5x5 vs 5/3/1?

I will just do 5 3 1 bodybuilding template… Is that okay… And as for white rice boild 150 gram with launch is it fine? Yolk case too… Trying fix my diet…

[quote]rymo wrote:
I will just do 5 3 1 bodybuilding template… Is that okay… And as for white rice boild 150 gram with launch is it fine? Yolk case too… Trying fix my diet… [/quote]

Sounds fine to me.

I still want to know if the TC was happy with his results in the past 3 months. I don’t understand where the desire to do something different is coming from if he is, and if he’s not, I don’t understand the desire to do things the same.

One of the more frustrating experiences I have on this forum is my questions being totally ignored. I have a feeling that many people think they’re rhetorical simply because they are difficult to answer without a little introspection, but it’s actually the point of the exercise.

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:
I still want to know if the TC was happy with his results in the past 3 months. I don’t understand where the desire to do something different is coming from if he is, and if he’s not, I don’t understand the desire to do things the same.

One of the more frustrating experiences I have on this forum is my questions being totally ignored. I have a feeling that many people think they’re rhetorical simply because they are difficult to answer without a little introspection, but it’s actually the point of the exercise.[/quote]

It’s because you ask the good, hard questions that require introspection. No one likes answering those.

MarkKo… So it’s fine really to do the 5 3 1 at this phase of my body…and as fot fiet…i need u to trll me is it okay with thr white rice cuz i really need to find out thr truth …thank u…

[quote]rymo wrote:
MarkKo… So it’s fine really to do the 5 3 1 at this phase of my body…and as fot fiet…i need u to trll me is it okay with thr white rice cuz i really need to find out thr truth …thank u…[/quote]

Rymo, it is ABSOLUTELY fine for you to 531 now. It is one of the best overall strength building programs currently available. White rice is completely fine as far as I am concerned. Personally, I prefer potato or yam/taro but only from a taste and cooking point.

[quote]rymo wrote:
MarkKo… So it’s fine really to do the 5 3 1 at this phase of my body…and as fot fiet…i need u to trll me is it okay with thr white rice cuz i really need to find out thr truth …thank u…[/quote]

Listen. You did nothing wrong. You were going in the right direction. There is no “truth” you need to find.

You just needed some structure and a logical method of progression for your program, not a complete overhaul. Your bench workout has been used by a lot of successful people. It is not about the program, it is about the intensity you bring to the gym that gives you gains.

White rice is perfectly fine. Diet is INDIVIDUAL. I could eat big macs everyday and still stay lean when I was natural so I did it. You probably can’t. You need to find what works for you.

Use what you read as a guide but ALWAYS LET YOUR RESULTS DICTATE YOUR ACTIONS.

u guys want the truth… i hate how weak iam… i hate that i got fat and i hate my life cuz of that… iam fighting with my wife cuz she forced me to eat a big meal of bad carb cuz her brother would be mad if i didint… i cant stand being me…

What does 3 x 5 @ 60 % of training max accomplish for a beginner? Some movement practice?

1 Like

[quote]knokkelezoute73 wrote:
What does 3 x 5 @ 60 % of training max accomplish for a beginner? Some movement practice?[/quote]

Yup. Those sets aren’t meant to tire you out.

[quote]rymo wrote:
u guys want the truth… i hate how weak iam… i hate that i got fat and i hate my life cuz of that… iam fighting with my wife cuz she forced me to eat a big meal of bad carb cuz her brother would be mad if i didint… i cant stand being me…[/quote]

I’ll admit, my first instinct was to make a disparaging remark about this, but in the assumption you haven’t placed me on ignore (which at this point I assume you have since you don’t reply to my posts) I’ll say this:

If the worst thing going on in your life right now is that you were forced to eat yummy food with your family around the holidays, you have a pretty sweet thing going on right now. If you hate your life because you got fat and as a result can’t stand being yourself, you most likely have some very bad body image issues and should be seeking the kind of assistance that cannot be found on a web forum.

1 Like

[quote]rymo wrote:
u guys want the truth… i hate how weak iam… i hate that i got fat and i hate my life cuz of that… iam fighting with my wife cuz she forced me to eat a big meal of bad carb cuz her brother would be mad if i didint… i cant stand being me…[/quote]

I’ll admit, my first instinct was to make a disparaging remark about this, but in the assumption you haven’t placed me on ignore (which at this point I assume you have since you don’t reply to my posts) I’ll say this:

If the worst thing going on in your life right now is that you were forced to eat yummy food with your family around the holidays, you have a pretty sweet thing going on right now. If you hate your life because you got fat and as a result can’t stand being yourself, you most likely have some very bad body image issues and should be seeking the kind of assistance that cannot be found on a web forum.[/quote]… I didn’t ignore u… Sorry u thought so… I mean it… Now I wanna be great lifter… Elite lvl bodybuilder… Eating what u called yummy doesn’t matter to me… What matter is weights up and scale down… This helps me become happy… Not someone else likes me eating junk but me being happy with what time like doing… Lifting…

[quote]dt79 wrote:

[quote]dagill2 wrote:

[quote]rymo wrote:
So 5 3 1 bodybuilding template is fine? Question to all of u guys [/quote]

Final response from me, because I can see this edging towards an internet pissing contest. OP, you’ve done a great job losing the fat, don’t let anyone take that away from you. If you want to go down the route to strength and mass, the approach listed above is, I believe, a very good way to go, as is the 5/3/1 bodybuilding template Jim Wendler has written. Read some of Jim’s work, particularly around volume etc. IT will help you understand why the programs are structured like they are.

