIW, I am also a beginner and other factors may have came into play…[/quote]

Yeah, I’m big into ROM progression these days.

Strong try. As has been said you should be good for that weight very soon.

For those critizing the OP with a 6 squat, 4+ bench and 6+ deadlift at 198 a lot of us would do well to pay close attention to what he is doing rather than trying to be critical of it.

[quote]VTBalla34 wrote:

Don’t bother to answer btw, that is what is known as a ‘rhetorical question’, since I won’t see your response unless someone who hasn’t figured out what a dumbass you are yet hasn’t put you on ignore and quotes it.[/quote]

I don’t take issue with the direction you are going, but could you edit the post so it doesn’t look like I said that? Haha.[/quote]
lol

I am having trouble seeing what many here believe is a good “gym” lift. Am I the only one who sees his knees rebend and him almost fall? The spotter didn’t just help him a little bit, he kept him from falling into the bottom half of a goodmorning. If no spotter was there, the OP would have completely missed the lift and the bar would have landed on the pins. Is that to say the OP couldn’t get it? No, because if he keeps his weight back I think he finishes it.

[quote]james258 wrote:
I am having trouble seeing what many here believe is a good “gym” lift. Am I the only one who sees his knees rebend and him almost fall? The spotter didn’t just help him a little bit, he kept him from falling into the bottom half of a goodmorning. If no spotter was there, the OP would have completely missed the lift and the bar would have landed on the pins. Is that to say the OP couldn’t get it? No, because if he keeps his weight back I think he finishes it.[/quote]

It was a nice attempt and good effort. Sometimes you just have to push yourself a little.

[quote]shffl wrote:
I don’t see what’s wrong with this. Sure it’s not a legit competition lift but it’s still a solid gym lift regardless. It’s not like he’s running around boasting about it, he merely posted a video of what I (along with a few others here) thought is pretty cool. And given his current level, I would say he probably does’t need most of us here telling him what to do. [/quote]

You practice like you play, right? So why squat high in training if you can’t squat high in a meet?

CS

[quote]CSEagles1694 wrote:

[quote]shffl wrote:
I don’t see what’s wrong with this. Sure it’s not a legit competition lift but it’s still a solid gym lift regardless. It’s not like he’s running around boasting about it, he merely posted a video of what I (along with a few others here) thought is pretty cool. And given his current level, I would say he probably does’t need most of us here telling him what to do. [/quote]

You practice like you play, right? So why squat high in training if you can’t squat high in a meet?

CS[/quote]

For the same reason that basketball players will practice their freethrows WITHOUT having someone actively defend the shot.

Sometimes you train different aspects of your sport while removing other aspects so that you can focus, improve or refine something.

The majority of my squats are above legal in training, and I’ve never had an issue with hitting depth in a comp.

EDIT: And hell, if we want to talk about “practicing like you play”, look at Westside and how infrequently they ever hit the competition lifts.