6 Week Double Band Update

Jan 8
I am going to be documenting my results for the next 6 weeks of doubled looped band training similar to the Joe Average system.

The first week of June '04 I benched a PR of 345 raw and with a pause. Within the prior couple of months I had hit PR’s in Squat (445) and Deadlift (435) all raw: light knee wraps in the squat and a belt in all lifts but no shirts, suits or any illegal form breaks. I had been around 205 with 19.0% bodyfat for a couple of years consistently before this, and although I had gotten stronger, my body comp and weight had stayed constant.

On July 2, I had a complete ACL tear and sprained several other ligaments, and had a small reparable meniscus tear. I had surgery on July 16.

I started working out as possible the next day, although walking around on crutches was pretty tough.

I had no weight bearing on the right leg for 6 weeks. It shrunk about 2 inches.

For 4 1/2 months I did what I could. Some heavy seated overhead lifts, pullups, and step-ups gradually increasing ROM and load-but nothing really heavy. Also did reverse hypers without weight.

At 4 1/2 months I had enough leg flexibility and stability to bench and deadlift.

I was 198.2 with 18.2% bodyfat. After 2 weeks I added doubled bands to my workout and used them for the last 4 weeks. I also did HIIT but for no more than 15 minutes at a time.

After 6 weeks I am basically back to where I was post surgery except better in body comp. and haven’t squatted heavy yet.

I benched 345 with a pause, and deadlifted 405 easy and missed 435 at the knees. Now I am 208.6 with 16.3% bodyfat…

Post injury
Weight 205
% BF 19.0
Bench max: 345
Squat max: 445
Dead max: 435

Now
Weight 208.6
% BF 16.3
Bench: 345
Squat: ?
Dead: 405+

I am 5-8 and will turn 34 in March.

I will be using heavy doubled band training and plan on using short HIIT workouts with an airdyne cycle, or possibly running.

I bought a set of Iron Woody’s bands. I had a homemade set that worked well, but put an upper limit on what I could do. I don’t plan on using any supplements during this 6 week period.

Jan 29
3 Week Update

I am now three weeks into the double band training routine. I wanted to check my progress, but not to use the regular lifts for a test. I did the following today all in a 1 hour workout:

1. Floor press: 325
  2. 14 1/2 inch box squat: 425
  3. Standard rack pull from just above the knees: 515 (no straps)

A belt and LIGHT knee wraps only

Now when I hit the 345 paused raw bench 3 weeks ago, I was coming off a PR 305 floor press.

I don’t get a big boost when I take the box away from my squat, but I would probably take 425 and then 435 and then try 445 if I had to max right now. Keep in mind that I had not squatted for 4 1/2 months after surgery, an in the two weeks before starting this cycle, had only gotten up to 185 to parallel due to my knee. My all time best squat with tight knee wraps is 445 and I think my best 14 1/2 box squat was 425.

My best ever rack pull from this level is 500 (with straps) done a week before my PR deadlift of 435. I did the 515 today without straps.

I am 5-8 and a weighed in today at 215.0 with 16.7% body fat
8 weeks ago I was 198.2 with 18.2% body fat.

I don’t want to get into my routine until I finish the 6 weeks, but keep in mind that I am not following the precise protocal of the Joeaverage system. I?m just using heavy doubled bands. I’ll outline in detail later.

I also wanted to mention that I used to have a big problem with grip strength in the deadlift. Since using the bands, this problem is history, and I’m not talking about using bands for pulls. Just holding a bench bar with all that tension has greatly strengthened my grip.