T Nation

600lb Deadlift Possible for Everyone?

If you’ve traveled the US, you know this is already occurring. Ever been to an Outback, Chilis, or any buffet?

Follow up: How many can achieve a 600 lb deadlift without becoming morbidly obese in the process?

Are we going by BMI or bodyfat %? If the latter; what is the threshold?

25+ percent is obese. BMI is pointless for those who lifts weights seriously.

I agree, but I find that making sure we are all on the same page before starting these discussions is helpful.

Is 25% morbidly obese, or “just” obese?

Morbidly? I think that would be prohibitive to the goal.

From a BMI perspective, this gauges only height-to-bodyweight ratio. Most of us that lift weights will fall into the “overweight” region. However, if you extend into the “obese” range - unless you’re an NFL running back or juicing, you’re also fat. You may be strong and fat, but you’re still fat. I’ve come across so many dudes that say “I’m 6’ and 240, athletic build…”. No, lose 50 lbs and you’d have an athletic build, but as it stands now you’re simply an obese dude that is strong.

I’ve seen dudes in their 20’s that were “obese but strong”, and they excelled at sports, could put up huge numbers in the weight room, and felt great. But 15 years later? They had bad knees, bad backs, and were in sad shape. They still ate with the best of them, though.

So, again, who cares if a 600 lb DL is “possible for everyone” if it requires obesity and all that comes with it? There are certainly studs that can pull this weight as impressive, healthy physical specimens; but no, I don’t think “everyone” or very many at all an achieve this.

This is a different debate entirely. Some people prize longevity, some performance. Steve Pulcinella had a good discussion on this on Facebook a few days ago.

I really don’t care about being healthy and pain-free when I am 80, but a lot of folks do.

how many people in this thread have deadlifted 600?

So, this isn’t a question of potential, but individual desire. Cool. There isn’t anything to discuss then

IF the lift is very stubborn for an individual he might have to accept getting a little bit sloppy, say 2-3 inches on the waist, but thas about it. You dont have to get fat.
You will have to accept you need to add a ton of muscle to back/posterior chain and a decent amount overall and that is going to take time and a lot of sustained heavy eating at certain points throughout the year

Stahp asking!

How many people have posted photos of themselves?

Serious tho, when I was trying I did a below knee rack pull at 655. It’s on my list and Come June 2nd, I’ll be chasing it.

C’mon dude this thread’s like 200 replies long. I don’t have anywhere near the attention span for that!

Seems to me though that there’s not actually that many who have…

I know of seven on this site.

This is the most I have managed

This is mine

Didn’t get a chance to read your whole post but that guy definitely doesn’t have any leverage advantage I’d say what got him there was dedication to one lift

I think people here should post their best deadlift there time training the lift and their bodyweight. I think all the no s are from people that haven’t trained long enough.

I know for certain that

have pulled 600 or better. And then of course there are guys like @Alpha and @flipcollar, who haven’t posted in this thread, and others like @brady888, @jblues85, and @furo who are not there yet but are somewhere on the elevator upwards and still making good progress…

(updating the list above as I remember / figure out others)

I deadlifted 505 last week; in the last two days deadlifted 495 for a pair of solid singles (Sunday) the day after running 5 miles (Saturday) and then while running 8+ miles the next day (Monday), so I strongly suspect that if I were to drop all other fitness goals (i.e. stop running long distances and singlemindedly pursue a 600 deadlift) it would be within reach. I actually think it might be in the cards even without that. I intend to find out this year…

To follow Mark’s lead: I do have a history of barbell training from ages 13-22 (as a competitive wrestler and football player), then spent most of my time from 22-26 running long distance races, started doing kettlebell stuff at 27-28, then picked up a barbell again around my 29th birthday. I’m now about a year and a half into my second barbell life and pulling just over 500. I’ll let you guys know once 600 is within range…

This departs into the practical a little, but for me this is how deadlifting worked out:

• 396 lbs/four plates (kilos): no DL or other strength training, just a whole ton of kettlebell training. Some high rep light squats. Bodyweight around 185 lbs.
  • 500 lbs: nine months or so of linear strength training, DL heavy once a week. Bodyweight about 196 lbs
  • 550 lbs: about one year basically linear strength training, last three months incorporating some dedicated hypertrophy and speed work using opposite stance DL. Bodyweight about 200 lbs
  • 600 lbs: two years and four months training, last eight months 531 using predominantly opposite stance preceded by about 15 weeks of a meet prep cycle and before that a Frankenstein conjugate approach for about a year. Bodyweight about 214 lbs

I’ll give er a go on Wednesday, I was busy shattering my bench and squat PR’s tonight. :muscle: