6 Weeks to Prove Myself

This is going to be long and probably not well written but bare with me please

A little :stuck_out_tongue: background info:

Im 19 from Ireland but i currently live in Glasgow, Scotland where i go to uni. I have played rugby since i was about 4. Ive taken rugby serious ie. training rugby specific, since i was about 15.

ive had some success, representing my county and country at youth/schools level. But as the sport has got faster and fitter i havnt kept up. Im one of those ā€œold skoolā€ type props. that is good in the scrums and tight situations but very undynamic about the pitch. ie i fall into rucks and mauls more times than actually do anything in them.

i used to be a great ball carrier and made lots of ground but now everyone else has caught up with my size and i am no longer effective. my last game at a decnt level was nearly a 18 months ago. since then i have been playing for a team about 3/4 leagues below what i was used to. ive started to accept this is the league for meā€¦ but my heart tells me im a lot better than everybody around me in this league.

i am currently in a state of flux and dont no wheather to pursue my dream of playing top flight rugby or switch it up and train for power lifitng or strongman competitions.

my stats atm

6ft2
21stone/ 135 kilos
50 inch chest
42/44 inch waist
no idea what my BF% is but its definatly high (dangerously)

1RMs
deadlift 190kg / 420 lbs
bench 100kg / 220lbs
box squat 160kg / 355 lbs

as you read my stats, you will see im hardly, ā€œhealthyā€ and im feeling more and more unfit daily. thats what i want to change.

i have started a few logs on here before and even started the VDiet but i failed. imo i have failed before becasue of being in uni and being surrounded by sooo many bad influences. the last VDiet i attempted i failed because of a few factors outside my control.

i got robbed on the second day of week 2, my laptop, hifi was stolen and my room wreaked. i couldnt claim on the insurance because i had left the window on the SAFETY latch. :frowning:

then 2 days later my mum got mugged back in ireland. so i had to fly home and sort that out. found the guy, heā€™ll not do it again. but lets not go into that.

so pretty much since the middle of May i havnt been back into the gym or watching what i ateā€¦ ive been spiralling into the ā€œim unhappy because im fat, but i eat because im unhappyā€ frame of thinking. and becoming more and more depressed and demotivated. all i have done since middle of may is play 2 rugby matches. and pretty much ate like a pig.

so ive taken pretty drastic measureā€¦ uni ended on the 7th June. but im not going home. im not going to see my family. im not letting my friends come visit me.

i have payed to stay on in halls by myself for 6 weeks. on the 15th july i go to belgium for a festival and i want to ā€œEARNā€ this!!

all my friends are away home. i started a new labouring job on monday to get me out of the flat and into a routine. im working shifts of 7-3/4pm, 4/5 days a week. the work hasnt been that taxing so far but i dont know what lies in store for me.

naturally i am a lazy kinda guy unless someone motivates me or i get into a routine. the only time i was happy with my body was the end of 2 summers ago when i was training every morning at 7.30am 5 days a week in the school gym with my rugy team.

we had got a new/basic gym installed and our new coach had a grounding in strength training and put us through are paces. this is when i grew to love the iron game. i was naturally stronger than all the guys and i made pretty fast gains. i had been training for about 8 weeks. with an average of 7 sessions a week and i was big. not ripped or anything. i still had a stomach. u might have been able to see a 2 pack if the lighting was right and i posed :stuck_out_tongue: i had some sort of VTaper and felt really really good.

its been all downhill since then. pictures will follow.

my goal isā€¦ to be down to a 38 inch waist. increase all my 1RMs. get Fitter and decrease my BF% but i dont really want to dip below 18stone. im not bothered by ā€œthe cover modelā€ look or anything. i want to look like the mean mother fucker i used to. i want to intimidate people.

