6 Month, 50lb Improvement

Nvm looked at the numbers again i’m retarded with this editing. so

40lbs lower would be added in the same time frame as i’ve added 90lbs with lp to my 1 rep max on my squat, ill have to see the difference between my overhead press and deadlift now.

4 months ago i was working with 90% of my max about 3x5 on squats. now i’m skipping the amrap since i progress without it on squats so i could do about 7 reps with the weight, that makes my 1 rep max over 90lbs more in 4 months.

5/3/1 i’d be adding 10lbs a month to my 1 rep max, so that’s 40lbs

50+lbs has been added to my deadlift since then, it feels very strong now so in the upcoming weeks ill learn what my true max is. i stop early on my 1x5 amraps, but so far calculated is 50lbs higher minimum, more than 5/3/1 would give me.

thats from then till now, but i’m still making similar gains as compared to before with lower, rows, and ohp, just not bench.

Bench 1 rep max has increased 30lbs since then. 10lbs higher than 5/3/1

overhead press 1 rep max 30lbs higher since then, 10lbs more than 5/3/1

Bench has randomly increased mostly in the past month or two also, months 1 and 2 had less gains than the past 2 months. So i’m only getting better at it, i feel if i just add more volume in the week that i might fix my issue totally.

I understand that’s gains from when i was weaker till now, but i’m looking at my numbers and they’re increasing more as time goes on, so it came from improved nutrition, more experience, and slight adjustments that i continually make to try and optimize things.

Why would you disagree and say my bench isn’t the only thing that sucks? 90lbs squat 1 rep max increase, 50lbs minimum to deadlift from the numbers i’ve tried so far, 30lbs to overhead press and bench, like 100lbs to my row in 4 months i don’t really think is that bad, that’s while recomping which i didn’t realize i’ve been doing.

if i would have said i gained 20lbs bench, 20lbs ohp, 40lbs squat, 40lbs deadlift you’d say it’s good just because its 5/3/1? that’s illogical. I made 70% more gains than 5/3/1, and they’ve happened in the more recent months opposed to the past ones. If i switch to 5/3/1 i’ll limit my self at this point in time.

you guys were right about not eating enough, i’ll have to eat 3300 calories now that’s crazy.

I, um…nah, never mind.

Why 155 pound noobs post advice threads, then continually argue with the bigger, stronger, experienced guys who give them advice is beyond me.

4 Likes

Does arguing somehow invalidate an argument? you’re right it’s beyond you if you make that argument right there. an argument invalidates an argument… wtf? Am I supposed to just mindlessly follow everything? I proved with numbers and the fact that these improvements are more recent that 5/3/1 will not benefit me yet.

That’s the dumbest shit I’ve ever heard. If I can prove why something is less optimal then why would I follow it? I’m the one who has every single lift recorded, they’re giving suggestions that are appreciated, but I explain why it’s less optimal and prove it. There’s no issue with me and them.

Do you think me increasing my calories by 300 is somehow not taking advice? my weight records have proved that i haven’t been eating enough recently, which i didn’t notice until they said i should eat more. I looked at reality, and they’re right.

kali muscle is bigger and stronger than me, that somehow makes every ounce of advice from him sound and valid, and anyone who says hes wrong is moronic?

Do you really think this conversation is going to go well for you?

No, you should not “mindlessly” follow everything. Asking questions is good.

No, you didn’t.

Wanna bet?

Again, you haven’t proven this anywhere. You’ve decided in your classic noob-knows-everything-they-read-from-an-article perspective that you read somewhere that LP is better for newbies because 5/3/1 doesn’t progress quickly enough, which is bunk for several reasons.

I have every single lift recorded too. Maybe you can jump over to my log and see how progress is made.

I never said anything like that.

Newbies often have trouble with the concept of shades of grey. They think in absolutes. It would behoove you to stop thinking in absolutes.

5 Likes

Did you read then? 40lbs lower 20 upper for 5/3/1

for 4 months

In the past 2 months i’ve made more gains than the last two months.

I said i put on at least 50lbs to my deadlift 1rm, probably higher though

put on 90lbs to squat

30 with presses

and 100lbs to my row.

do i have to rewrite the whole post verbatim? since i also said that i made 70% more gains than i would have on 5/3/1, which is not an arbitrary number. its the difference between the 120 total i would have put on and the 200 that i did.

This is all while recomping, so like i said before the main “issue” with my bench seems to be my total calories, i need to gain more weight. I probably hindered my self by 30% (not arbitrary) by eating less than what i have.

This indicates a basic misunderstanding of how 5/3/1 works, which basically makes the rest of your post moot.

Please indicate why it is that you believe that one would add exactly 40 pounds to a lower-body lift with 5/3/1 over 4 months and no more.

