600lb Deadlift Possible for Everyone?

It’s possible. I have witnessed a guy pull over 500 wrapped single ply at 5’8 and under 180 pull this amount. He was committed and very intelligent in his approach to PL. 600 pulls are impressive but attainable by the average person. I would chime in that you would have to have an above average intellect/drive because average kind of implies that they are just that. Which would say that they have average goals. Without getting all philosophical it is possible for the average body type, not the average mind.

1 Like

just as well you’ve got such a nice penis

(that’ll seem like the weirdest comment ever to anyone who didn’t see the other thread)

4 Likes

I mean, I was in the other thread and I’m still uncomfortable.

4 Likes

I don’t think bragging about your penis has any place in a dick measuring thread like this.

Back on topic!

My gym has multiple 600+ pullers. Included in that lot are what I’d call a lot of regular guys.

The owner competes as a 165 and recently pulled 661 in a multi-ply meet. He’s in his 50’s and is about 5’6". You would not look at him and guess that he can do this, but he can.

Another fella in his 50’s has pulled over 700 as a SHW. He’s about the same size as me now and can still pull in the high 5’s. He hit over 600 with a suit in his last meet. Again, you would not look at this guy and think he could do this.

My lifting partner has pulled 585 and is well within reach of a 600 pull. He’s been lifting for 15 years.

We’ve got a 650 puller who walks around at about 250.

The golden boy just hit 600 on his 30’th birthday the other week. He competes in the USAPL as a 181’er. He looks like a model, so fuck that guy and his magnificent beard. Genetics, unfair advantages, mesomorph, some such other noise.

We’ve got two 800+ pullers who are very large men.

I don’t look at any of these guys and say “I could never be like him”.

3 Likes

Not even close to “your average person”. You mean average stature. That guy is a freak of nature. I doubt more than 5 percent of males are capable of achieving a 410 raw bench by age of 30 regardless of their training dedication.

1 Like

Truth! It’s nice to see someone can point out such an anomaly as well. As I said in my previous post, he is far from average!

I don’t say this in a rude way and I respect your ambition, and you might be someone with the capability to deadlift 600 pounds with the right decisions and dedication. However, your belief in yourself has nothing to do with men who aren’t capable.

You happen to work out in a gym where there are a few men who can deadlift 600 pounds. I currently work out in a gym in which I’d say the vast majority of men are incapable of such a feat, regardless of dedication and belief. That would change if I renewed my membership at Bev Francis’s Powerhouse where I still go on occasion and where I was a member when I prepped for my show, specifically because I wanted to workout around men who are better than me.

While at that gym, I could spin something similar to what you said, but with a bodybuilding slant. I could say there are dozens of IFBB pros at my gym, male and female, some of whom are regular guys, implying that with enough dedication and right decisions and actions, any average yokel can be an IFBB pro! (Well, admittedly the chances are higher in this day and age as compared to the 90’s when it was near statistically impossible to do so, but people can catch my drift.)

I agree that one shouldn’t bog oneself down with such self-defeatism while trying to accomplish something; hence why I had no patience to listen to talks of FFMI, fake-natty status, and so on, when I was prepping. Like I said, I was ecstatic about what I achieved, but I will not be stepping onstage with Phil Heath.

When we say average men, I’d like to pinpoint what we are considering average. I say average is someone with genetics of five on a scale of ten considering I don’t know how else to put the genetics issue into perspective. Many men have genetics below this figure I go by. I believe men with genes below five for strength or muscular gains as incapable of looking like a bodybuilder, and certainly being unable to deadlift 600 or even bench press 300. Which is why I can’t agree that ANYONE can accomplish a 600 pound deadlift. Perhaps if someone said, “most men with decent genes can deadlift 600,” I’d be right on board. But I think to say ANY healthy man (free of disease or other abnormalities and can complete activities of daily living) is totally unrealistic.

And again, that’s your gym. If you went to a Life Time Fitness or Bally’s around here, you wouldn’t be able to say, “My gym has multiple 600+ plus pullers.”

I’ve never made the “any man” argument. I’m firmly in the “most healthy, normal men” camp.

Also, to be clear, I have deadlifted over 600.

1 Like

Whats your weight deadlift and years training. Just curious

Most of your posts are in off topic so must ask…DO YOU EVEN LIFT.

I go to a health an wellness center I pull mid 6 and have 3 others pulling 585 another puling 565 and 2-3 more pulling low 5. one pulling 585 is in his 40s and one pulling low 5 is almost 50- he started like 4 years ago lifting

Anyone on here saying its not possible are the ones with a bad mentality and will thus never pull 600. Their made average but their flaw is not in their body.

3 Likes

LOL Probably since before you were born. Current stats:
52 YO
6’1, 180
DL 400+
Sq 300+
Bench 100lb DB for a couple
Vertical 28-30ish
Broad Jump 9’+
100m 12.5ish
I can hit pitchers fresh out of college throwing 85 and snapping shit off and I can run down stuff flying through the air like a predatory animal.

I play a lot of sports when it’s nice out and lift to gain in the winter. Without targeting the squat & dead they will both be much higher by March and I might get a couple more reps on the presses with those 100 lb DBs.

I’d say I have average genetics but I am far more handsome than average.

1 Like

So your telling me your tall not very heavy for your height, train weights only part of the year and are 52 years old and deadlift over 400 and you don’t feel like someone half your age giving it everything they have could lift 50% more weight. Am I getting that right?

And you say that without trying to increase your deadlift you will lift much more.

