6 Giant Myths About Calories

I, on the other hand, always appreciate your jocular writing style. At times, it is downright jaunty.

This 7000 calorie per pound lost figure, or even 3500, surprises me. I seem able to shed fat quickly, for some reason. Based on the most casual kind of empiricism, I drop weight if I avoid refined carbohydrates, at the risk of sounding like a gluten-avoidant delicate petal. Although I only recently started formally exploring the topic, since starting a year ago to prepare to compete, I’ve always had the feeling my fast metabolism has to do with never having sabotaged it with stupid diets and staggering a baseline of reasonable calorie intake with regular instances of gluttony that seem to reassure my body I’m not starving. These have the fun bonus effect of making people stare in disbelief, since I’m about 100 pounds.

What happened with Antonio’s CON group

Nothing significant, as I recall. They were truly a control group – they stayed on their normal eating and training protocols.

The 7000 doesn’t apply to everybody, and you’re a good example. Hey, did I read that right? You’re about 100 pounds?

102 lbs. Indeed, it would probably make more sense if I contextualize that post by specifying that I am female and short, not a stick insect. Maybe not the dominant demographic on this site, but I’ve been lurking on here reading articles for years.

That’s what I figured. Didn’t want to make any assumptions. After all, you could have been a newly-interested-in-weightlifting Peter Dinklage :wink:

Interesting to read about the way calories are measured. It is also intriguing that the calories in a gram of P,C, and F are all whole numbers - perhaps there’s some rounding off here also. Hardly relevant to the general population for sure, but for those obsessed counters…

Very interesting read, TC!

I did catch that.:laughing:

Yeah, if memory serves, a gram of fat is actually closer to 8.8 calories; a gram of protein 4.1, and a gram of carbs 4.2.

I always thought the 3500 calorie rule was more about the actual weight loss on a scale. IE if you eat a 3500 deficit you will lose a half pound of fat, a third pound of glycogen, and approximately a third pound of water. Calorie counting has always been a blunt tool, but it is a tool that works if you understand the limitations.

When first published, this is the article that made me justify never counting calories! A lifetime of OCD food habits averted. Start with healthy veg, add decent protein and some healthy carbs on training days and bang I’m done! When I veer from this, my body knows it and shows it damn quick.