6 Day Split with Free Weights Only?

I’m currently doing a PPL type workout twice a week. I’ve been looking at some of the 6 day splits where you would hit each muscle group once a week on their dedicated days. On some of the sample programs I’ve seen online it seems those type workouts cater largely to machines, which offer tons of variety as well as very specific isolations of certain muscle(s).

Would A workout that detailed be possible for someone with access to no real machines minus as simple cable pull down/row type machine? Simply just free weights?

Search around for “Old School Bodybuilding Routines” or names of bodybuilders from the past like Reg Park, John Grimek and Bill Pearl.

T-Nation should have a bunch. The Tight Tan Slacks of Dezso Ban blog has articles from old body building authors like John McCallum and Anthony Ditillo.

In the past they had less machines and did lots of BB lifts.

2 Likes
3 Likes

That’s a lot of stuff. I like that. Makes my current workouts seem childish :joy:

It doesn’t matter what the program is, dude. It matters that you follow it to a T, work hard, and progressively overload. 3 days, 4 days, 5 days, 6 days, PPL, bro split, upper lower, full body, all of them work.

I love bro splits though and I enjoyed that program a lot. Read through it, design a template, and go.

And don’t get so bogged down with needing to lift 6 days. If you want to improve body composition we should get you doing some tough conditioning on non-lifting days!

2 Likes

Agreed. I know there are countless ways to skin this cat, I just really enjoy being in the gym. The programs I probably should be running I choose not too just because of the frequency of the workout.

Obviously end goal is why I’m here, but I want to enjoy the process.

You are definitely right about the conditioning! I need to get after that big time as I’ve neglected it big time. I have a paved walking track and a longer gravel walking track within walking distance of my house as well as big hills. I have no excuses not too.

1 Like

Is it ok to just keep doing what I’m doing? How long can you do the same thing?

Yes and no, and it depends, respectively.

If what you’re doing is yielding results, and you want to stick with it, keep doing it.

‘The same thing’ could mean a few different things. Same exercises, same weight, same sets, same reps, same rest periods, etc. I think a little bit of exercise rotation is healthy, but as long as you’re progressively overloading and things are working you can do the same thing for a really long time.

2 Likes

This is really no limitation at all. I can’t think of many, if any, programs that can’t be done with a barbell, dumbbells, and a pulley setup.

If really do you need a routine specifically designed for basic equipment, this is a 5-day routine that’s all free weights and no machines, which is why it’s called the Simple No-Machines Workout: The Simple No-Machines Workout

2 Likes

Decades. With mild variations over the years, of course.

4 Likes

It can’t be that simple? :open_mouth:lol

5 Likes