Long term goal date is 27th October. thats my 20th birthday. by then i want to be able to look at myself in the mirror and not be ashamed. i want to be able to take my top off on a hot day and go talk to a chick with confidence. i want to think about (maybe not actually do) buying a tshirt a size smaller so i can show my body off.

i know in my heart that under this sizeable layer of FAT i actually have a decent frame of muscle. i come from a long line of strong men, all my relatives on my dads side were/are farmers, most of the men on mums side are construction workers. there all naturally big strong guys.

my dad is 45 and he can still out bench me and he runs marathons. so i think i have decent genetics. they never watched their diets or were very scientific about it. they just got BIG and strong.

i want people to be afraid to call me ā€œbig ladā€ incase i rip their heads off.

So to achieve this i have put myself into my own ā€œBoot Campā€. i have isolated myself from everyone. i have shaved of my long hair. I will need a good kick up the arse from you guys. i want you all to rip me to shreds if i need and even if i dont. Dont pussy foot around me.
Tough love is the best love

This is the start of my new life, a new me.

These are from March. i think i am pretty much like this now if not worse.

Fat me side

FATcep :stuck_out_tongue:

back

Thunder thighs

FRONT :frowning:

My training plan of action is.

Session 1
Military Press 5x5
Dead Lift 5x5
then 4x8 isolations supersetted together

Session 2
Bench 5x5
Bent Row 5x5

Session 3
ATG Squat 5x5
Bulgarian Spilt Squats 5x5
Step ups 5x5

Session 4 - Olympics Day :slight_smile:
Snatch 3x5
Clean + Press 3x5
Cleans 3x5
Hang cleans 3x5
Sumo Dead upright Row 3x5
High Pulls 3x5
Snatch Squats 3x5

HIIT sessions
10min interval on rower 30 secs on 30 secs off
10 min interval on bike 30 secs on 30 secs off
once i become better at these ill increase the amount of time or decrease the amount of offs.

with work etc. im not sure if ill be in a regular times days. ut i want to get in at least 5 days a week and get everything above done. that might mean doing weights and then HIIT. so be it. i might get in every day and on weekends i am hopeing to go once in the morning and once in the evening. one weights and one HIIT a day on weekends. im going to go ā€œballs to the wallā€ in the gym. aim to spend less than an hour everytime

This may sound extreme, or maybe not. TELL ME. but its six weeks.

Diet i am thinking off is LOW CARB. i had great results on this last time and actually enjoyed it. only carbs will be porridge 30 mins before a workout if at all.

6-7 meals a day with shakes counting as meals

supps:
Protein
4-6 HOT-ROX Extreme a day
1 multi vit a day
2 norateen a day (Tbooster, havnt got enough left for 6 weeks but ill use it now)
3 fishoil tablets
4 Zinc + Mag tabs

critque me please!

Today was my first gym session

i used it (maybe not wisely) as a day to find out where i am in relation to my lifts etc.

workout:
Military/push press 5x5 60kg

last rep of set 4 was a push press and so was last 3 of set 5

Deadlift
60kg x 8
100kg x 8
140kg x5
160kg 2x3
170kg x2
180kg x1
190kg x1
160kg x4
120kg x4

i equaled my 1RM. very happy with that.

Clean + press 60kg
2x5

snatch squat
2x4 @ 30kg. first time ive ever done this. very hard

Box Squat 100kg
3x5

ATG Squat - first time ever going so low
x5 @ 20kg
x5 @ 40kg
x5 @ 60kg
x5 @ 70kg

not sure how my form was on thisā€¦ back began to hurt but i had just equaled my PB in deadlift. my nipples were just over my toes at the very bottomā€¦ right or wrong?

bench 5x5 60kg

close grip bench 50kg 3x5

Im wreaked atm while i write this, but quite happy about deadlift and most other lifts. io dont seem to have lost that much strength which baffles me. how could this be???

im working tomorrow. going to do HIIT in the gym after. then start the sequence from session 1 on thursday!

any tips, rippings very welcome.

cheers
Scott

Hey man, good luck with your endeavor. I am in the same boat so I feel your pain.

