6 Months On, 6 Off?

Also it would help not to get off into comparisons not really related to the original question and the situation most likely being asked about.

The question was, six months on and six months off.

Not, six months on and two months off.

There is no indication that the context was competing in a contest once a year. If that had been the case, then why wasn’t the answer to my post, “It doesn’t matter to me how I look most of the year, it matters to me how I look at the end of the 6 months, because I compete once a year.”

I’ve always said that when there is an issue of a particular day being important, then strategies change. I don’t believe it’s necessary to go 6 months straight up to a contest, but those that I’ve worked with that were competing have typically chosen things such as 12 weeks straight, or 8 weeks on / 2 off / 8 weeks on, which had a higher percentage of time “on” pre-contest compared to the rest of the year and often a longer run.

But that wasn’t the context of the question so far as I could tell, and doesn’t change the questions that I asked, that the fellow was unable to answer, other than to call those who answered him assholes or something like that (his posts aren’t visible now so I can’t check, and really don’t care about the specific anyway.)

For those who are concerned with being their best most of the time, and/or making the most progress over time for the same amount of steroids used and same amount of time “on,” lengthy cycle plans are not the way to accomplish that, and most certainly not plans such as 6 months on, 6 months off.

[quote]Gregus wrote:
Have to go against the grain here.[/quote]

No problem, something i like to do myself…[quote]

Experiment and see what works for you. Some people don’t show gains till week 6 or so of their cycles.[/quote]

This is really mostly dependant on the drug used… for someone to not show a result until the 6th week on an oral, or a suspension based cycle is unlikely.[quote]

What’s the point of quitting 2 weeks later? Some people show gains very quickly and the effectiveness of their AS wears off quickly unless they stop the cycle or completely change compounds. [/quote]

As above, this is more dependant on the compounds used than by who is using them… granted there are differing levels of effectiveness, but not to quite the extent you seem to be suggesting IME[quote]

Professional BB are on all the time and their gains don’t stop they keep growing.[/quote]

This isn’t really likely… they have superior genetics granted, and they likely have excellent responses to high androgen levels, but results will slow over time - both of increasing physical advancement, and also continued drug use.
If what you were suggesting were the case, then i doubt that 260lbs at contest weight would be the limit (let alone that being the limit using all PED including GH, peptides, Slin etc… and NOT just the use of AAS as your argument relies on.[quote]

I don;t want to be controversial but recovery is also very individual. I know guys who don’t even get shut down on 2-300 mg of test per week.[/quote]

Do you have anything you can link us to that proves this? That there have been studies done where a percentage have not been suppressed in a particular time-frame of using those doses? I have seen plenty of abstracts and articles proving that as little as 100mg of Testosterone shuts down the HPTA fully in 3 weeks or so - see any TRT patient - but never one that suggests 300mg/wk can be used with zero suppression… or have they just not tested the right people??[quote]

One even fathered a son after being on for 6 months straight and 2 months off. So his recovery was quick and complete.[/quote]

All this proves is that he was not sterile and little else… all it takes is one sperm…
Was he using Clomid? Was he using HCG? Was he using HMG? Maybe he was particularly fast at recovery… but does this mean he was never inhibited?
ALSO in the grand scheme of AAS use and life, IME 6 months isn’t long enough to cause long term issues with sterility in healthy males. Especially with the correct use of the drugs i mentioned…[quote]

Recovery is very individual. Some do better with short heavy cycles and others whose bodies may respond more slowly CAN run longer cycles but should be careful to choose their compounds carefully as some may shut you down harder then others. Again an individual thing.

IMO Deca, tren and anadrol means a long recovery for alot of people but for alot it’s not. [/quote]
This is due to ones ‘sensitivity’ to female sex hormones (Prolactin, Oestrogen and Progesterone), with some being sensitive to the actions of one or all of them and some being further suppressed by some or all.
It is fair to say that rises in any of these hormones beyond homeostasis will result in adverse side effects… with the severity varying between user (receptor sensitivity being the main culprit i’d assume).[quote]

So im not one to paint with broad strokes. See what works for you and learn how your body works and what it likes.[/quote]

Me either, and it’s true… one need sot assess each case individually - as WHB mentioned somewhere else recently.

Brook

[quote] Brook wrote:
Gregus wrote:
Have to go against the grain here.

No problem, something i like to do myself…

Experiment and see what works for you. Some people don’t show gains till week 6 or so of their cycles.

This is really mostly dependant on the drug used… for someone to not show a result until the 6th week on an oral, or a suspension based cycle is unlikely.

