T Nation

5x5 vs 5/3/1?


#1

been lifting or 3 month no qutting like i used to do… gained some strngth and some size and lost fat from 225 lbsw to 182… now help me plz find a good plan 5x5 or 5 3 1 as all i did in 3 month was jst lifting and eating clean lifting random workouts chest day back day etc…did some low reps as low as 3 to admit… i think it what made me gain some strngth too


#2

[quote]rymo wrote:
been lifting or 3 month no qutting like i used to do… gained some strngth and some size and lost fat from 225 lbsw to 182… now help me plz find a good plan 5x5 or 5 3 1 as all i did in 3 month was jst lifting and eating clean lifting random workouts chest day back day etc…did some low reps as low as 3 to admit… i think it what made me gain some strngth too[/quote]

We don’t know you. On what basis are we the right people to pick a program for you? But since you asked, fine. Calculate your training maxes and then do this:

Monday:

squats - 3x5 with 60% of your training max
deadlifts - 5/3/1 sets and reps
dips - 3 sets, AMRAP

Wednesday:
squats - 3x5 with 60% of your training max
bench press - 5/3/1 sets and reps
DB row - 3x10-15

Friday:
squats - 5/3/1 sets and reps
overhead press - 5/3/1 sets and reps
pull ups or lat pulldowns - 3x10-15

If you want to do cardio on top of this, carry a heavy-ish backpack (20-40lbs) for two miles on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays.

Whether you pick this or something else, stick to it for at least six months. Changing things every week is the main reason people make no progress.


#3

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:

[quote]rymo wrote:
been lifting or 3 month no qutting like i used to do… gained some strngth and some size and lost fat from 225 lbsw to 182… now help me plz find a good plan 5x5 or 5 3 1 as all i did in 3 month was jst lifting and eating clean lifting random workouts chest day back day etc…did some low reps as low as 3 to admit… i think it what made me gain some strngth too[/quote]

We don’t know you. On what basis are we the right people to pick a program for you? But since you asked, fine. Calculate your training maxes and then do this:

Monday:

squats - 3x5 with 60% of your training max
deadlifts - 5/3/1 sets and reps
dips - 3 sets, AMRAP

Wednesday:
squats - 3x5 with 60% of your training max
bench press - 5/3/1 sets and reps
DB row - 3x10-15

Friday:
squats - 5/3/1 sets and reps
overhead press - 5/3/1 sets and reps
pull ups or lat pulldowns - 3x10-15

If you want to do cardio on top of this, carry a heavy-ish backpack (20-40lbs) for two miles on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays.

Whether you pick this or something else, stick to it for at least six months. Changing things every week is the main reason people make no progress.[/quote]

You could do a lot worse than this.


#4

[quote]MarkKO wrote:

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:

[quote]rymo wrote:
been lifting or 3 month no qutting like i used to do… gained some strngth and some size and lost fat from 225 lbsw to 182… now help me plz find a good plan 5x5 or 5 3 1 as all i did in 3 month was jst lifting and eating clean lifting random workouts chest day back day etc…did some low reps as low as 3 to admit… i think it what made me gain some strngth too[/quote]

We don’t know you. On what basis are we the right people to pick a program for you? But since you asked, fine. Calculate your training maxes and then do this:

Monday:

squats - 3x5 with 60% of your training max
deadlifts - 5/3/1 sets and reps
dips - 3 sets, AMRAP

Wednesday:
squats - 3x5 with 60% of your training max
bench press - 5/3/1 sets and reps
DB row - 3x10-15

Friday:
squats - 5/3/1 sets and reps
overhead press - 5/3/1 sets and reps
pull ups or lat pulldowns - 3x10-15

If you want to do cardio on top of this, carry a heavy-ish backpack (20-40lbs) for two miles on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays.

Whether you pick this or something else, stick to it for at least six months. Changing things every week is the main reason people make no progress.[/quote]

You could do a lot worse than this. [/quote]

I second this. I’d probably make some minor modifications but not enough to be worth confusing you. Do this, make sure you fully understand what your training max is and isn’t. It is 90% of your current gym max. A max you could do most training days, with reasonable control, reasonable depth (on the squat/bench) and no help from a spotter etc. It is not a tool to measure your lifting dick with. Make it too high and you will limit your progress. I don’t know what happens if you set it too low, I’ve never seen anyone do it.

EDIT:
And post details of your diet, because it’s probably not as good as you think it is.


Rymon Log of Lifting
#5

my diet… after wake up 7.30 am 5 raw egg white and oats and milk
snack 3 hours later 200 gram cottge cheese and 5 egg white or tuna can instead of both
3 hours later 30 gram peanuts…
3 hours later lunch chicken breast girlled and vegis…and banana then 1 hour laster i go lift… then take my whey shake and eat with it 1 banana or five driedd dates…
then go home and eat 5 egg white boiled…thats it i drink some milk t night too
i want u guys to know this is so important to me… i waste lots of money on this food…
i am trying so hard to reach my goal… i only bench 30 kilo eash side of bar for 2 reps…it was 20 kilo eash side for 4 reps 3 month ago … so i gained soemthing …all i did was lifting bench in 3 range then i did my incline and flat dumbell press for 3 sets of 8 reps… and then flyes… i was trying so hard


#6

[quote]dagill2 wrote:

[quote]MarkKO wrote:

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:

[quote]rymo wrote:
been lifting or 3 month no qutting like i used to do… gained some strngth and some size and lost fat from 225 lbsw to 182… now help me plz find a good plan 5x5 or 5 3 1 as all i did in 3 month was jst lifting and eating clean lifting random workouts chest day back day etc…did some low reps as low as 3 to admit… i think it what made me gain some strngth too[/quote]

We don’t know you. On what basis are we the right people to pick a program for you? But since you asked, fine. Calculate your training maxes and then do this:

Monday:

squats - 3x5 with 60% of your training max
deadlifts - 5/3/1 sets and reps
dips - 3 sets, AMRAP

Wednesday:
squats - 3x5 with 60% of your training max
bench press - 5/3/1 sets and reps
DB row - 3x10-15

Friday:
squats - 5/3/1 sets and reps
overhead press - 5/3/1 sets and reps
pull ups or lat pulldowns - 3x10-15

If you want to do cardio on top of this, carry a heavy-ish backpack (20-40lbs) for two miles on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays.

Whether you pick this or something else, stick to it for at least six months. Changing things every week is the main reason people make no progress.[/quote]

You could do a lot worse than this. [/quote]

I second this. I’d probably make some minor modifications but not enough to be worth confusing you. Do this, make sure you fully understand what your training max is and isn’t. It is 90% of your current gym max. A max you could do most training days, with reasonable control, reasonable depth (on the squat/bench) and no help from a spotter etc. It is not a tool to measure your lifting dick with. Make it too high and you will limit your progress. I don’t know what happens if you set it too low, I’ve never seen anyone do it.

EDIT:
And post details of your diet, because it’s probably not as good as you think it is.[/quote]
i gotta tell u… i cant jst go to lift and do only 3 exsersiez,squats - 5/3/1 sets and reps
overhead press - 5/3/1 sets and reps
pull ups or lat pulldowns… bro i gotta do more voulme…


#7

[quote]rymo wrote:

[quote]dagill2 wrote:

[quote]MarkKO wrote:

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:

[quote]rymo wrote:
been lifting or 3 month no qutting like i used to do… gained some strngth and some size and lost fat from 225 lbsw to 182… now help me plz find a good plan 5x5 or 5 3 1 as all i did in 3 month was jst lifting and eating clean lifting random workouts chest day back day etc…did some low reps as low as 3 to admit… i think it what made me gain some strngth too[/quote]

We don’t know you. On what basis are we the right people to pick a program for you? But since you asked, fine. Calculate your training maxes and then do this:

Monday:

squats - 3x5 with 60% of your training max
deadlifts - 5/3/1 sets and reps
dips - 3 sets, AMRAP

Wednesday:
squats - 3x5 with 60% of your training max
bench press - 5/3/1 sets and reps
DB row - 3x10-15

Friday:
squats - 5/3/1 sets and reps
overhead press - 5/3/1 sets and reps
pull ups or lat pulldowns - 3x10-15

If you want to do cardio on top of this, carry a heavy-ish backpack (20-40lbs) for two miles on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays.

Whether you pick this or something else, stick to it for at least six months. Changing things every week is the main reason people make no progress.[/quote]

You could do a lot worse than this. [/quote]

I second this. I’d probably make some minor modifications but not enough to be worth confusing you. Do this, make sure you fully understand what your training max is and isn’t. It is 90% of your current gym max. A max you could do most training days, with reasonable control, reasonable depth (on the squat/bench) and no help from a spotter etc. It is not a tool to measure your lifting dick with. Make it too high and you will limit your progress. I don’t know what happens if you set it too low, I’ve never seen anyone do it.

EDIT:
And post details of your diet, because it’s probably not as good as you think it is.[/quote]
i gotta tell u… i cant jst go to lift and do only 3 exsersiez,squats - 5/3/1 sets and reps
overhead press - 5/3/1 sets and reps
pull ups or lat pulldowns… bro i gotta do more voulme…[/quote]

Why?


#8

[quote]rymo wrote:
i gotta tell u… i cant jst go to lift and do only 3 exsersiez,squats - 5/3/1 sets and reps
overhead press - 5/3/1 sets and reps
pull ups or lat pulldowns… bro i gotta do more voulme…[/quote]

I gotta tell you… You have no idea what you need. Do what I outlined, bust your arse on the “few” sets and your progress will be a lot better.


#9

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:

[quote]rymo wrote:
i gotta tell u… i cant jst go to lift and do only 3 exsersiez,squats - 5/3/1 sets and reps
overhead press - 5/3/1 sets and reps
pull ups or lat pulldowns… bro i gotta do more voulme…[/quote]

I gotta tell you… You have no idea what you need. Do what I outlined, bust your arse on the “few” sets and your progress will be a lot better.[/quote]

This. Don’t confuse quantity with quality.


#10

[quote]MarkKO wrote:

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:

[quote]rymo wrote:
i gotta tell u… i cant jst go to lift and do only 3 exsersiez,squats - 5/3/1 sets and reps
overhead press - 5/3/1 sets and reps
pull ups or lat pulldowns… bro i gotta do more voulme…[/quote]

I gotta tell you… You have no idea what you need. Do what I outlined, bust your arse on the “few” sets and your progress will be a lot better.[/quote]

This. Don’t confuse quantity with quality. [/quote]
But 5x5 for bench and that’s it? Not enough I think… And what about my diet…did u read it


#11

[quote]dagill2 wrote:

[quote]rymo wrote:

[quote]dagill2 wrote:

[quote]MarkKO wrote:

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:

[quote]rymo wrote:
been lifting or 3 month no qutting like i used to do… gained some strngth and some size and lost fat from 225 lbsw to 182… now help me plz find a good plan 5x5 or 5 3 1 as all i did in 3 month was jst lifting and eating clean lifting random workouts chest day back day etc…did some low reps as low as 3 to admit… i think it what made me gain some strngth too[/quote]

We don’t know you. On what basis are we the right people to pick a program for you? But since you asked, fine. Calculate your training maxes and then do this:

Monday:

squats - 3x5 with 60% of your training max
deadlifts - 5/3/1 sets and reps
dips - 3 sets, AMRAP

Wednesday:
squats - 3x5 with 60% of your training max
bench press - 5/3/1 sets and reps
DB row - 3x10-15

Friday:
squats - 5/3/1 sets and reps
overhead press - 5/3/1 sets and reps
pull ups or lat pulldowns - 3x10-15

If you want to do cardio on top of this, carry a heavy-ish backpack (20-40lbs) for two miles on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays.

Whether you pick this or something else, stick to it for at least six months. Changing things every week is the main reason people make no progress.[/quote]

You could do a lot worse than this. [/quote]

I second this. I’d probably make some minor modifications but not enough to be worth confusing you. Do this, make sure you fully understand what your training max is and isn’t. It is 90% of your current gym max. A max you could do most training days, with reasonable control, reasonable depth (on the squat/bench) and no help from a spotter etc. It is not a tool to measure your lifting dick with. Make it too high and you will limit your progress. I don’t know what happens if you set it too low, I’ve never seen anyone do it.

EDIT:
And post details of your diet, because it’s probably not as good as you think it is.[/quote]
i gotta tell u… i cant jst go to lift and do only 3 exsersiez,squats - 5/3/1 sets and reps
overhead press - 5/3/1 sets and reps
pull ups or lat pulldowns… bro i gotta do more voulme…[/quote]

Why?[/quote]
That way I do more work…


#12

[quote]rymo wrote:

That way I do more work…
[/quote]

How has that approach worked out for you so far?


#13

photos of what i did in 3 month… before and 1 montha go and taken today with hand band


#14

[quote]rymo wrote:

[quote]MarkKO wrote:

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:

[quote]rymo wrote:
i gotta tell u… i cant jst go to lift and do only 3 exsersiez,squats - 5/3/1 sets and reps
overhead press - 5/3/1 sets and reps
pull ups or lat pulldowns… bro i gotta do more voulme…[/quote]

I gotta tell you… You have no idea what you need. Do what I outlined, bust your arse on the “few” sets and your progress will be a lot better.[/quote]

This. Don’t confuse quantity with quality. [/quote]
But 5x5 for bench and that’s it? Not enough I think… And what about my diet…did u read it
[/quote]

Yes, 5x5 for bench is PLENTY.

Your diet isn’t overly impressive. I doesn’t look like you’re getting many carbs at all, nor good fats (unless I’m missing something). Your protein intake is also pretty low. Whole eggs aren’t so high in protein, maybe 12 grams per 100 grams net weight. If you’re taking out the yolk it’ll be even less.

Look, I’ll be blunt: you’re getting good advice from people who started where you did but have advanced. Along the way I’m pretty sure we’ve all made a bunch of dumb mistakes with training and diet.

So, if you think you know what you need to do, go ahead and good luck. Just remember that you came here asking for advice, which means you probably felt like you didn’t know what to do.

You may not like the advice you’re getting. That’s fine. Doesn’t mean its bad advice though.

You’ve trained for three months and gone from a 60 kg bench to an 80 kg bench. Good. Now it’s gotten harder to get stronger. That’s normal.

So: do the program set out above. Do it properly. Don’t fuck around and add or remove things. Forget the ‘I need more volume’ crap for three months. Eat a bunch more, and stop wasting your yolks.

Three months later if you haven’t put more on your bench and added some muscle into the bargain, THEN you can come back and tell us how it didn’t work.


#15

[quote]rymo wrote:
photos of what i did in 3 month… before and 1 montha go and taken today with hand band[/quote]

If that’s a response to Pwnisher’s question, I’d say it shows you lost fat (unsurprising given your diet, but good work anyway) and built a little muscle around your shoulders and chest.

In other words, not so terrifically well that you should hang doggedly on to your current ideas of what constitutes proper training and eating.


#16

[quote]rymo wrote:
photos of what i did in 3 month… before and 1 montha go and taken today with hand band[/quote]

Are you satisfied with these results? If so, why do you want to change your training? If not, why do you want to keep it the same?


#17

first thank u guys for caring …means alot to me… now whats wrong with my diet… writ a diet for me and i will do it… if ur sure of what u do i will love to listen… makes me happy to eat more :slight_smile: now my porblem with going to the gym and do 3 moves is i find it so low… will i keep burning fat? willi get stronger faster with too much less work ? this plan doesnt have calv or arm work or traps at all… where do i go wrong… used to go to the gym do bench press bar and dumb…incline bar and dumb… flyes on cable and incline pull over …then triceps work… u know now what makies me scared of 3 moves plan…


#18

What you’ve got to understand is that coming out of training tired isn’t the goal. The goal is to get bigger and stronger.

To that end, yes, the program written above will do that. You need to get your maxes, and set them realistically. So, for example, you bench 80 kg for two. Your max is probably around 85-90 kg, and your training max 90% of that. Let’s call it 77.5 kg to be safe, and round to 75 kg.

How do you think you’ll feel if you do 3x5 at 45 kg, which is 75% of your training max? Followed by 531 sets? You’ll be GLAD there isn’t much left to do.

Imagine how you’ll feel after squats…

For diet, plenty of excellent articles on this site.


#19

i will try it today… but will i keep losing fat…? as for diet u may suggest more good carb and protein food…


#20

what u mean 45 kilo then followed by 531 sets