My suggestions are:
a) do cardio twice a day

I noticed that you are doing HIIT but for 20 minutes. Try adding a morning walk for an hour. Right now I go for hour walks twice a day in my off days and once when I go to the gym, followed by 45 mins of cardio.

b) weigh yourself once a week, if you do it daily it will mess you up. You will fly high when you lose two pounds or be upset when there is no change on the scale.

c) keep updating this journal. It makes you accountable

Low carb diet seems the way to go. Start including in your log what you ate. Also I am questioning your carb timing. I think its better to eat carbs after your workout not before.

Ideally you want them during your workout. Buy some Surge if you can afford it and have a scoop, drink half when you start and half when you get done. Personally I always do 5 mins on the bike before my workout to get my blood pumping a little bit. I drink Surge while biking and then have sips while working out. When I am done with the weights I will finish it up and hit cardio.

[quote]nikoa wrote:
Hey man, good luck with your endeavor. I am in the same boat so I feel your pain.

My suggestions are:
a) do cardio twice a day

I noticed that you are doing HIIT but for 20 minutes. Try adding a morning walk for an hour. Right now I go for hour walks twice a day in my off days and once when I go to the gym, followed by 45 mins of cardio.

b) weigh yourself once a week, if you do it daily it will mess you up. You will fly high when you lose two pounds or be upset when there is no change on the scale.

c) keep updating this journal. It makes you accountable[/quote]

cheers for the adviceā€¦ but, i am doing about 5 hours labouring a day. imo thats enough cardio?!?

i plan to weigh myself every monday morning before i go to work, so roughly 6am.

as i said in my write up im not drastically looking to cut actual weight but just get smaller and ā€œstrongerā€ looking.

i will write a review of exactly what i did/ate everyday. and i prob wont be off this site lol.

cant afford Surge as im in scotland and the delivery and tax is ridiculous.

i can work out well in severe keitosis (sp) and am going to try to limit my carbs extensively. their are some carbs in my PWOShake

the gym is a 5min run from my flat so i use that to warm up.

KEEP IT COMING

today has went well so far.

6am Wake up

Meal 1 - Protein shake with 5g creatine. 2 potato farls, no butter.

2 HOT-ROX, Multi Vit and a Norateen

7am - 10am Labouring

10am Break - Cup of tea

10am - 2pm Labouring

Meal 2
Salad:
lettuce
3 boiled eggs
2 tomatos
1 scallion
half a carrot
6 slices of pork
handfull of peanuts
dolop of salad cream

2pm - 5pm Labouring with a few handfuls of peanuts

Throughout the day i drank 5L of Milk

6pm - Meal 3
Steak Pie minus the pastry. so just basically lumps of steak in gravy with onions

2 Fishoil Tabs and 3 ZMA

8pm - meal 4 Protein Shake

9pm Bed

Working tomorrow at 7am again and i did ā€œeverythingā€ in the gym yesterday. so i wont be heading to the gym tonight.

12/06/08

6am Wake up

6.30am Meal 1:
3 Boiled Eggs with 2 slices of potato farl. mixed the eggs in a cup with some butter.
+
2 HOT-ROX, Multi Vit, 2 Norateen

7am-1pm Labouring

1pm Meal 2:
150g Roasted Peanuts + 2 Bananas

2.30pm Meal 3 :
150g Roasted Peanuts then bed

5pm Wakeup - 2 Norateen

5.30pm Gym workout:

Bench 5x5 70kg
supersetted with
Bent Row 5x5 65kg

Close Grip Bench 5x6 55kg
supersetted with
Bicep Barbell Curls 5x5 40kg

Dumbell Flys 5x5 12.5kg
supersetted with
Standing Bent flys 5x5 17.5kg

6.30pm Meal 4:
PWO + 5g Creatine with 2 Fishoil + 3 ZMA

8.30pm Meal 5:
Ommelette:
6 Whole Eggs
1/2 Onion
1/4 Red Pepper
4 Mushrooms
2 Tomatoes
4 Slices Lean Chopped Bacon
Handful Grated Medium Chedder Cheese
Oregano
Scattering of Crushed Garlic

10pm Meal 6:
Protein Shake + Banana + Handful Peanuts

9/10pm Bed

Thats how the day has went/will go!