2 Likes

I don’t mind being wrong, i have to pick someone up. when i get back ill find the pdf and read again. if i’m wrong on the progression then i’ll be happy to be wrong since i didn’t disrespect anyone when explaining my logic. i only disrespected the person who told me that i’m mindlessly doing it, i’m just using the numbers im aware of.

But it’s 10lbs a month upper and 5 lower i thought? Ill see when i get home.

4 week cycle you add 10lbs at the end, so once a month. 4 months 40lbs.

Just to be clear: you are correct that Jim’s original article mentions adding 5 pounds per month to the upper-body lifts and 10 pounds per month to the lower-body lifts that you use to set your percentages for the next cycle.

Where your understanding breaks down is that, with the 5+ / 3+ / 1+ sets built into the 5/3/1 programming, you are not confined to making only a certain amount of “gains” within any given cycle. You should increase the weight used by 5/10 pounds per month, but you can certainly perform more reps (that’s kind of the whole point of the “+” sets). Jim has discussed this extensively in his forums, and I’ll not profess to speak for the author of the program when he literally has his own forum in which you can ask him this question.

Alternatively, you can keep doing exactly what you’re doing: start threads complaining about your failure to progress at a satisfactory rate while arguing with everyone who tries to give you advice that you are making better progress than the programs they’re suggesting would allow, and this cycle can continue as long as you like.

1 Like

that’s not how 5/3/1 works. You have no idea what you’re talking about. 5/3/1 does not, in any way, limit how strong you can get in any given period of time. You’re working under a false assumption. You could put 200 lbs on your squat in a month using 5/3/1. You could also put on 5 lbs.

What you’re confusing is the concept of a TRAINING MAX versus a TESTED MAX. 5/3/1 regulates what weights you train with, not how strong you actually get. It’s a progression model.

In all seriousness, apply some goddamn common sense. In WHAT WORLD would a training program, PARTICULARLY one that people absolutely love, limit how strong you can actually get. Everyone wants to get as strong as they can, as fast as they can. The program is designed to do exactly that.

I don’t think you turn your brain on often enough to be successful at… things.

5 Likes

I only failed to progress at a satisfactory rate on one lift. According to my research 3x5 just seems inferior when standing alone, so I gave my ideas on it. I think mesocycles focusing on hypertrophy for a few weeks and then on intensity are optimal for a beginner, or even simply more hypertrophy.

that is why I believe 5/3/1 is not good for a beginner besides the slower progression, it seems better at building strength in someone who already has a decent amount of muscle.

If my issue is I don’t like the constant intensity of 3x5, how will I be satisfied with 5/3/1?

I just was looking for someone with more knowledge about programming than me to let me know if they could figure out a way to maintain the current 2 squats a week and 1 deadlift, and their own separate days, 3 days a week full body while somehow incorporating undulating periodization without me having to hop onto an “intermediate” program. I’m not looking for dup. Looking for weekly while also incorporating linear periodization, it’s tough to equivocate workloads in different intensity ranges. I could probably write one my self, but I am busy with school work. So I ask for something specific since I don’t have the time. It doesn’t seem like a program that I have described exists, they seem to all be upper lower or 2-day full body intensity and volume day.

I like to focus on specific lifts on specific days, I don’t like to train overlapping muscle groups too hard like military press and bench on the same day, or squat and deadlift on the same day.

Those are the reasons I’m reluctant to switch from grey skull, i asked if my idea on doing the lighter of bench and ohp while im also focusing on intensity of the alternate lift (so heavy bench, light OHP) would work well.

I am not sure what to think about my progress because i constantly hear that i should be benching 225 after a year, squatting 315, and deadlifting 405.

that’s where 99% of my confusion stems from. Sure it can be tailored to people, but how much so? 200 on the low benching end after a year? 160 for me? it just seems so bullshit. I have no clue if i’m doing whats optimal for who i am with consideration of the recomposition. I feel that i push my self to the max every week, but i don’t believe that indicates anything, you can make better gains with less total workload in certain situations. you can make gains doing nothing, like on deloads. Recovery is important as stimulation. ying and yang you can’t have one without the other. There’s too much focus on going balls to the wall constantly and not having rest.

In your opinion.

Let’s delve into this more.

As a beginner yourself, I am sorry to tell you that you are not qualified to have a meritorious opinion on the subject.

Hold this thought, but let me quote Jim’s original article:

“I’ve received a lot of positive feedback from lifters who used 5/3/1 to overcome plateaus in strength and size development. And it’s not just from advanced guys. I received a thank-you from a guy who went from 135 for 1 rep on the bench to 135 for 17.”

…a little further down…

“As for the “build too slow” criticism, people tell me that they don’t want to take three months to build up their strength. Where are you going to be in a year? Fuck that, where are you going to be in five years, when you’re still benching 205 with your ass halfway off the bench?”

