6-7 Days a Week Lifting

[quote]twojarslave wrote:

[quote]ScholesGoals wrote:
Is a belt nescessary for a new lifter straight away? Times are kinda tough right now and the cheapest decent belts in the UK are like �?�£70.00. That seems crazy expensive.[/quote]

I have been training beltless for a year now, focusing on heavy compounds. I don’t feel like I am any worse for wear because of it. Am I “stronger in the core” because of it? I don’t fucking know. I am as strong as I am.

Some very strong men on T-Nation have, however, convinced me of the wisdom in belting up, and a high-quality belt is now quite high on my list of things to purchase.

Whether you end up getting a belt or not, I see no reason to delay lifting while you make that call.
[/quote]

Hey I saw your thread where you helped you mate get into lifting, that was an awesome thread dude. If you are thinking of getting oly shoes and a belt I would say get the belt. I got oly shoes as a gift and I am starting to think squatting in chuck taylors is far better for low bar squatting. I really feel a stretch reflex in chucks.

I am very new to lifting though so taking my advice is like going to Gregg Valentino for advice on how to craft a well rounded physique.

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:

Is a belt nescessary for a new lifter straight away? Times are kinda tough right now and the cheapest decent belts in the UK are like �?�£70.00. That seems crazy expensive.[/quote]

Nothing is ever necessary, barring the basics like food, shelter and security. I regret not starting out with a belt, and were I able to do it all over again, I would have gotten one from the start.[/quote]

Do you think Mark Rippetoe is right when he says wearing a belt will strengthen your core or as he refers to it, your torso? I know he claims this but most people say they do beltless work to keep their core strength up, which I find confusing.

[quote]twojarslave wrote:

Is a belt nescessary for a new lifter straight away? Times are kinda tough right now and the cheapest decent belts in the UK are like �??�?�£70.00. That seems crazy expensive.[/quote]

I have been training beltless for a year now, focusing on heavy compounds. I don’t feel like I am any worse for wear because of it. Am I “stronger in the core” because of it? I don’t fucking know. I am as strong as I am.

Some very strong men on T-Nation have, however, convinced me of the wisdom in belting up, and a high-quality belt is now quite high on my list of things to purchase.

Whether you end up getting a belt or not, I see no reason to delay lifting while you make that call.
[/quote]

Hey I saw your thread where you helped you mate get into lifting, that was an awesome thread dude. If you are thinking of getting oly shoes and a belt I would say get the belt. I got oly shoes as a gift and I am starting to think squatting in chuck taylors is far better for low bar squatting. I really feel a stretch reflex in chucks.

I am very new to lifting though so taking my advice is like going to Gregg Valentino for advice on how to craft a well rounded physique. [/quote]

Thanks.

I’m in no huge rush for either, but a belt is definitely my next purchase that pertains to lifting. Gym fees, used home setup equipment on craigslist, kettlebells, belts, all this shit is adding up!

Alot of really strong guys seem to poo poo the idea of a fixed routine. Magnusson in this article claims he has always trained in a way similar to bodybuilders and :

A program for day to day training is overrated, I think. If you have a goal, I think your program should be on a week to week basis over a few months, and should be changed as often as needed to reach that goal. Maybe have a day to day guideline and alternate it as needed. This way you will become more in tuned with your body and will learn to listen to it, and reconstruct your feelings to fit your needs. Usually as a beginner to physical construction one will feel very tired and weak in his head and body on a day that he is actually at his strongest. And, when he steps on the scales and sees that his body weight has gone down his mind weakens even more. This feeling you learn by experience, and you change it in your head so it feels good, which is the correct message for your current goal at the time.

Do you think Mark Rippetoe is right when he says wearing a belt will strengthen your core or as he refers to it, your torso? I know he claims this but most people say they do beltless work to keep their core strength up, which I find confusing.

[/quote]

Wearing a belt in and of itself will not strengthen your core. Your core will get stronger if you wear a belt and lift heavy things while doing so, but in order to effectively make my core stronger, I find it is necessary to directly train it, rather than indirectly.

I don’t consider belted or beltless work in any capacity to be useful for developing core strength.

[quote]Reed wrote:
With that 6-7 days in the gym on a essentially random program of insane volume is just not going to work the majority of lifters especially if they are drug free. [/quote]

x2 unnecessary and a recipe for injury