No Work tomorrow so gonna sleep in till about 10/11 then do Legs in gym.

Got sunburnt today/yesterday and it still stings. i am also living in a new flat and have new flat mates; a chinese couple who dont speak english, a chinese man who does spek english and a black guy ive only seen twice and it was at 6am both timesā€¦

Good luck with your training maybe look at complex edt by Charles Staley or I did three months of this as a primer and lost 40lbs. I set up three pr zones this seems to be geared more for athletic performance in my mind. Fast and fun program and truly an ass kicker. Keep motivated.

[quote]jmkb1 wrote:
Good luck with your training maybe look at complex edt by Charles Staley or I did three months of this as a primer and lost 40lbs. I set up three pr zones this seems to be geared more for athletic performance in my mind. Fast and fun program and truly an ass kicker. Keep motivated.

[/quote]

i like the sound of the EDT stuff. still unsure what im going to doā€¦ im conteplating a V-Diet starting next week or i might go uber low carb. i dunno. still want to retain all my muscle mas and get stronger.

cheers for stopping by!

13/06/08

12 midday Wake up

1pm Meal 1
ommellete:
4 whole eggs
1/4 red pepper
1/3 white onion
4 slices lean bacon
6 chopped mushrooms
2 tomatoes
handful of mild chedder
handful of roasted peanuts
Protein shake
2 HOT-ROX

15.30 Cineam + Meal 2:
Bottle Water
100g Roasted Peanuts

18.30 Meal 3:
Banana + Pint of Semi Skimmed Milk

19.30 Gym

ATG Squats:
x8 20kg
x8 60kg
2x6 80kg
5x5 100kg
x8 100kg

Split Squats:
2x5 12.5kg dumbells

leg press
3x8 230lbs/105

Calf Press
3x12 230lbs/105kgs

Review - nearly puked 3 times while doing the ATGs. i got the last set spotted and he screamed me to 8 reps. i couldnt balance on the Split Squats as my whole body was still recovering from the squats. starting to enjoy going stupidly low. :stuck_out_tongue:

Presses and calf presses were fine. i went as heavy as the machine would let me. i will have to find someway of adding weight to it. I ran out of time but i as i ws going to finish on some Dynamic Weighted Step Ups. My legs are already sore. the next few days should be fun. Tomorrow shoulders and arms. :stuck_out_tongue:

PWO (Meal 4)- 2 scoops Whey with full fat milk.

2200 meal 5 -
stirfry in olive oil
couple of chicken fillets
pepper
onion
mushrooms
chili

00.00 Bed after watching rocky 4 :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote]thosebananas wrote:

i like the sound of the EDT stuff. still unsure what im going to doā€¦ im conteplating a V-Diet starting next week or i might go uber low carb. i dunno. still want to retain all my muscle mas and get stronger.

cheers for stopping by![/quote]

thosebananas
6 months ago I looked just like you do now, I hit the keto diet hard and have dropped, as of today 60lbs. Keep your carbs under 30gs a day (that does not include green leafy veggies), balance your total calories of protein and fats to 50/50 and hit the weights hard.

Remember 1g fat is 9 calories, 1g of protein is 4 so ideally you want the calories from each to be close to equal.

Good luck.

EDT is a true ass kicker if done with proper intensity. look under authours tab coach Charles Staley and read complex edt I think it would complement the Velocity Diet very well.stay strong and motivated
Mike

using the fitday calculator thing

su[pposidly if i eat what i plan to i will end the day on something like this:

grams   	cals  	%total

Total: 2775
Fat: 148 1335 49%
Sat: 29 262 10%
Poly 35 314 11%
Mono: 62 556 20%
Carbs: 103 303 11%
Fiber: 27 0 0%
Protein: 278 1112 40%
Alcohol: 0 0 0%

seems wrong to meā€¦ where did all those carbs come fromā€¦ and y havnt i got waay more protein??

maybe im using it wrong.