This is one of the head-slapping points that has everyone frustrated with you. One of the advantages 5/3/1 has over 3x5 programs is that it varies the intensity!!! How are you not getting this?!

“Someone with more knowledge about programming than you” is nearly everyone who posts regularly here. All of them gave you advice. And here you still are, arguing about why your ideas are better than 5/3/1.

See above. You were given plenty of “something specific” - you just didn’t like what you were given, so you asked someone else to write you something tailored specifically to your desires to incorporate a few specific components, at which point you might as well just be writing your own program.

LOL @ you don’t have the time. You have enough time to start a dozen threads asking for training advice and then argue with every reply you get, but you don’t have the time to try and write a training program. Okee dokeeee then.

Maybe you should also look into Dan John’s One Lift A Day program, then.

(Seriously, not joking, it might do you some good to train that way for three months)

This is yet another argument why you should listen to all of the people recommending 5/3/1, which varies the intensity and incorporates deload weeks.

Or, yet again, you can just keep bitching that 5/3/1 doesn’t increase the weight quickly enough and is going to waste all of your noob gains window.

1 Like

because one is linear periodization and one’s based off of a training max?? thats the world where you increase workload more often.

by your logic every beginner should run some intermediate program. just because strong people “love it”
I don’t think it’s wrong to run an intermediate as a noob, but that premise is fallacious.

So something that people love is something that means it’s optimal for noob gains? no.

woah greyskull is a training system loved by people… in what world is it going to limit chad wesley from getting stronger!!! he can only squat 1000lbs… lets do 80% of that 3x5 every week and add 2.5lbs to the bar… that’d work because people LOVE it.

This is some of the dumbest logic i’ve ever seen.

Even with failures i progress faster than 5/3/1 would allow. And yeah, 5/3/1 was calculated with those progression numbers in mind. You can’t just double it and expect the program to work. You’re not LPing in 4 weeks, you’re working based off a training max that was set in stone at the beginning. you’re not going to gain enough strength from that to fukin add 20+lbs to ur 1rm from it.

Doesn’t matter if there is amrap either

The only issue i have is my bench, that’s all i asked about. i’m lping perfectly fine on everything else.

hey man. I tried. I clearly know what I’m doing. Go ahead with your own bullshit. Enjoy the long road to mediocrity.

9 Likes

You might want to pause and consider that you’re arguing with a pair of guys that can deadlift 600 pounds.

Our knowledge is not derived from reading and hypotheticals and spreadsheets; we have actually traversed the path that you’re on and come out the better for it. From what I have observed in these forums, the people most likely to worry about the distinctions between “beginner” and “intermediate” programs are generally weak beginners who think you need to achieve a specific target number on a beginner program before you can advance to an intermediate program.

To the strong, there are programs that work and programs that don’t work (and many of us have agreed in many past threads that hard work and consistency matter a great deal more than the specifics of the program).

Stop thinking in absolutes, try to listen and learn.

6 Likes

at least you’ve gotten one thing right.

You realize it takes literally 1 minute to type a few paragraphs and i can multi task? I’ve written a essay and edited ideas on this on the side.

calculating shit and dealing with spreadsheets takes a while, equivocating workloads is something id have to figure out how to do.

I contemplate ideas more than i type on my essay that i’m doing. Do you think you just sit and type nonstop all day to finish a paper? 30 minutes of actual typing is nothing.

Seems like you have the body dysmorphia though, nice roids bro. can’t be happy with nature, ud rather commit suicide than to be in your own natural body. owndd

What’s the point in your bullshit insults when theyre rooted in insecurity?

It might be time for you to just cool it for awhile.

The last couple of posts are not a good look, champ.

1 Like

good looks on the internet. i don’t think you even believe that matters.

Math> pretentious ideintifications

You can calculate it all your self, or u can ask the man who developed the program. 5/3/1 is not optimal in my situation.

if things are so subjective then why be so adamant on me doing 5/3/1, juggfitness 2.0 would be much better for a beginner than 5/3/1, but still i don’t think it’s necessary. Jugg fitness allows for greater progression cycle to cycle.

Why identify so much with a program also? besides i’ve never rejected 5/3/1 as being a sound well-calculated program, i said it’s not optimal for my situation.

I don’t care what program i do, i don’t care what people say about programs, i care about the numbers involved and if they work for what goals i have set.

Side note but crazy you mention that program. I literally met a man in his 50’s yesterday who has run OLAD for over a decade. Dude is jacked as hell. I decided to try that concept yesterday and literally all I did was back squats for 45 minutes. The DOMS I feel today is something I haven’t felt in a LONG time. I think OLAD works because it cuts all the thinking, planning, and bull shit out. It forces you to just do the work.