T Nation

600lb Deadlift Possible for Everyone?

Sorry if I came across too serious. I thought you were being friendly actually. :wink: I just happened to respond a bit too seriously.

I think so too.

Good! There's way too much negativity out there.

The problem I have noticed is that internet has created and environment in which people view points are skewed in regards to what the average individual is likely to achieve in strength and development .

Yes it does. Adjust pulling style if necessary.

Everyone except a very few are going to have challenges along the way.

Well, I'm not sure that is a problem. @Alpha has said he thought he was very strong, when he was the strongest in his gym, but then he stared looking around on the internet and found a load of people being stronger than him. That revelation set the bar higher for him.

And I can say the same, although not in that order. I see people around me lift pretty low weights relative to what can be seen on the internet. So I know lifting far heavier weights is somehow possible, and I try to match that. Hell, a large part of them might be on drugs, but hey, shoot for the moon, even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

I agree but I think it’s skewed it in a manner that is both positive and negative. For some it motivates them. For others it sets unreasonable expectations.

I think I’m motivated but often left disappointed and beating myself up because I’m not where I think I should be in regards to muscle mass. I chase what I see naturally but never get there. I’ve learned that many of the images I’m chasing are using steroids. They’re not monsters; just cheaters who are slightly bigger and leaner than me. I’m mostly talking about the fitness models used as the cover for this or that workout. They’re close enough to natural reality that they fool me.

I’m not knocking anyone who uses PEDs. I just hate the fact that people do it and then brag to the world that they’re natural. “Maybe if I just use Plazma and Mag 10 religiously then I could get over the hump.” The fact is that I’ve been fooled.

These points relate more to muscle building but I think the same thing happens with strength levels. If (insert expert here) says you’re not strong until you’re pulling 700lbs then it must be true! I need to do their program so I can meet their unreal expectations!

This is so, so important. I'm not quite as good at this stuff as you or T3hPwnisher. I don't compete and I treat strength more like a hobby, clocking in way lower on the discipline scale than either of you guys. Even still, the same principles apply to us all.

For me, the casual but consistent lifter, it is not a matter of believing I can get better, its a matter of knowing I can, and believing that doing these things better could quite possibly yield a 700 pound pull as a lifetime natty. Maybe it won't but I'm definitely not ruling it out before I give it a shot.

I guess I don't see any real value in declaring something out-of-reach when it might not be. Not if it is something you're interested in reaching for, anyway.

Great discussion here.

One time Dave Tate wrote in an article on here, "anyone can have a 700 pound squat, including you."

I actually believed it!

Did you try for it? With multiply gear and wraps, I think that is pretty doable.

You have the quads for it Brick!

-Group;
How much should the ladies be Deadlifting?

I think this brings us back to where we started--could you squat 700 or pull 600? Could you do it naturally?

And most importantly, should you do it? That's up to each person to decide. What can be done and what are you willing to sacrifice to make it happen? Ronnie Coleman is a legend.... with two brand new hips. His only regret is not training harder.

I find this discussion primarily existential, and in many cases nihilism kinda ruins it, haha.

For the most part I agree but this topic has my wheels turning.... Can I Deadlift 600lbs???

Until this thread I'd never thought about my max or what I could achieve. I've just been training to improve overall strength, mass, and performance. I just want to improve and keep from falling apart as I age. But maybe now I want to pull 600lbs LOL

Honestly, if that is your goal, compete in strongman or powerlifting. You will progress much faster if you compete in a sport vs just train on your own. It changes things.

Exactly ... it can be a double edge sword for some from what i have seen.

I agree with this x100!! Too many times we go on YouTube and watch world champion powerlifters, Olympic Lifters and Strongmen and think this is the standard in which it takes to compete when in reality those guys (and gals) are in the top 1 percent in world class level strength and skill.

Also the strength “standards” that are put out there I feel are also crippling people when it comes to determining their strength in relation to their bodyweight. Me being 6’4" at 240 shouldn’t be held to the same standards as a guy 5’7" at 240. Yes some will say it gives people something to shoot for but I feel if you keep bettering yourself in the gym then who cares about if you have a 2x bodyweight squat or deadlift.

I think once people get in the mindset to always compete against themselves then that’s when you can get out of your own head and start achieving your goals. I think Wendler once said, your training journal is your best workout partner.

I didn't try to get a 700 pound squat. I think with drugs and becoming fat or obese i could get a mid-600s squat with enough years put into powerlifting. Seriously I think I'm too ectomorphic for serious powerlifting, for lack of a better description.

Raw, yeah, but multiply I think 700 is a possibility.

I mean, Matt Rhoades managed some great stuff with Marfan Syndrome. That's pretty darn ectomorphic.

It's certainly less than ideal, and it'd mean that the 1000lb+ club is out of reach for sure.

Hang on--are you saying there was/is a successful powerlifter/strongman competitor with Marfan's??!! That's crazy, in multiple senses of the word.

Pretty nuts huh? Haha. He's just about to/just got some heart surgery after doing an NOV meet with Jim Wendler too. He's retired from the sport, but according to his elitefts bio

"Rhodes has competed in powerlifting since 2001. His geared numbers include a 930 squat and a 605 bench. His raw numbers include a 650 squat, 485 bench and a 760 deadlift, all done in the 308-pound class."

"Nuts" doesn't begin to do justice to how crazy dangerous this is. And his numbers! Honestly, I don't know how he managed to avoid blowing out his aorta at some point. (I assume the heart surgery you refer to is for an aortic aneurysm.)