T Nation

6 Day Workout Program

Little bit of background:
Im an EMT at a hospital, work night shifts. Have been working out, lifting off and on for about 15years. I use gym time as a way to relieve a lot of stress so I like to be there 6days a week. I go in the afternoon before work and still go in afternoon on off days.
I like making up my own workout schedules by getting information from all opinions.

Question:
Does anyone have opinions on a workout schedule that would build strength, still keep lean and still allow me to hit the gym 6days a week for at least an hour and a half per day.
Thanks.

Look up the kingbeef thread, -generally intended as 4 days/week but should be fine doing something like 3 on one off. 4 days weights and 2 days hard conditioning another good option

My opinion is that if such a program works for you, do it.

It is also my opinion that with your job such a program is unlikely to let you recover properly.

I work shifts too (not as intense as an EMT, but still 12 hours long). What has worked really well for me is to train ONLY on my days off - but the sessions are two to three hours long, and I have a set rotation of two on/two off/three on/two off/two on/three off which works out nicely. I actually train six days a fortnight in blocks of two.

I would suggest that you schedule all your main work to be done on your days off: those will be longer, more intense sessions. On some of the days you work, go for much shorter sessions and just hit some assistance/accessory/conditioning work that doesn’t need as much mental focus.

I find it weird that working more would be considered an advantage in a program. I feel finding other ways to destress might be beneficial.

Anyway, if you insist on lifting 6 days a week, a push/pull/legs split would work fine.

This was my split when I was natural and chasing numbers. 3 plate bench, 4 plate squat, 5 plate deadlift in less than 2 years @80kg.

Day 1: Chest, Shoulders(Raises, Facepulls)
Day 2: Deadlifts
Day 3: Squat Rack Curls, Arms
Day 4: Low Bar Squats, Legs
Day 5: Bench, Military Press, Shoulders(Raises, Facepulls)
Day 6: High Bar Squat, Back

1 day off within 7 days. Or none at all.

Note: Started from 60kg bodyweight and was in a constant caloric excess throughout. If you are unable to recover due to diet, reduce volume.

ALL sets are pyramided/ ramped up to a top set, smaller increments for isolations.

Good input and solid ideas from the fellas so far.

[quote]billholy wrote:
Does anyone have opinions on a workout schedule that would build strength, still keep lean and still allow me to hit the gym 6days a week for at least an hour and a half per day.[/quote]
Training 6 days a week is fine. Training for an hour and a half each workout is fine. Requiring a program to let you do both will mean paying total attention to daily volume, daily intensity, and daily nutrition/recovery.

Some programs to consider:

Wendler also has a high frequency 5/3/1 template (Google it, should come up right away).

But those workouts will almost-definitely be less than an hour each. If you totally must lift for 90 minutes per session, then like I said the other day, consider a movement-based split:
Day 1: Squat, lower body stuff
Day 2: Bench, horizontal push/pull stuff
Day 3: Deadlift, lower body stuff
Day 4: Overhead press, vertical push/pull stuff
Day 5: Row, horizontal push/pull stuff
Day 6: Repeat
Day 7: Off

But, again, that level of training means recovery and diet needs to be dialed-in 100%.

I did it for years when I was a chef working 10-16 hours a day, 6 days a week. 1 body part per day. What can I say, it was the '90’s.

But, the 1.5 hours in the gym is insane. You will spend too much time puttering around or adding unnecessary exercises.

Best switch I did was full body 3x a week with cardio 3x a week. I was still under an hour for the work outs.

My .05 cents

These 1 post accounts that never respond really bug me. It’s why I tend to never reply to a topic until I see that the account has at least 2 posts.

[quote]JFG wrote:
But, the 1.5 hours in the gym is insane. You will spend too much time puttering around or adding unnecessary exercises.[/quote]

+1. Unless he is resting for 3-5 minutes between sets, 90 minutes is a VERY long time in the gym if you’re just strength training.

EDIT

billholy, consider incline walking as well. It will help you keep lean, burn time, and just as important it will be a lot less stress for physical/CNS recovery if you are going to lift 6 days a week.

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:
These 1 post accounts that never respond really bug me. It’s why I tend to never reply to a topic until I see that the account has at least 2 posts.[/quote]

x1000
usually 10 posts for me, but always like to help out first responders/military etc

[quote]RampantBadger wrote:

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:
These 1 post accounts that never respond really bug me. It’s why I tend to never reply to a topic until I see that the account has at least 2 posts.[/quote]

x1000
usually 10 posts for me, but always like to help out first responders/military etc[/quote]

Me too. It’s why I’d like to know if he’s receiving any of this info. Even just a simple “thanks for everything” helps.

Although those posts are also equally annoying when 14 people have responded, all of whom had some sort of question to the OP, and they just respond with a blanket “THANKS” and no reply.

I’m most likely just getting too old.

[quote]dt79 wrote:
Squat Rack Curls
[/quote]

I recently started doing these.

[quote]craze9 wrote:

[quote]dt79 wrote:
Squat Rack Curls
[/quote]

I recently started doing these.[/quote]

This oly lifter at my gym and I have a standing competition about coming up with the most retarded/complex curl variations. I fear we may have gone to far when we did Koji cheat curls with uneven loading.

[quote]craze9 wrote:

[quote]dt79 wrote:
Squat Rack Curls
[/quote]

I knew you would after I showed this to you bro!

[quote]dt79 wrote:

[quote]craze9 wrote:

[quote]dt79 wrote:
Squat Rack Curls
[/quote]

I knew you would after I showed this to you bro!

That is exactly right. Kali “We Pumpin” Muscle is the King of the Squat Rack Curl.