What’s the point of quitting 2 weeks later? Some people show gains very quickly and the effectiveness of their AS wears off quickly unless they stop the cycle or completely change compounds.

As above, this is more dependant on the compounds used than by who is using them… granted there are differing levels of effectiveness, but not to quite the extent you seem to be suggesting IME

Professional BB are on all the time and their gains don’t stop they keep growing.

This isn’t really likely… they have superior genetics granted, and they likely have excellent responses to high androgen levels, but results will slow over time - both of increasing physical advancement, and also continued drug use.
If what you were suggesting were the case, then i doubt that 260lbs at contest weight would be the limit (let alone that being the limit using all PED including GH, peptides, Slin etc… and NOT just the use of AAS as your argument relies on.

I don;t want to be controversial but recovery is also very individual. I know guys who don’t even get shut down on 2-300 mg of test per week.

Do you have anything you can link us to that proves this? That there have been studies done where a percentage have not been suppressed in a particular time-frame of using those doses? I have seen plenty of abstracts and articles proving that as little as 100mg of Testosterone shuts down the HPTA fully in 3 weeks or so - see any TRT patient - but never one that suggests 300mg/wk can be used with zero suppression… or have they just not tested the right people??

One even fathered a son after being on for 6 months straight and 2 months off. So his recovery was quick and complete.

All this proves is that he was not sterile and little else… all it takes is one sperm…
Was he using Clomid? Was he using HCG? Was he using HMG? Maybe he was particularly fast at recovery… but does this mean he was never inhibited?
ALSO in the grand scheme of AAS use and life, IME 6 months isn’t long enough to cause long term issues with sterility in healthy males. Especially with the correct use of the drugs i mentioned…

Recovery is very individual. Some do better with short heavy cycles and others whose bodies may respond more slowly CAN run longer cycles but should be careful to choose their compounds carefully as some may shut you down harder then others. Again an individual thing.

IMO Deca, tren and anadrol means a long recovery for alot of people but for alot it’s not.
This is due to ones ‘sensitivity’ to female sex hormones (Prolactin, Oestrogen and Progesterone), with some being sensitive to the actions of one or all of them and some being further suppressed by some or all.
It is fair to say that rises in any of these hormones beyond homeostasis will result in adverse side effects… with the severity varying between user (receptor sensitivity being the main culprit i’d assume).

So im not one to paint with broad strokes. See what works for you and learn how your body works and what it likes.

Me either, and it’s true… one need sot assess each case individually - as WHB mentioned somewhere else recently.

Brook[/quote]

We agree on pretty much everything here. When using a fast acting suspension type AS or orals you do get the effects very quickly. My example was more along the lines if someone chose to cycle slower acting compounds like say Primobolan and some sustanon at lower total dosages. Say 500mg sust and 200 mg primo weekly.

Starting a cycle with orals is different, i agree. But i was merely trying to illustrate that running for more then 8 weeks is entirely possible and can be very efficient depending on the AS of choice. Some AS lend themselves to shorter durations and others do better on longer durations.

The individual in question was not on any PCT when fathering his son. Just tapered down low and went cold turkey. His HPTA restarted with a vengeance once his system was completely clean.

Which is also another interesting point id like to post. I am of the firm belief that PCT is a waste of time and money. I have always observed better results with tapering down to a very low dosage, say 200mg per week test for a few weeks then completely off. I’ve read endo’s talking about that causing the HPTA to kickstart very quickly.

One trick Endocrinologists sometimes use to get someones test up higher is to give them a shot of low dose test. Once it clears it causes the hpta to turn up production. The analogy of a starting fluid for a car was used.

One person i knew had their test tested and it was about 700nl. After a test cycle, 4 months later it was close to 800nl. So the test injections indeed did condition his test to rebound and stay higher. It was interesting to see that in action.

On a side note, when it comes to longer cycles, im not a fan any progesterone based cycles. Even for a short cycle. Those compounds i’ve seen shut people down for a loooong time and the hpta did not want to rebound for quite some time, months.

I feel that AS that are the closest to the human body (test) are some of the easier to recover from.

[quote]Bill Roberts wrote:
Why don’t you do 6 years on and 6 years off, or perhaps 30 years on and 30 years off?[/quote]

Hilarious.

