5x5 Noob

Tomorrow will be my fourth day of SL 5x5. Im sore as fuck, so I wanted to know if the frequency of Monday, Wednesday, and Friday is good for a beginner. From what I saw, Im supposed to alternate workout A and B on those days, with Tuesday, Thursday, and weedkends off. Will my body adapt to the frequency after a few cycles, because right now my hamstrings and lower back are pretty beatski, and im supposed to deadlift tomorrow again.

You’ll be fine, just push through it and make sure your form is solid. Good luck!

You’ll push through it. Make sure you’re eating enough and sleeping enough. There are a lot of good articles on recovery here and on elitefts. Foam rolling, stretching, extra light workouts, and things like contrast showers help too.

Okay thanks. I figured my body will adjust. Sleep and food are two things I get plenty of.

Make sure you started light enough, otherwise your progress might stall too early. I think his actual recommendations are starting with bar for OHP, 95 lbs for bench and squat and row, and 135 for DL, maybe even 95 for DL. Not exactly heavy weights. BUT, it adds up fast. I f you start out squatting 95 and consistently add 10lbs every session like he has programmed, you will get up to squatting 300 in a very short time

Can someone link me the real 5x5 program? I developed mine from other users’ threads. I kept seeing Mehdi as the originator? Im using lighter weight, but from what I gathered, Id only increase weight when i achieve 5x5 at a fixed weight. So for instance, im benching 155# for 5-5-5-4-3, so i still work with 155 until i get 5x5?

Just type stronglift 5x5 in google and it’s the first link.

If you want to do SL 5x5, you should look up the real program. It’s free online if you google it. You can get an explanation of how you’re supposed to increase the weights.

The idea is to start ridiculously light. The first couple weeks shouldn’t really be a challenge. So if you’re getting sore on the 4th workout, you started too heavy. If you’re in doubt, you can start with the bar for everything (for rows and deadlift, this means you need to use boxes or something to get the right starting height).

You’re right that you don’t move up until you get the 5x5, but you should start light enough that you aren’t even close to failing the 5x5 for many weeks. I went the full 12 weeks without stalling on anything but OHP.

Oh okay, I started with weights that I was able to get 5x5 with all my effort. I didnt read into the program at all. I honestly just thought you do those lifts for 5x5. Sorry, but what is the point of starting light if there it’s not hard? Why is it not advised to just go in with weight that is challenging? Is this mainly for developing good form? I focus on form a lot, so im not lwtting ego get in the way of that. Im squatting 125, DL 165, OHP i got 95 dor 5x5 last time, so today i did 105 but onlt able to do 3x5. Rows were 115 5x5. Should i drop back down to wgere everyrhing is easy, or keep going at a difficult weight?

[quote]DeltaCypher0 wrote:
Why is it not advised to just go in with weight that is challenging? Is this mainly for developing good form?[/quote]

It’s for developing form. It’s for developing training habits.

And honestly, it’s for building strength too. You can build strength at as little as 70% of your max; it doesn’t have to be 98+%. So basically you work to get stronger… while you’re getting stronger… and it keeps pushing back the point in time until you really just can’t get any stronger. Then you drop down the weight and reset, which lets you build strength still at a lower %… and push back to that point where those two lines intersect.

Yeah, you’re going to hate it for a few weeks, but drop down 10-30% from where you are right now.

[quote]DeltaCypher0 wrote:
Why is it not advised to just go in with weight that is challenging? Is this mainly for developing good form?[/quote]

It’s for developing form. It’s for developing training habits.

And honestly, it’s for building strength too. You can build strength at as little as 70% of your max; it doesn’t have to be 98+%. So basically you work to get stronger… while you’re getting stronger… and it keeps pushing back the point in time where you can’t progress the next workout. Then you drop down the weight and reset, which lets you build strength still at a lower %… and push back to that point where those two lines intersect.

Yeah, you’re going to hate it for a few weeks, but drop down 10-30% from where you are right now.

warm down and stretch hard afterwards

Good feedback here. I’ll say that your body adapts from discomfort with all things in life so keep your head down. This post is fairly old so I’m curious as to how you’re progressing at this point in time.?