Good Luck, and enjoy the process.[/quote]
Aw come on it’s Christmas. No pissing contests.[/quote]
Another rock and roll christmas?

(surprisingly underrated song)

[quote]rymo wrote:

[quote]rymo wrote:

If the worst thing going on in your life right now is that you were forced to eat yummy food with your family around the holidays, you have a pretty sweet thing going on right now. If you hate your life because you got fat and as a result can’t stand being yourself, you most likely have some very bad body image issues and should be seeking the kind of assistance that cannot be found on a web forum.[/quote]… I didn’t ignore u… Sorry u thought so… I mean it… Now I wanna be great lifter… Elite lvl bodybuilder… Eating what u called yummy doesn’t matter to me… What matter is weights up and scale down… This helps me become happy… Not someone else likes me eating junk but me being happy with what time like doing… Lifting…

[/quote]
On a serious note, this sounds like a conversation you should have with your wife. I feel like things will go smoother for you if you both have a clear understanding of your priorities in life.

[quote]rymo wrote:

[quote]rymo wrote:

[/quote]

Well good luck with all that.

[quote]rymo wrote:
I mean it… Now I wanna be great lifter… Elite lvl bodybuilder…
[/quote]

Start with ‘I want to look hot naked’ for now. Elite level bodybuilder might (!) be in the cards 5-10 years from now if literally everything goes right.

[quote]rymo wrote:

[quote]rymo wrote:

[/quote]

Well good luck with all that.
[/quote]

Pretty much.

OP, you need to have a very serious think about where you’re at right now.

Training is awesome. I love my powerlifting, but I can tell you that life is pretty empty without family and friends. No reason to let family stuff push you out of training, but you definitely need to strike a balance.

If you go with ‘I want to look good naked’ when you talk to your wife, make sure you add ‘for you’ at the end of that. I’ve seen several guys (and girls) who decided to get in shape after being married, and the other partner immediately gets suspicious over their motivation. “I love you the way you are, who are you trying to look good for now?”

I would also add in there that you didn’t like the way you felt when you were fat, and you’ve been feeling better mentally and physically since you started losing weight…‘you don’t want me to feel bad about myself, do you honey?’ You could also try and get her to join you on this journey/adventure/challenge/whatever-name-will-get-her-interested, then it becomes another way to spend ‘quality time’ together.

Again, kudos to you on the progress you’ve made. When you sit her down for this conversation, make sure you have several points to make about why you are going to live your life this way. That way you show her it isn’t spur of the moment, and you have/are thinking this through.

[quote]boatguy wrote:
If you go with ‘I want to look good naked’ when you talk to your wife, make sure you add ‘for you’ at the end of that. I’ve seen several guys (and girls) who decided to get in shape after being married, and the other partner immediately gets suspicious over their motivation. “I love you the way you are, who are you trying to look good for now?”

I would also add in there that you didn’t like the way you felt when you were fat, and you’ve been feeling better mentally and physically since you started losing weight…‘you don’t want me to feel bad about myself, do you honey?’ You could also try and get her to join you on this journey/adventure/challenge/whatever-name-will-get-her-interested, then it becomes another way to spend ‘quality time’ together.

Again, kudos to you on the progress you’ve made. When you sit her down for this conversation, make sure you have several points to make about why you are going to live your life this way. That way you show her it isn’t spur of the moment, and you have/are thinking this through.[/quote]

All of this. Apart from the middle paragraph. I can’t recommend strongly enough that you do not ask/tell/whatever your wife she could use some exercise/dieting. And I can’t believe I have to actually type that. Seriously, just don’t do it.

Otherwise, I’ve found a three pronged argument works well:
Look better
Perform better (not just in the bedroom, you dirty bastard)
Feel better.

Why would anyone not want that for their partner? It’s a win-win.

Also bear in mind, this is likely to be a discussion and, this being a marriage, for both parties to walk away happy is likely to mean compromise. In this case she’s likely to support you more if you’re open to occasionally sitting down and eating a big meal of “yummy” without whining about it. It doesn’t seem like a big sacrifice to me, but then I am a fat kid at heart so I’m probably biased.

Having dated a girl that was obsessed with how I perceived her physical appearance (and made alterations to maximize my perceived attractiveness to her), anytime someone tells me they want to change how they look for me, it really throws up the “psycho flag” in all honesty. That to me speaks of a person with minimal self worth, whose esteem is more tied into what others think of them versus what they think of themselves.

I have a feeling his spouse is really unconcerned about if he has abs or not. I know mine doesn’t care, and she gets pretty fed up with me when I decide to go on a quest for abs and have meltdowns in the poptart aisle when we go shopping, haha.

3 Likes