I would rather go for 6-8 weeks blast and 2 weeks cruze…

example:

1-6 500 test e, 500 deca, 500 eq, 4-7 t-bol.

cruze: 7, 200mg eod test p, 10mg nolva ed
8, 150mg eod test p, 10mg nolva, 25mg clomid
9, 100-50mg eod test p, 10 nolva, 25 clomid.

then blast again, and you can up your doses 10-20% every blast if your weight gain stoppet last blast…

do this 2-3 times then pct…, run 250iu hcg 2*week the whole cycle… should have aromasin, pramipexole…

I am a 15 year veteran to steroids use coming from Holland Europe. This is my fist post on tmuscle. Just wanted to put in my two cents on the topic of long cycles. Having used allmost any anabolic steroid in short and long cycles I can say that longer cycles for me work best. The only steroid that I feel should be used for this is testosterone.

As far as dosage is concerned, I have gone as high as 2,5 grams per week many years ago. In that respect I now believe lower dosages suffice. 500mg TE every ten days is what I have been doing for more then a year do right now. This long intake interval (ten days) makes sure there is no build up of steroids in the body due to the avarage active life of TE of about 8 days. It is not difficult to gain a lot of muscle in a short time when you start using. But most of that gain is water weight initially.

There is not a lot of muscle build up in just a couple of weeks no matter how high the dosage. When you come of the drugs you have te deal with weightloss, strengthloss and an overall loss in performance. Retaining all gains post cycle has been impossible for me. Of course to some extent strenght and mass stays, for me leveling out at around 260 lbs.

I have been on that weight for years when not using in between competitions. But bringing you that last 10-20% you need to be on gear. It is just not possible for the body to retain what is built with supra physiological hormone levels with ‘normal’ endogenous levels. If it were, you would need the gear in the fist place.

The choice then becomes wether or not you want to setle on being below optimal during most weeks of the year. This becomes a factor when you are competing, which is the case for me. Six months off would be a waste of time when looking at improving performance. Doing shorter cycles with the same on and off time for me would mean going up and down and up and down with no steady improvement and no real abbility to plan longer training cycles.

It just doesn’t work. So I favor longer cycles for more advanced athletes. 500mg TE every ten days, cycling D-bol every now and then for three weeks at the most just before competing. I see a steady increase in strength and size when I put my efforts into training and diet. Off course HPTA shutdown will be severe. But looking at several case studies in medical studies I am confident with proper medication this will be restored.

If not, permanent HRT would be necessary, which is a choice for many people now, eventhough they never lifted weights or used steriods in the fist place. In the end it is a matter of choice. Even putting all posted arguments aside, how big do you want to be, which risk are you willing to take? These questions are relevant when deciding to start using any way.

In my book using an moderate amount of a naturally occuring hormone for a prolonged period of time is safer then going up and down in higer dosages of different steroids, as well as using all the other ancillary drugs. Like I said just putting in my two cents. For arguments sake. I am in no way trying to bring down anybody or any view on the topic off steroid use.

I apologize for any grammatical errors in my post, but I am confidant my english is better then your Dutch. Sterker nog ik weet het wel zeker!

Your English is significantly better than my Dutch - or any other language for that matter.

The main point in your very informative post is this IMO:

“…Doing shorter cycles with the same on and off time for me would mean going up and down and up and down with no steady improvement and no real abbility to plan longer training cycles. It just doesn’t work. So I favor longer cycles for more advanced athletes…

This IS true to a large extent of course… but what needs to be differentiated here is the difference between recreational users - of which we have a lot here - and more serious users with very specific goals.

Many of the kids who post here are recreational users… looking for a good health and fitness type body (not ‘Flex’ or ‘Muscle and Fitness’ but more ‘Mens Health’), and steroids surely assist in such goals.

I personally stay on, and blast and cruise with varying cycle lengths. Many of the more advanced posters here have at least done some long term steroid use in their life, even if that is not currently the case.

The thing is, those very posters are aware of the points i have outlined and as such don’t often mention their habits of long and highly suppressive steroid use as it is most certainly not the healthiest way to use AAS (considering cholesterol, BP, Fertility, related hormone deficiencies such as DHEA, FSH, and of course psychological effects, etc.) and also most of those asking the questions here are by no means perfect candidates for such steroid use - let alone that percentage of posters who will blindly follow any post an advanced poster makes just out of ignorance (therefore the few recommendations to use insulin, even though many of the more advanced posters here have and do use the hormone in supraphysiological doses).

So you are correct in saying that for a competitive athlete - especially in the iron sports, and for those who want to be freakishly big - that long term use, with more time on than off is the way to go.
But if you are trying to suggest that this method should be recommended as standard to the type of poster who often comes a-knocking here… then you would be very mistaken.

Each question here is tackled individually and i and many other respected posters assess each problem or issue separately - specific to the persons goals and history. It would be immoral to do anything else.

