T Nation

5x5??

just wondering what you thought of the stronglifts work out??

Workout A
Press ups 3 sets x reps to failure
Squats 5x5
Bench press 5x5
Bent over row 5x5
Biceps curl 3x21 (killer 21s google it!)

Workout B

Pull up/chin up 3x failure
Squats 5x5
Overhead press 5x5
Deadlift 1x5
Triceps extensions 5x5

Week 1

Day one: Workout A

Day two: Workout B

Day three: Workout A

Week 2

Day one: Workout B

Day two: Workout A

Day three: workout B…

only 1x5 on deadlifts… WTF? bump that up to 5x5 or do something mad like 8 triples.

it all depends on your goals, current stats etc…post them!

i beleive stronglifts is a beginner orientated programme.

Yeah I’m quite new to weight lifting but my one rep maxs are;

squat 100kg
deadlift 110kg
bench 70kg
bent over row 70kg
overhead press 45kg

"(killer 21s google it!) "

Are you kidding? Why would you dick around with 21 semi-half-assed reps? Why not be consistent and knock out 5x5 on bicep curls with a heavy enough weight to stimulate it? Or 5xfail is also a good choice. Maybe I am just a moron, but I found 21’s to be as useless as a football bat.

NO KEEP DEADLIFTS AT 1X5. Squatting 3 times a week is enough for the posterior chain.

Also get rid of triceps extensions. Just do the program. I am doing it now, and my squat has gone up 15 lbs in 4 workouts.

IMO, a better idea would be:

Workout A
Squats 5x5
Bench press 5x5
Bent over row 5x5

Workout B
Chin-ups 5x5
Deadlifts 5x5
Overhead press 5x5

Plus some assistance exercises - flyes, calf raises, etc. I don’t see why you would go to failure on a programme where you’re working most muscle groups 3 times a week, period.

[quote]G87 wrote:

Workout A
Squats 5x5
Bench press 5x5
Bent over row 5x5

Workout B
Chin-ups 5x5
Deadlifts 5x5
Overhead press 5x5

Plus some assistance exercises - flyes, calf raises, etc. I don’t see why you would go to failure on a programme where you’re working most muscle groups 3 times a week, period. [/quote]

x2

[quote]thosebananas wrote:
G87 wrote:

Workout A
Squats 5x5
Bench press 5x5
Bent over row 5x5

Workout B
Chin-ups 5x5
Deadlifts 5x5
Overhead press 5x5

Plus some assistance exercises - flyes, calf raises, etc. I don’t see why you would go to failure on a programme where you’re working most muscle groups 3 times a week, period.

x2[/quote]

x3

Do the way it says. Add a grip workout if you have DL trouble. Farmers walk is great for grip.

keep the 1x5 DL the routine was written like that for a reason. as for the 21’s. Loose them.
as for the overhead press, up to u if u would keep it 5x5 or 3x5.

[quote]njrusmc wrote:
"(killer 21s google it!) "

Are you kidding? Why would you dick around with 21 semi-half-assed reps? Why not be consistent and knock out 5x5 on bicep curls with a heavy enough weight to stimulate it? Or 5xfail is also a good choice. Maybe I am just a moron, but I found 21’s to be as useless as a football bat.[/quote]

mate what you chatting bout you ever tried doin em with a heavy weight!? so much harder than 5x5 on curls anyway!

troll?

You want to do 21s which is a hypertrophhy exercise yet you are doing a 5x5 workout which is a strength system.

Just do the workout, either as the adaptation per above or the original both will work.

If you do it properly you will have no energy to do the silly 21s or tricep pull downs.

Also can you do twelve unassisted chins in a row with perfect form? If you can’t then dump arm exercises.

1. If you think 21 reps, 14 of which are half-assed, is going to lead to hypertrophy, think again. Unless I am missing something huge, no one on these boards uses them. If you can do 21 reps with a “heavy” weight, then clearly the weight is not very heavy for you.

2. Others above have agreed with me. Maybe if you select an appropriate weight for the 5x5 you would be all set. 5xfail works excellently for me, assuming that fail is approx = 5.

1. 21s is a hypertrophy exercise :
    (from a google search)
    “Build Massive Biceps with 21s”
    “Buff up your biceps with the ‘21’ - The Fit List - msnbc.com
    “21s for biceps - Bodybuilding, Fitness and Health Forum …”

…but enough credence to an exercise that has no place in a beginners’ forum

One version floating around.

[quote]tommyv wrote:
just wondering what you thought of the stronglifts work out??

Workout A
Press ups 3 sets x reps to failure
Squats 5x5
Bench press 5x5
Bent over row 5x5
Biceps curl 3x21 (killer 21s google it!)

Workout B

Pull up/chin up 3x failure
Squats 5x5
Overhead press 5x5
Deadlift 1x5
Triceps extensions 5x5
[/quote]

Stronglifts is a fantastic program and website. However, somewhere you copied it down wrong.

Do you consider press ups to be dips? Anyway, do dips on workout A and drop the curls, for now. Dips are a fantastic exercise for the triceps and chest.

After having gone through the program (Starting Strength; similar) twice, I would do pull-ups over chin-ups. I found that the chins did not work the biceps nearly as much as was needed to stimulate growth.

Add curls in on every Friday. That is taken directly from the Starting Strength program.

[quote]echelon101 wrote:
Just do the workout, either as the adaptation per above or the original both will work.

If you do it properly you will have no energy to do the silly 21s or tricep pull downs.

Also can you do twelve unassisted chins in a row with perfect form? If you can’t then dump arm exercises.[/quote]

Good post. There were many workouts where I didn’t have the energy to do the dips or chins/pull-ups.