T Nation

600lb deadlift at 195

I realize we have a PR thread, but it seems to be dead and I’m just fucking proud of this

Skip to about 1:30

I use straps in all of my training. Whenever I pull heavy without them, I rupture something in my left hand, so I save that for competition.

Great work. Do you think the straps change your form at all? And do you train your grip?

[quote]frankjl wrote:
Great work. Do you think the straps change your form at all? And do you train your grip?[/quote]

Yup, I can close a CoC 2.5 and I close the 2 for reps at my desk at work. I’ve never had a grip issue in a meet before, and pulled an 8 second 585lb deadlift around this same time last year with no straps

I am sure there are some slight changes in form, since now I can pull double overhand versus mixed grip, but it hasn’t been enough to bother me in comp. I train my warm-ups without the straps so that I’m still at least used to the feeling.

Thanks.

What has been the most beneficial thing you do for you deadlift? Is it a specific program, technique, assisstance exercise?

That’s a great pull. Teach me how to get there.

Awesome lift and great technique. Digging the narrow stance.

[quote]Ambugaton wrote:
What has been the most beneficial thing you do for you deadlift? Is it a specific program, technique, assisstance exercise?

That’s a great pull. Teach me how to get there.[/quote]

I actually made a thread on this a little while ago. I use nothing but ROM progression for my dead

My most recent cycle ended with 545 for 7 (with a 1 minute rest for 1 more rep)

That’s a great pull. More power to you if you can pull heavy with straps, I have a real hard time getting set up with straps on a heavy single because I like to dive-bomb it. I tried the other day and it sucked.

Great work.

[quote]MightyMouse17 wrote:
Awesome lift and great technique. Digging the narrow stance.[/quote]

Thank you. I used to pull with a wider stance, and consequently think it was responsible for contributing to a terrible back injury that prevented me from deadlifting for 3 years. Once I started again, I used the narrow stance, and had zero back pain.

I feel that a narrower stance allows you to get better leg drive off the floor, whereas when you use a wider stance you are forced to stiff leg the weight up. Additionally, a narrower stance allows you to bring your grip in more, which can aid in setting up a better back angle.

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:
That’s a great pull. More power to you if you can pull heavy with straps, I have a real hard time getting set up with straps on a heavy single because I like to dive-bomb it. I tried the other day and it sucked.

Great work. [/quote]

Thank you. Yeah, I try to simulate the dive bomb even with the straps, but it’s difficult. I had a helluva time learning how to pull with straps at first, but after my hand exploded I didn’t really have a choice.

Yeah buddy, nice work

Thanks Tim. That means a lot coming from you. I’m a big fan of your work.

excellent

great pull! looked really good

Fuck man. I want a 600 pull more than anything.

[quote]csulli wrote:
Fuck man. I want a 600 pull more than anything.[/quote]

Me too!!!

Awesome job!

[quote]csulli wrote:
Fuck man. I want a 600 pull more than anything.[/quote]

I hear ya. I was chasing this ever since I was 16. And now, I want 800, haha.

Good job, Jean Claude Van Damme.

[quote]Controversy wrote:
Good job, Jean Claude Van Damme. [/quote]

I am afraid I don’t understand the reference to our nation’s greatest TimeCop, but I will accept the kudos regardless.

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:

[quote]Controversy wrote:
Good job, Jean Claude Van Damme. [/quote]

I am afraid I don’t understand the reference to our nation’s greatest TimeCop, but I will accept the kudos regardless.[/quote]
I’m pretty sure he’s just mentioning that he is a big fan of your work in Bloodsport. Fighting in the Kumate has cleary paid off big time in that deadlift.

Seriously though, nice pull

Congrats, 3 X bodyweight is a huge lift. Enjoy that one and be proud.