T Nation

6 Weeks to Superhero

I'm old but I have to give this a shot. I'm curious though. It would seem to me that the power clean would be a better fit during the squat star complex, with the power snatch a better fit in the deadlift complex. Am I that far off?
Has there been any changes to this program since it was written, or acceptable alternatives?

Definitely give it a shot. I’ve gone through it twice and always had very visible physique changes.

I kept the cleans/snatches on the days CT recommended, but I did sub in kettlebell swings for the jump good mornings.

I’ve also seen CT mention that you could do one circuit per day, and pair it with carries. (IE: Monday: Bench complex, then 5 sets of 1 min bear hug carries, Tuesday: Deadlift complex, and 5 sets of farmers walks, etc).

Interesting. I just don’t know if I could reserve that much equipment without being “that guy”.
I’m going to finish the program I’m on and look at the how. We’ll see.

[quote]jp_dubya wrote:
I’m old but I have to give this a shot. I’m curious though. It would seem to me that the power clean would be a better fit during the squat star complex, with the power snatch a better fit in the deadlift complex. Am I that far off?
Has there been any changes to this program since it was written, or acceptable alternatives?[/quote]

No, the snatch requires a bit more leg drive since you need to get the bar higher up.

Not to mention that the hips tend to be lower in the starting position in the snatch than clean which makes the clean less similar to a squat and more to a deadlift.

Makes sense. I am trying to self learn the power snatch and power clean and I have to say, the learning curve is nowhere near as steep as I would like. I haven’t the funds to go to a coach so I have to watch videos and read as much as I can for free. Your articles help, as well as some youtube videos. One that I found that has helped me learn the “power” part of either lift is here. www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL72DD653D2CA422A4

It then helped me understand some of the coaching cues that you have given. I am still not getting as much of the violence out of the explosion part as well as I would like but it is getting there. My push press is still not as synched as I would like it but it is a work in progress as well.
Do you use the same foot position for snatch and clean?