Wait were you agreeing with everyone can get a 600 pull if they tried or not cause you were talking about that other kid. He has no physical advantage to move that weight anything that cant be seen is assumed. But if you tell him he didn’t ungodly hard for that hed probably laugh at you

Long day I’m going to sleep

2 Likes

I’ll be the judge of that…

No, I think less than 50% of males have the capacity to DL 600 in their prime.

I do lift weights year round, just not to gain for ~7-8 months out of the year. I hope to get my DL up to 450 by March but it’s going up faster than normal because I got my appendix yanked last February and I didn’t really get a chance to start building back up until October.

For some people the difference between 400 and 600 is a tip toe through the tuli’s. For others (us 51 percenters) the 200 pounds is insurmountable.

You know, I think this discussion touches more on what comes easily to some people (not discounting hard work) more so than it does what is “average”.

I eluded to playing in an 18 and over baseball league above. I also played in a 35+ league but I am not going to next summer because that league is very frustrating to me. An infielder will knock down a ball and I will be thinking to myself “okay good, you knocked that shit down now get up off the ground, pick the ball up and walk over to the bag before that slow-as-shit runner gets there. Wait a minute, why aren’t you getting up? Why aren’t you getting the ball and tagging the freaking base? He’s so fucking slow you’ve got time, you’ve got time you’ve got time AAAGGGGHHH.”

Movement comes easily to me. It does not for most guys in that league. Lifting big weight comes easily to some people, it does not for most people no matter how hard they try.

Gawd I love an opportunity to slip in a nice HB.

2 Likes

I hope so. It’ll be cool if we can work it out.

Good!

Yes, in THAT health and wellness center.

At this point I will conclude that you and I don’t see eye-to-eye on this. It’s great to have a positive attitude in any endeavor and I think if someone tries very hard they might indeed wind up farther than one thought he could. That doesn’t mean success is imminent in anything.

I respect your accomplishment.

1 Like

FYI, @twojarslave now lifts at a gym with multiple 600+ pullers because he was invited by some super-secret invitation to join the most powerful gym in Maine, or something like that, but he did spend his first couple years training in a normal gym with the usual assortment of deplorables, so it’s not like he’s never been exposed to a “normal” gym environment.

In contrast, there is no one at my gym deadlifting 600 pounds. Why? Because there is almost no one at my gym deadlifting at all! My gym has the usual combination of old guys walking on treadmills, girls that show up for the Zumba class, and a handful of skinny guys that do most of their lifting on machines. There are only 3 or 4 other guys that I’ve seen performing any of the Big Three with regularity. And yet, even working out in that environment with a bunch of frail weaklings, I share twojar’s basic sentiment that a big pull (although I’m pegging this at more like 500) is within reach for the vast majority of able-bodied males as long as they work on it before leaving their physical prime.

I think you’re looking around, seeing a lot of people who are (in their present form) “diminutive and uncoordinated” and assuming that they possess little potential for growth. I go back to my earlier thought experiment: suppose that the amount of money people made at their jobs was somehow tied to their max deadlift (or @Reed 's more extreme example, lol, of a bullet to the head for people that don’t hit a certain milestone). If people actually needed to deadlift 600 pounds for some reason, I think most of those guys you’re assessing as incapable of the feat would suddenly start looking a lot more capable!

Sort of a spin on the “Your Imaginary Protege” thread, I’d like to see what would happen with a person you’ve assessed as being incapable of a 600 deadlift who (assuming they adjusted their attitude) started training with someone like @Alpha or @T3hPwnisher or @twojarslave or, hell, even lowly little me. Get them to attack a big deadlift with a single-minded focus for a year or two, and they’d start looking a lot more capable!

3 Likes

I reached out to the owner on facebook, but super-secret invitation sounds good.

While I’m flattered to be mentioned in the same sentence, one of us is not like the others. Two of those guys are competitive strongman and one of them is a beer pong champion.

I asked this to the nay-sayers earlier but nobody answered. I’ll rephrase it here.

How many people do you know who’ve not just lifted weights, but lifted weights with the specific goal of strength development, ate to support strength gains and did so with the intent of meeting or exceeding a 600 pound pull? How many were successful? How many failed?

If we could somehow measure the outcomes among people who fit that description (plus weed out the people who are nothing but talk), I think we would see a surprisingly high success rate. Greater than 50%.

@BrickHead. I bring up myself and my gym companions not because we’re some concentration of elite genetic potential. A few of the lifters there might be, but not most. We’re mostly regular guys who’ve made moving barbells our business for at least a few years, some for many many years.

2 Likes

I’ve never applied myself to any one particular lift. I’ve always used an all around approach and always made sure to do plenty of leg and back work. I’d put myself in the bodybuilding camp although I’ll never compete and doubt I’ll even cut for the hell of it. I train to be strong, athletic, and more muscular than average.

That being said, I think I have slightly above average genetics (maybe I just appear that way b/c I’ve never adopted the sedentary American lifestyle). I’m 6’5" with long legs and I just pulled 450 on my first real all out max on deadlift. I’ve only recently started doing deadlifts but I’ve done power cleans for awhile so I haven’t been completely without a pull.

I state all this because I should have the potential to pull 600 based on most of the input here. What do you guys think?

My concerns–I’m 32 and past my prime; I’ve had back problems in the past (L3/L4 disc); and hard work vs smart work (if I run into injuries is it worth it to continue pushing?).

Also, with the exception of @Reed have any of you pulled 600 or more while maintaining a 6 pack?

1 Like