T Nation

600 Lbs Squat

So, how many people this year are trying for 600+? Raw or equipped?

I’m at 573 w/ some equipment and hoping that I’ll blow 600 by in the first quarter of the year.

I will hopefully have mine this year. Multiply cheater gear all the way.

800 plies and rocket boosters on my ass.

[quote]Stronghold wrote:
800 plies and rocket boosters in my ass.[/quote]

Actually, because of the amount of pain and awesomeness that requires, it’s actually the OPPOSITE of cheating.

I can’t handle multiply by myself. Heck, I can’t even handle a decently tight bench shirt since I train alone. Equipment is difficult!

I’m right around 500 raw and would love 600 raw this year at 220 but I don’t know how realistic that is.

By raw I mean belt and singlet. There’s a big gulf between 5 and 6. Plenty of 98’s and 220’s that can squat 500, but 600 ain’t no joke.

I’ve already hit 6 equipped, 7’s the next short/medium term goal there.

I’d like to do 600 in just knee wraps this year tho. I reckon I’m around 550 at the moment.

Ramo, you mean raw, equipped, or just in general?

I’m a skinny 198er (192 this morning)and I’m hoping to make the move from 500 to 600 smooth one. If all goes as planned, it’ll take less than one year to make the 100 lbs jump.

[quote]Hanley wrote:

I’d like to do 600 in just knee wraps this year tho. I reckon I’m around 550 at the moment.[/quote]

Always bragging! I’m just kidding. 600 in knee wraps @ 220?

[quote]Synthetickiller wrote:
Hanley wrote:

I’d like to do 600 in just knee wraps this year tho. I reckon I’m around 550 at the moment.

Always bragging! I’m just kidding. 600 in knee wraps @ 220?[/quote]

242 bro!

ill join in too, i dont know where i am at but it is somewherein the 540 to 550 range, but tomorow i test for this upcoming meet we have. This is equiped.

Im going for a 600lb squat as well, should be no problem with some gear on, i want to hit it with some cheap power pants by the end of the year.

I would like to hit 600lb in a viking 2ply as soon as i can hit depth,lol.

Single ply current: 545lb (powerpants)at 181
2ply current: 625lb (high, cant get depth on these)at 181

[quote]Synthetickiller wrote:
Ramo, you mean raw, equipped, or just in general?

I’m a skinny 198er (192 this morning)and I’m hoping to make the move from 500 to 600 smooth one. If all goes as planned, it’ll take less than one year to make the 100 lbs jump.[/quote]

I mean raw. Not that 600 at 198 isn’t a good squat, it is, specially in the USAPL. But 600 raw at 98 or 220 is a badass squat. Actually, in the USAPL, where raw means belt and no wraps, only one or a couple guys made 600 last year. I think Schnitzer might have been the only one.

In my humble opinion, for what it’s worth, maybe not much, 500 in just a belt at 198 would be as impressive or moreso than a 600 single ply effort. But now I’m on the verge of opening a can of worms and have no desire to do that. They’re both cool accomplishments.

@ Ramo, I agree on all counts.

I like raw, but due to a back injury, briefs really keep me from digressing and prevents a lot of injury by keeping my hips tight vs raw.

@ Hanely,

Damn, 242? When did that happen? I’ve been really busy and haven’t noticed. I’m still the weight I was 6 months ago.

@ Matso,

That’s a good squat man, keep it up!

Good luck guys!

I want to hit 600 raw this year. I know I can hit ~550 in just a belt. Whorish multiply squatting is still my priority, but I notice good carryover from equipped squatting to raw.

All this talk of hitting 600 at 198 or 220…I’d be happy to hit it at 275 this year. Raw of course. No cheating. :wink:

I’m deff shooting for a 600lbs raw squat, either as a 181er or 198er, haven’t decided yet.

I hit 660 in single ply gear in 08’, so the logical goal would be 700 in contest this year…which should definitely be doable, hopefully before the summer. I’d like to do 600+ belt and wraps at 210lbs as well and 550 raw.

I’m going for an olympic stance ATG squat 600 lbs raw this year. I believe I’m somewhere around 540-550 if I could ever get my technique straightened out. Multiple mobility issues and a couple recurring technique flaws (no doubt exacerbated by my present mobility issues) from training alone all those years.

My partner should help me get those straightened out this year. So far I’ve smoked a raw 600 lb squat reverse bands (495 at the bottom). That felt like I was squatting air–I didn’t even remember feeling the bar on my back. But the 615 got stuck in the hole for some reason–fucking technique problems >:O. They’re infuriating me!

Curious to see how you guys are training.

thanks.

Shoot, I’ll be happy with 300 raw and 400 equipped (single ply).