600lb Deadlift Possible for Everyone?

Surely you’re not expecting me to wait til I’m 40 to pull 600 :smile:

1 Like

I won’t pull 600 until 50+, so don’t feel so bad if it takes you a bit. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have 6+ years til I hit 40 and only need 55 lbs to hit 600. That sounds easy but I know myself better than that. I probably have a couple of injuries or setbacks in there too.

You’ll get there soon; well before me.

My problem is that I turn 50 in two weeks. So time has gotten away from me. LOL.

Two years ago I pulled 529 in competition, then 6 months later 550 in the gym. But back issues cropped up, training was less consistent and my DL stalled. Now back on track with some setup tweaks but too late to make it to 600 before 50.

1 Like

I think maintaining decent strength into old age is better than peaking early, falling apart, and going into your senior years weak, fat, and nearly crippled (I know that’s probably a bit extreme lol).

For the record I consider senior years to be 60 and up (maybe that’s too young). Deadlifting 4 plates for reps in your 60s would be cool.

1 Like

I already called dibs. Is nothing sacred anymore!!!

I’m stuck around 535, 545 is probably some dumb mental block thing but whatever. I’m sure 600 is doable and I used to be insanely weak and frail.

That said, what the hell needs improvement? First and foremost, I can’t continue to skip the abs and lower back work just because I’m lean and symmetric. Fuck that. How many people skip abs workouts? Too many. How many lifters pale at the core in comparison to gymnasts? So that’s one massive area of improvement.

I’m convinced that rack pulls are going to yield huge benefits so they’re going to be done more consistently too.

1 Like

Pretty old post but you didnt get a reply.

I was stuck at 550 for ages, like 2 years. I first hit it as a PR maybe 3.5 years ago, and it was still my PR coming up to last christmas (Christmas 2017)

In 3 months I went from 550-605 and last year I went from 605 to 675.

The only difference was I started training squats consistently, and started training deadlifts with less weekly volume.

1 Like

Squats are the key to a big deadlift. I didn’t even train deadlift for a month…but was hitting the squat like a beast. I came back to the deadlift while still doing squats in fatigue and hit a 20lb pr in the dead.

I agree with you big time. Want to DL big? Hit the squats hard and be careful not to overtrain the DL

3 Likes

Now if only I could find out the key to a big Squat. Because it doesn’t seem to be squats.

2 Likes

Could it be deadlifts? :slight_smile:

@Pinkylifting and @losthog how were you guys training your squat that translated into the big deadlift?

During the 14 months between 550 and 675 I was training the squat exclusively for powerlifting. I ran 1 PowerLiftingToWin intermediate cycle, 2 abbreviated Sheiko cycles, 10 weeks of Bulgarian for Powerlifting and finally maybe 8-12 weeks of PH3 (with none of the hypertrophy work).

Basically squats 3x per week for most of it, 70-90% 1-5 reps

1 Like

Cool man, thanks.

The higher intensity squat work, like PH3 and PTW seemed to give more acute DL gains than the Sheiko work which didn’t really do much for it.

1 Like

Gotcha, I might give those a go later this year. Thanks again.

I’ve been running the 12 weeks to big wheels on tnation and it is 70%-90% and hitting the legs hard. It’s interesting that the percentages of the programming is similar and affected the deadlift.

To make squat grow? I’m assuming that core strength is the limiting actor. Stronger core more can be packed on the back.

2 Likes

how much can you squat? Your deadlift is significantly higher than mine, I’m wondering if your squat is too.

I don’t think my 370 lb squat contributed much to my 545 lb deadlift. I have to be one of the rarities with a near 200 lb discrepancy between the two - at least with the Deadlift being the higher number.

Doubt it. Squat PB Is 510