6 Unwritten Rules of the Gym

Were you really confused about who you were having exchanges with? That would explain a lot of things. Don’t take this the wrong way but have you ever been diagnosed with any mental condition?

1 Like

That’s funny stuff right there–how could anyone not “take it the wrong way?” That’s like asking a stranger? “You off your meds?” Which I’ve done before and the reactions range from laughter to totally pissing people off…

I would not have asked that if he had not already freely claimed to have done a lot of things that one would not reveal to others. Go read his thread.

I might be reviving a dead(?) thread but I had to point this out…

Going by this logic, for the most part you’re probably deadlifting somewhere near 225 since you “focus on high volume”. I don’t deadlift much but I’ve trained with guys who pull in the 400/500s and hell, changing plates were one hell of a mega bitch. That and you know… You pull 275 for 3, you automatically don’t get a say when it comes to loading/unloading plates.

PS: I’m assuming @dt79 deadlifts a reasonable amount or at least is capable of… Though, if I’m being honest, in my mind you pull in the mid 500s?

2 Likes

Yep.

He probably thought I was taking a cheap shot at him. I wasn’t. I was stating a fact. It’s was not hard to guess your numbers from the statement “90s to load/unload plates”.

The laziest way I have found is to start a deadlift from low pins and walk backward until 4 plates.

At 4 plates I do it from the ground

When I reach 5 plates roll a 2.5lbs under to add the last 45 on each side.

After 5 plates I only add 25’s instead of 45’s. Think you can fit 5 plates or so at this point, enough for whatever you want up to low 700 maybe.

Damn I am bored at work

It pisses me off for some clown to try to “reserve” the dip bars by placing a few paper towels on a handle, then act all pissy because I moved them and got to dipping while he was doing wtf ever till he came back, apparently irritated that I was using HIS dip bars. .
Dude did no more than give me a look while grabbing his paper towels, and it’s a good thing lol

1 Like

I never recognize the authority of towels. Possession is 9/10ths of the law. Always a great opportunity to ask to work in.

Agree on the 9/10 rule. But you’re saying HE should’ve asked to work in or I should’ve? Cause he wasn’t in sight when I started…

When they come back and say “Hey, I was using that” I go “Oh, great, cool if I work in?”

Not saying what you should do 1 way or the other; just what I do.

This is the perfect opportunity to start shadow boxing.

3 Likes

LMAO @twojarslave
Yeh, that’d work for keeping intensity, sort of an HIIT thing :wink:

Thx for the clarification :slight_smile: I like @twojarslave 's idea best!

Tbh I never would have bothered another gym member a few months ago. After seeing so many of u suggest just try to work in with someone I gave it a try. Both times they agreed and we chatted for couple minutes then got to work. It was actually enjoyable and it’s nice to get to know folks u see 4 days out of every week

1 Like

Awesome :).

I lifted heavy with a coworker for a few years but that was the only time I actually spoke more than “hey” to anyone in a public gym (base gyms are different). It was nice that we could push each other…
As of yet, I’ve not worked in with anyone where I go, nor has anyone asked me. I’d be fine with it either way, and yes it’d be nice to speak with people u see frequently.

Good job taking the initiative there

I don’t like clowns who sit on the machines doing nothing but staring at their stupid phones!

3 Likes

Same.

I don’t like clowns who stare at their phones in any group of people - they need to save it for another time.

That said, I use my iPhone to track workouts, but it has to be obvious cause the phone only comes out between sets.

I’ve seen guys sit on a bench obviously doing something online for several minutes at a time, or having a phone conversation that’s much more than saying, “I’m working out, I’ll call you back.” And dammit we all have caller ID, so unless it’s someone who may actually need us, send it to voicemail!

1 Like