6 Mental Strength Tips for Men to Train like Men

I’m mad as hell and I’m not going to take it
anymore! Before I begin on my rant I want to
mention that I’ve been training for over 15
years, I’m a certified personal trainer and
fitness coach. I’ve climbed rocks and mountains
and even survived an avalanche.

My rant comes from my personal experience and my
recent observations…are you ready? Here goes…

Come on guys…put the pink dumbbells and back away
from the salad bar. Guys, in case you haven’t
noticed, we are different from women. I know, I
can hear you from here…No kidding Sherlock!

We’ll then, let me ask…why are you training like
a woman? I see it everyday I go to the gym.
There they are…the dawn patrol of the gym…the
boot-campers! Now I want to make something
perfectly clear, I am all in favor and support
ANYONE who gets up early and goes to the gym or
other physically activity, but there comes a
point where a guy’s gotta do what a guys gotta
do?and that’s to lift! I don’t mean the combo
dumbbell bicep curl, triceps extension, shoulder
press. I mean compound movements and Olympic
lifts!

Think about it, men are working out with women,
eating like women and expecting to look like men.
Many men are so focused on losing weight they
forget that much of the weight they are losing is
muscle!

But it doesn’t matter, men still cut their
calories to such a dangerous level their
metabolism starts to shut down. Then they add on
cardio and if that doesn’t work, they reduce
their calories even more. The only thing this
accomplishes is reducing their muscle and
decreasing their testosterone. This fact is
discussed in detail in The Testosterone Advantage
Plan - Lose Weight, Gain Muscle, Boost Energy ,
check it out…you?ll be stunned!

OK, so by now you’re either still with me, or you
have fumed off somewhere, in which case what I’m
about to say won?t effect you.

Here are the 6 Mental Strength Tips for Men to
Train like Men:

1. Stop the cardio: It’s been proven that you
    can get the same cardio benefits from lifting
    weights. Just make sure you don?t read the entire
    sports page between each set.

2. Perform compound exercises. These involving
    multiple joint action like, bench-press, squats,
    dead-lifts and other Olympic lifts. Again, this
    is NOT one and done. Perform multiple sets with
    minimum rest between sets.

3. Become a swinger?no not like that…like
    kettlebells. By incorporating kettlebells into
    your routine you’ll not only improve your
    strength, but your cardio endurance as well

4. Eat, eat and eat. Guys, it’s time to put some
    meat on those bones, and the best way it through
    a proper planned diet and nutrition program. I
    happen to like Precision Nutrition. It’s used by
    many pro and college level sports teams.

5. Increase your fat intake. This does not mean
    going out and eating more Big Mac’s. This means
    adding more Omega-3 and other good fat.
    Increasing your good fat intake has been proven
    to lower your LDL and raise your HDL…both of
    these are good things.

6. Stretch. This may sound girly, but let me
    tell you guys, nothing will cause an injury
    quicker then inflexibility…believe me, I can
    attest to this from personal experience. If
    you’re too tight to stretch look for a good
    strength therapist, ART practitioner or message
    therapist.

Well I could go on, but I won?t. I’ve ranted
enough I feel like I need a cigarette, and no, I
don’t smoke. Oh yea, this brings up one more BIG
thing guys have gotta do to improve their
physical transformation?cut back on booze, or
better yet, cut it out while you?re in serious
training.

I won’t get on that soapbox here, but let me
tell, consuming alcohol will retard your body’s
ability to shed fat…check it our for yourself.

Well I hope I’ve got you pissed off…in a good
way, so that you’ll enter the gym tomorrow with a
new sense of purpose to train like a man!

To Your Inner Strength!
Gregg

Hello and welcome to the forum. You’re in luck, we kicked all the girly men onto the other forums. This is the home of the big three: eat big, lift big & shit big.

Feel free to rant, sometimes it will do you good.

What the hell is wrong with training like a woman???

I saw a quote elsewhere:

“Yeah - I train like a girl. Try and keep up.”

Well, you’re right about one thing. Pissed me off and that ain’t easy to do. Really got to ask. Why did you pick this forum here for your sales pitch? Have you read any of the logs? Nothing about eating or lifting shit in there. Just decide us old people needed some inspiration to train like men? Cappy and Yo momma pay attention now, you may learn something. Ain’t many of the people here using pink dumbbells (maybe skid, he likes different colored equipment).

As for the few women who post in this forum I think you might learn something from them. Your six big tips? Wow! Those are revolutionary. Here’s number 7. Analyze and know something about your audience before making your sales pitch. I think we are collectively in your debt. I’m now inspired. I might try some of those newfangled compound lifts tomorrow with those big ole 10lb dumbbells I’ve been working up the nerve to try. Thanks for the great first post. Don’t bother with a second.

Hey all, thanks for taking time to read and comment. I do appreciative it. It’s interesting see what people pull from the article… and just for the record my wife kicks some serious butt as well, CPT, RKC and 1st place finisher as a figure athlete.

[quote]hel320 wrote:
Well, you’re right about one thing. Pissed me off and that ain’t easy to do. Really got to ask. Why did you pick this forum here for your sales pitch? Have you read any of the logs? Nothing about eating or lifting shit in there. Just decide us old people needed some inspiration to train like men? Cappy and Yo momma pay attention now, you may learn something. Ain’t many of the people here using pink dumbbells (maybe skid, he likes different colored equipment).

