6 Months Out From Next PL Meet

Long time listener first time logger…

I lift alone (the only one who will hang out with me is my dear ole grandad), so starting a log to a: keep me focused and b: get input from others (if anyone reads it)

44 years old; will be 45 when this meet rolls around. I’ve done two push/pull meets in the past; this time I’m going full power. My last meet (this past January), I benched 400 and pulled 500.

Been doing 5/3/1 for over a year, so I’ll stick with that. This is a deload week; here’s what I’ve done thus far:

Monday:
Bench
45 x 10 (2 sets)
135 x 10
165 x 5
205 x 5
245 x 5

Tuesday:
Kettlebell getups 30 x 5 (12 sets)
Squat
45 x 5 (2 sets)
135 x 5
160 x 5
195 x 5
235 x 5

Wednesday:
Kettlebell getups 30 x 5 (12 sets)

I ain’t proud; if you see something stupid, feel free to chime in (i may keep doing it, but chime in anyway)

First of all welcome to the Old Folks Home.

Secondly what Fed/Class do you lift in?

You’re deep in SPF territory.

[quote]JoeGood wrote:

You’re deep in SPF territory.[/quote]

Oh, deep’s not descriptive enough. The Tennessee State meet has been 2 miles from my house for the past few years; that’s the main reason I finally entered a meet.

[quote]linnrose wrote:

[quote]JoeGood wrote:

You’re deep in SPF territory.[/quote]

Oh, deep’s not descriptive enough. The Tennessee State meet has been 2 miles from my house for the past few years; that’s the main reason I finally entered a meet.[/quote]

I also lift in SPF though not at your level. Vicki over in the PW forum is a big time SPF lifter.

Welcome, I’m originally from Tennessee so glad to have you here with the perfectly aged group.

welcome, look forwarding to watching your prep

Welcome, look forward to following your workouts.

What weight class do you compete in? and are you going to be doing the modified 5/3/1 with the singles thrown in?

Welcome aboard.

Welcome to the Geritol group, Linnrose.

You’re 44 and your grandfather lifts with you??? Wow, you come from tough stock! No wonder you’ve got good numbers!

[quote]FarmerBrett wrote:
What weight class do you compete in? and are you going to be doing the modified 5/3/1 with the singles thrown in?

Welcome aboard.[/quote]

Last meet I competed in the 275 class; I’m trying to come down a little. And yup, doing the powerlifting 5/3/1 Wendler recently released

[quote]cavalier wrote:
Welcome to the Geritol group, Linnrose.

You’re 44 and your grandfather lifts with you??? Wow, you come from tough stock! No wonder you’ve got good numbers![/quote]

Sorry, grandad doesn’t lift with me. After I said ‘I lift alone’, George Thorogood’s ‘I Drink Alone’ popped in my head, and you get what we have here.

I have an odd sense of humor.

Thanks everybody for the welcomes; I hope I don’t tarnish the group’s good name.

What good name?

And don’t worry about confusing me, I tend to get pretty literal sometimes. It comes from having taught in the past. And I give your post a B+.

welcome to the asylum!

you are definitely rockin’ some good numbers there

Welcome

Still deloading:

z-presses:
45 x 10 (2)
65 x 5
85 x 5
105 x 5

Turkish get-ups:
30 x 5 (2)

And please tell me 2 hours of mowing in this ridiculous heat counts as sled pushing…

Welcome.
Ok where in TN?
Which meet are you planning on doing?

[quote]lil power wrote:
Welcome.
Ok where in TN?
Which meet are you planning on doing?[/quote]

I’m in Knoxville; aiming for the Tennessee State meet in January

Last day of deload:

Deadlifts:
135 x 5 (2 sets)
205 x 5
255 x 5
305 x 5

Usually rest on Sunday, but my youngest is having knee surgery Monday, so I’m going get heavy a day early.

First real log entry.

Bench day today. On my last couple of 531’s, I’ve done really bad on the last bench sets, so I dropped the weight down; make sure my form is right. Also threw in some heavy singles:

135 x 5 (2 sets)
155 x 5
185 x 5
225 x 4 (meant to stop @ 3)
260 x 3
300 x 3
335 x 3
355 x 1
375 x 1
395 x 0

375 went down and up so well, I thought surely I could grind out 395. Wouldn’t budge; couldn’t even un-rack.

Oh, almost forgot, I changed my grip. I could never go suicide grip because I don’t want to be that guy in a meet who almost decapitates himself, but when Kroc mentioned the thumb-straight-out-along-the-bar grip in his last article, I thought I’d give it a try; me gusta.

From the I-don’t-remember-hurting-that-muscle department, I was going to superset pull-ups with the bench, but I tweaked my right bicep somehow, and could only get 1 set of 4.

Rest of workout: incline dumbbells superset w/ trap bar shrugs:

Inclines:
80 x 10 (5 sets)*

Shrugs:
225 x 10 (5 sets)

*on the 4th set of inclines, my left pec started crying like a little girl, and I listened and only got 5 reps.