60Gunner Finally Got Back in the Gym

My goal is a 530 lbs deadlifts by July. Then 540, since I’ll be 54. Don’t know if I’ll hit it. Was doing 420 for a set of 5-6 and another after that for 4-5 reps.

1 Like

You’ll get there. With strong workout partners I was my strongest in early 50s.

For motivation I suggest following Crippler’s log “old guy strength” on here.

1 Like

Appreciate the info biker. Weather moving in tomorrow here in Charleston, SC and the AS that I have belive it or not really has an effect on my body. Steady pain, but once the front comes through, I’m good. Weird. Had really good workout this morning as well as yesterday morning. Just being careful with the “nads” issue. Hahahahahahha Y’all have a great day today!

Hello all, hope everyone is doing well. Urologist finally got back to me, and still at some point going to do the surgery. I had stated earlier that I hadn’t heard from him, he finally called and the surgery team had covid. However he said hit the gym just watch the straining and they will get me scheduled. Been lifting harder now, and added pre-workout to my mornings. I remember from a long time ago the creatine seemed to help with recovery. Anyway, chest/tri day now, headed in. Y’all take care and have a great day!
On a side note, my wife and daughter are starting back up in February, they always felt better when they lifted. Excited for them as well.

2 Likes

Finally posted my logs, if interested they are under: 60Gunner’s old man traing log

Notice a good up tick in recovery since Dr put me on Test cyp. 200mg week.

I’m not really doing a program as of yet, just a 3 day split: chest/tri, back/bi, legs/shoulders

Haven’t done any BP since I almost dropped bar on myself the 1st or 2nd day back. Trying machines right now for chest. I’m feeling stronger, and it’s not as painful on my left shoulder which of late has been screaming.

Going to wait and give it a few more weeks and then go at the bench again. Curious how doing the incline, overhead and fly machines help with flat bench…

Hope everyone is doing well and grinding it out!

3 Likes

So I’ve been posting my log and love this site, always have. Feeling strong. Haven’t had any more issues with the varicocele. Maybe it was a one off thing. Still being careful but I’m not dead yet…y’all gave a good one and kick ass!!

1 Like

I hit a PR yesterday, 600lbs on the leg press, 2 sets 600lbs for 8 reps each. Did 4 sets prior warming up. Fuck, feeling stronger…

1 Like

@hel320
Did I read somewhere you were traing for the Highland Games???

to tag people, you’ll have to put the [@] symbol before their username.
I can type in [60gunner] and no notification will be sent. But if I type in [@60gunner] then it tags you an a notification will pop up.

Just trying to help - I know you mentioned technology isn’t exactly your field =)

1 Like

Aaahhhhh, thanks man!! Worked perfectly. Yes, computers, fourm typing, how to “tag” someone isn’t my strong point. Thanks again!

1 Like

Competed in them for many years. They cut out most of them the last 2 years because of COVID.

2 Likes

Very cool! You have to be strong as shit to do those events, obviously you are. Good on you brother! Do you think you will still compete if they ever relax the “mandates”? Also, would it be “functional strength” or “functional muscle”? Trying to learn all I can…

1 Like

Just want to take moment to say thanks to the advice I’ve from y’all so far, it’s been extremely helpfull. Always look forward to it, even though I’ve lifted off an on for years, the knowledge you guys bring is priceless. The transformation from “old dad bod” to now inast few months has been crazy. For example, eating, if I only knew when I was younger really how important food was, wonder where I’d be now. Even how to “tag” someone and whete to post my log. I’m slowly learning fourm etiquette. Plus, some of y’all have shared stories about injuries ect and it makes me re-think how fast I really should progress, safely. So again gents, thank you! I take all of it to heart. Crush it today men, for tomorrow isn’t guaranteed!
Dave

1 Like

Getting ready to head back to the Philippines where I live at least half the year. That and turning 67 next month will probably have me hanging up my kilt. My main love is Athletics (Track and Field, shot put, discus, hammer) which I’ll probably continue in the Master’s Division until I die. It’s how I got started in the HG when I was in my early 50’s. I’m a little ashamed to admit but I don’t know the difference in “functional strength” or “functional muscle”. Many years ago I powerlifted. My weight lifting workouts are pretty much based on my T&F throwing and stuff I learned over 50 years ago. Had periods I didn’t do anything thanks to military requirements and injuries. I also do a lot of what would be called cardio, swimming and running. If you decide to get into the games let me know and I can give you some pointers.

1 Like

@hel320

Man, your a stud, at 67 and years prior participation in the Highland Games is no easy task! From what I understand functional strength is different then show muscle. I could be totally wrong, but take a guy like yourself or a strongman competitor and that is what I get from it. Explosiveness and speed compared to more appealing physiques, ie bodybuilder or figure athletes. Not taking away from them at all, each has its own place in weight training for sure. Will continue ti maintenance train while abroad?? What are the gyms like where you live in the Philippines?? I’m assuming they do they same as here as far as the different types of training as I mentioned above?? Seems weight traing is a universal language…

1 Like

The gyms vary form bare bones to real nice. It’s all about bodybuilding and boxing though. I was very surprised a few years back when they held the World’s Strongest man in Manila. I have a nice home gym set up there but I mainly do martial arts, bodyweight exercise and swimming, and more swimming. Lots of 500ml curls sitting on the beach sucking suds (Red Horse Malt Liquor). Several years ago I got roped into teaching the throwers at a local college how to do the rotational spin shot and a four turn hammer throw. Like the US everything pretty much such down the last couple of years.

1 Like