As for the few women who post in this forum I think you might learn something from them. Your six big tips? Wow! Those are revolutionary. Here’s number 7. Analyze and know something about your audience before making your sales pitch. I think we are collectively in your debt. I’m now inspired. I might try some of those newfangled compound lifts tomorrow with those big ole 10lb dumbbells I’ve been working up the nerve to try. Thanks for the great first post. Don’t bother with a second.[/quote]

My thought was that he just needed to act like an idiot to get the stupid off his chest. Maybe not.

Though The Testosterone Advantage Plan : Lose Weight, Gain Muscle, Boost Energy by Lou Schuler, Jeff Volek, Michael Mejia, and Andy Campbell (Paperback - Dec 24, 2002)
Buy new: $15.00 $10.20
59 Used & new from $3.50

probably isn’t his book.

The guy that wrote that book also wrote New Rules of Lifting and would be doing a front page article on T-Nation.

Well, he probably won’t be back, but maybe after he vents and realizes what an idiot he was, he will get a clue and settle down … or go to another forum where he will fit in better.

Correct…it’s not my book and I’m still here…I’ve been around since the Muscle Media days and thanks again for the comments.

[quote]mindcoach wrote:
Correct…it’s not my book and I’m still here…I’ve been around since the Muscle Media days and thanks again for the comments. [/quote]

Gregg. I have to agree with the other guys here. Everyone loves a rant every so often but to come out with it on your first post is, in the words of Jennifer Aniston, “very uncool” (plus, as mentioned, we know all this stuff).

Things got even worse once I realised your profile was cut and pasted from

http://warriormindcoach.com/about.htm

A bit impersonal, lazy and, frankly, uncool. The newbies in the beginner section might appreciate this stuff more. So I suggest Gregg makes his own challenging choice and goes somewhere else.

I think an apt quote should suffice don’t you…

“When faced with a challenging choice or decision Gregg?s job is to ask: ?Are you prepared to make a choice??, ?Once the choice is made, are you courageous enough to start?? and ?Will you commit to finishing what you start??”

[quote]hel320 wrote:

As for the few women who post in this forum I think you might learn something from them. Your six big tips? Wow! Those are revolutionary. Here’s number 7. Analyze and know something about your audience before making your sales pitch. I think we are collectively in your debt. I’m now inspired. I might try some of those newfangled compound lifts tomorrow with those big ole 10lb dumbbells I’ve been working up the nerve to try. Thanks for the great first post. Don’t bother with a second.[/quote]

Oh no hel, 10 lb dumbbells are much too perilous.

[quote]mindcoach wrote:
Hey all, thanks for taking time to read and comment. I do appreciative it. It’s interesting see what people pull from the article… and just for the record my wife kicks some serious butt as well, CPT, RKC and 1st place finisher as a figure athlete. [/quote]

Does she train like a woman?

Damnit, I kept telling myself to ignore this thread, but I couldn’t help it.

I’m biting my tongue!! Really hard!!

In the past ,I would become frustrated looking a people doing endless hours of crunches and arm curls. Now I just carry on. I don’t seek my identity in their training. If I was a personal trainer- I would be blunt with clients. Do this and have a decent body or do that and be a fat ass. Careful not to take the stress home.

Most of the people here lift heavy. Sure, you get a clueless wannabee occasionally.If you look at the posts it's serious stuff.

Must be politically correct.

I have seen some women -I seriously thought could kick my ass.

[quote]Carl Darby wrote:
hel320 wrote:

As for the few women who post in this forum I think you might learn something from them. Your six big tips? Wow! Those are revolutionary. Here’s number 7. Analyze and know something about your audience before making your sales pitch. I think we are collectively in your debt. I’m now inspired. I might try some of those newfangled compound lifts tomorrow with those big ole 10lb dumbbells I’ve been working up the nerve to try. Thanks for the great first post. Don’t bother with a second.

Oh no hel, 10 lb dumbbells are much too perilous.[/quote]

I read on the internet that they’re ok as long as you don’t lift them above shoulder height.

[quote]mindcoach wrote:
Hey all, thanks for taking time to read and comment. I do appreciative it. It’s interesting see what people pull from the article… and just for the record my wife kicks some serious butt as well, CPT, RKC and 1st place finisher as a figure athlete. [/quote]

Nice. But on a personal note, if that’s your wife with the kettlebells then she’s probably got carpel tunnel in her future. She might want to hire someone to teach her how to hold the bells correctly.

Until then:

Cappy

I’m glad hels not mad at me…6’2’', 235 lbs.

You couldn’t have read any of the threads in this forum because everyone here lifts hard and heavy. Unless the’re training around an injury caused by lifting heavy.

If that ‘rant’ was aimed at the older T-Men, then you missed your mark my friend.

From what I’ve read here; these guys are either

a.) learning from the Sr. members
or
b.) strong and smart as can be

No little wimps here.

If the ‘rant’ was meant to be something for the ‘general public’; i understand. I see people like you described all the time at the gym and at work; it’s gross. Luckily for you; there are none here (or at least any that stay for too long).

Either way, you missed your mark.

Good words though, nothing like trying to make people workout by pissing them off!

I think you tried too hard to penetrate the over-35 T-Nation market with your new career. This may be the place that many of your potential clients hang out, but you might have focused your pitch a little better. Good luck

remember the rules, ghost before you post.

pass the ensure.