60Gunner's Old Man Training Log

I used this thread when I first started cutting and found a lot of good information on it, I hope it helps you as well: When Your Cut Stalls

The biggest part of leaning out is generating a deficit. every diet works so long as there’s a deficit, but when it comes to saving muscle mass while cutting - it’s a bit more nuanced.

For me,I found my Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) which basically gives you an estimate of what your maintenance calories are, given your current activity level. Mine was pretty accurate, but there’s always some margin of error.
I used this site: BMR Calculator
(If you want to be extra careful with what links you click on, just google “BMR Calculator” and you should find a few options.)

My abs have started seeing their shadow under the right lighting conditions, and I do very little direct ab work - but I’ve always put emphasis on bracing during exercises, particularly compound lifts… Some people say just doing heavy compounds will get your abs to develop, and some say you need direct ab work. Nothing wrong with either approach, you just need to know what works for you.

This is good. Slow, steady progress is best. It’s sustainable and rewarding in the long run. As for your rep-range, I would say to do the 8-12-8 method (The 8-12-8 Method - Bigger Stronger Leaner - COMMUNITY - T NATION) but to spare you the read, just find a weight you can do for 8 reps each set and keep using it until you can do it for 12 reps each set, then increase weight and drop back down to 8 reps. Example: Bench Press 100lbs for 3 sets of 8 reps, following week you’ll do 3 sets of 9 reps, then 10, until you reach 12 reps - then increase say 5-10lbs and bench 105lbs for 3 sets of 8 reps. Lather and repeat

This works well for hypertrophy specifically, but only works okay in terms of strength. Eventually, you will need to break out from the 8-12 rep range, but not until you reach a plateau.

1 Like