I agree however that when people boast of 10lb increases on the scale from 2 weeks of use (of anything) that it is going to be a vast majority of water. I also agree that with or without AAS it takes a long time to build ‘real’ muscle, and so your argument of that point is (IMO) solid. The trouble is, how specific is this view to this site and those who need the information?
While it is effective, it is not the safest method… it is (IMO) better for a young lad who wants moderate gains and moderate results to run 3x6 week cycles with 10 weeks off in-between, than to run one 18 week cycle. The gains would be comparable but the recovery would be vastly increased with the separate cycles.
IF however that same person chose to run a 38 week cycle (6+10+6+10+6) of a lower dose (but higher amount of androgens in total), then they would achieve more in the long term.

So there are actual flaws in your argument. Namely, if the dose and amount of time on is the same in both cases, then both methods should yield similar results.
If the dose is lower but the time on is significantly longer, meaning more total drug is used, then of course results will be better.

You mentioned that you avoid any build up of the example drug, Testosterone Enanthate -

“(500mg TE every ten days)…This long intake interval (ten days) makes sure there is no build up of steroids in the body due to the avarage active life of TE of about 8 days…”

You know that if you wanted a steady 350mg a week (500mg/10 days) of say - Enanthate, you could inject ~100mg EOD with approx. 300mg on the first day. This would not only give you around 350mg/wk IMMEDIATELY, it would also allow levels to be more stable avoiding high levels of aromatisation and DHT conversion from the higher 500mg every 10 day dose, and you would then avoid a higher incidence of water retention, acne, aggression and many of the other side effects associated with high dose androgen use.
Sure the levels would build, but only to a peak of 350mg, and this would be immediate with the higher dose on the first day. With your method you inject a larger dose which is then dropped, dropped and dropped to virtually nothing (the active life of enanthate is not 8 days FWIW) and then you boost back up with another large dose.
This sends hormone levels crazy and will lead to physical and emotional side effects aplenty.

Your methods are effective for sure, and many a great athlete has been built on the same methods. But over the past 15 years techniques have changed as the common user has begun to understand more about the pharmacokinetics and dynamics of the esters attached to the drugs, (not to mention alternative PED and ancillary drug use) meaning that there are simply more effective or more accurately safer ways of using the same drugs to avoid some of the common side effects.

E10D WILL work, of course, but so will EOD although the latter will result in a more stable hormone level avoiding large peaks and troughs in levels and thus avoiding higher levels of aromatase and 5-AR.

As for the belief that long term using is best (ie. more weeks on than off in a set period), i obviously agree - but only recommended for those who are truly wanting or needing to go the extra mile.
Excellent results are definitely possible for those who cycle 6-12 weekers.

Brook

Thanks for your comments. Very interesting. For sure we agree on the fact that a long protocol is not for everyone, but this forum would be much less useless if everybody is giving advice to the ‘avarege newbie’ instead of sharing personal experience. And one would question on which to base that advice if not on experience?

Reed any website or buy any book about anabolic steroids and you will read the same thing over and over. I would want to read about personal experience with steroids to find something interesting. But let me make this clear, my post is no advice. I’m not qualified to give advice, but then again who is? Therefore I don’t think I share your view on the morality of this forum. With respect.

On your point of optimal cycle length there are different views. If you look at scientific research on the effects of testosterone you will see 12 weeks most of the time. European literature on the use of steroids advocates longer cycles as well, up to 24 weeks. There is no research comparing longer and shorters cycles and dosage protocols. But there is a case for both options.

The point I am trying to make is that staying on longer will give you better results. You can use a lower weekly dosage and inject less frequently which means less cost and less hastle. Taking other drugs into account like GH, IGF, Insuline and whatnot we can stop the discussion on health risks of long term TE cycling.

Heart growth, organ growth, high bloodpressure, insuline resistance etc are all serious risks in using these drugs. Cost to effect ratio long term TE stands alone in my view.

I like your view on timing and dosing. I used to do a lot of planning myself in that respect, taking into account the different esters and different steroids half lives, but I found no real additional effect. Also it remains to be seen whether or not stable blood levels yield better result than peaking levels at times. This was an argument in taking orals spread throughout the day or taking it in all at once.

Much like the way the body produces hormones in spurts, the argument was also made for infrequent high dosage blitz protocols. Did that as well. But they can’t compare to longer cycles, even at much lower dosages. The longer injection intervals means variying levels though and it would be a good idea to try and see if there is a difference in effect in using shorter intervals like you suggested but the same overall dosage.

I do notice differences in various factors throughout the week, some which could be related to lower hormone levels.

I don’t want to give advice, just want to share, learn, maybe debate on a favorite topic of mine. So thanks again.

I like you - thanks for sharing :wink: