5x5 Starr for Strongman

I am going to be at that show as well not competing but watching. I have been the past two years and I love the show all the guys put hell of alot effort into it. Hopefully I will see you their and meet you to in person.

[quote]im_the_truth_ wrote:
3whitelights: I am following Bill Starr’s traditional 5x5 but switching the exercises from Back Squat, Power Cleans, and Bench Press to Front Squat, Deadlifts and Power Shrugs, and Seated Military Press. I am only doing very little assistance work mainly light biceps, rear delts, calves, and abs.

I have a few types of equipment at my home, such as a very large tire for flipping, a sled, wheel barrow I use for type of farmers walks, and few rocks of different sizes and shapes I have found. Do you have any advice on how to put event training in with a 5x5 program. Thank you.[/quote]

If you train for strongman, wouldn’t it make more sense to do the press standing? That would seem more sport specific.

[quote] OBoile wrote:
If you train for strongman, wouldn’t it make more sense to do the press standing? That would seem more sport specific.[/quote]

Well, it really depends. Some guys are amazing pressers and are strict pressers. I would say that they are better off doing all of their work standing, but I imagine that seated pressing for these guys serves the same function as bench pressing… it allows for a more stable base, which allows for heavier pressing. I found (and I’ve heard this same point echoed by a good number of guys) that my overhead pressing went to crap when I stopped bench pressing. If I stick to ONLY standing overhead presses I actually will detrain my triceps/shoudlers. So a mix of skill work (standing jerks and push presses) and brute work (flat bench) works best for maintaining competency in sport specific work and allows strength development under loads heavier than sport specifics can provide.

think of the bench press being the rack pull for a deadlifter.

[quote]threewhitelights wrote:
If you want to do another out of state show, I’m doing Georgia’s Strongest Man. Atlanta is, at least everytime I’ve checked, a really cheap airport to fly into, and supposedly its a really good show put on by a great promoter.
[/quote]

I have the Hardware showdown on the 2nd, Xenia Outback on the 16th, then the Police/Fire/Military Nationals on the 18th of July. August 22nd I’ve got the Jack Katz, then September 19 I have Xenia Old fashioned Strength…

that is 6 contests through the summer (what, $300 in entry fees? :smiley: ), which may be as much as I can handle this year. Somewhere in there I think our training group is going to watch the America’s strongest man comp too. I seem to recall it is in W.V.

[quote]Andrew.Cook wrote:
OBoile wrote:
If you train for strongman, wouldn’t it make more sense to do the press standing? That would seem more sport specific.

Well, it really depends. Some guys are amazing pressers and are strict pressers. I would say that they are better off doing all of their work standing, but I imagine that seated pressing for these guys serves the same function as bench pressing… it allows for a more stable base, which allows for heavier pressing. I found (and I’ve heard this same point echoed by a good number of guys) that my overhead pressing went to crap when I stopped bench pressing. If I stick to ONLY standing overhead presses I actually will detrain my triceps/shoudlers. So a mix of skill work (standing jerks and push presses) and brute work (flat bench) works best for maintaining competency in sport specific work and allows strength development under loads heavier than sport specifics can provide.

think of the bench press being the rack pull for a deadlifter. [/quote]

I was refering more to the “seated military press” being included as a main lift rather than some standing press variant as opposed to standing press vs. bench press.

I could see the advantage of using a bench press as it is superior for overall upper body strength, but I don’t see how a strongman competitor would benefit from doing an overhead press from a seated position vs. standing.

that being said, I really don’t know much about strongman training in general, so I’m certainly ready to accept that my thoughts are not correct.

[quote]OBoile wrote:
I was refering more to the “seated military press” being included as a main lift rather than some standing press variant as opposed to standing press vs. bench press.

I could see the advantage of using a bench press as it is superior for overall upper body strength, but I don’t see how a strongman competitor would benefit from doing an overhead press from a seated position vs. standing.

that being said, I really don’t know much about strongman training in general, so I’m certainly ready to accept that my thoughts are not correct.[/quote]

All depends, I don’t get shit out of seated pressing, others do lots of seated pressing and do well. MOST of the work should be standing though, no matter what kind of presser you are, IMO.

[quote]Magarhe wrote:
I like Starr 5x5. BUT … I would recommend Jim Wendlers’ 5-3-1 and modify it, it is damned flexible, will give you a lot of good progress in overhead, bench, deadlift and squat, and has a lot of freedom to do accessory work specific to strongman.

[/quote]

i keep on more of a 10-8-8-6-6 routine for squats and such. and my push press straight to overhead militaries to my ches is 8x4 with no stop from push to military. someitmes for squat and bench i use a 5x5 and the last one i go to failure or put on a weight id do for 3 and try for five.but im also a novice strongman competitior, but it seems like its working. DOES ANYONE LIVE IN MICHIGAN? IF YOU ARE AND ARE DOIN SOME COMPS, PLEASE MESSAGE ME

[quote]OBoile wrote:

that being said, I really don’t know much about strongman training in general, so I’m certainly ready to accept that my thoughts are not correct.[/quote]

It really just depends. Seated military presses can allow you to brace yourself and may allow you to move more weight than if you were free standing (assuming you are a strict presser and not a push press or jerk guy).

I think that SOME pressing has to be done from the standing position, but if you are log pressing on the weekend and then doing seated military during the week… eh, that is fine. I press 2-3 times a week, and the majority of it is standing. I’m not a strict presser, and when I do my standing press what I am focusing on is not the press, it is leg drive and catch. So once a week I bench so that should my leg drive not quite get the weight all the way to lockout, I’ll be able to press it out. However, having to press out a weight is NOT my first choice.