5x5 (Madcow) or 5/3/1

currently only trianing twice a week but want to get into one of the above programs in the next couple of weeks. I like the simplicity of both. Question is which one should I do. Should I do 5x5 then progress into 5/3/1 ? Goals are size/strength leaning more towards strenght. Both programs will be started light and build up to respectable weights.

So which one ? Want to hear opinions on those that have done either or both programs.

[quote]docholliday7777 wrote:
currently only trianing twice a week but want to get into one of the above programs in the next couple of weeks.[/quote]
Will you still only be training twice a week on either of these programs? If so, 5/3/1 will probably be easier to adapt to that kind of limited gym time.

Really, either program is connected to a ton of success stories. There’s no clear “wrong” answer.

I would move to 3 days a week. 4 eventually.
What are the differences or pros and cons of each . Looks like 5x5 is allot more volume

Buuuuuump

A: what is your height/weight/bf% ?
B: How strong are you currently in the squat, dead and bench?

if you cannot yet squat your body weight on the bar, i would recommend 5x5 for now due to the 3x week squats = practise, which is always good for a newb.

When/if you can, do 5/3/1, as it is very flexible and you can personalise it toward your goals, be that bodybuilding or more strength orientated.

531 is more flexible, as has been said.

Here’s the step-by-step guide I use to decide which protocol I want to pursue:

1. Figure out which one piques my interest the most.

2. Grab my nuts.

3. Do it.

Don’t overthink this and don’t look back. Be a man of action.

I’m 5 - 9 about 210 with belly fat. I am not strong in any of the lifts which is the main reason for wanting to do the two programs. I like that bent rows are part of the 5x5 I don’t ohp due to disc issues in my neck. Would it be OK to substitute ohp with rows in the 5/3/1 program ? I also would be using split squats or using a trap bar from a deficit to mimic squats cuz I don’t do back squats ( don’t load my spine cuz of the neck issue)

surely doing heavy pulls with the trap bar would mess up your neck too? Get that shit fixed!

[quote]empenney wrote:

2. Grab my nuts.

3. Do it.

Don’t overthink this and don’t look back. Be a man of action.[/quote]

Solid advice here. This should be a sticky

[quote]caveman101 wrote:
surely doing heavy pulls with the trap bar would mess up your neck too? Get that shit fixed![/quote]

Pulling doesn’t bother it at all … I actually feel good afterwards…that surgery is a bitch no thanks

[quote]empenney wrote:

2. Grab my nuts.

3. Do it.

Don’t overthink this and don’t look back. Be a man of action.[/quote]

Great advice I’m gonna go with 5x5 and move on to 5/3/1 when I start stalling out.

One question though when do u deload with madcow 5x5 ? Can’t find it in the articles I read

Would it be OK to substitute ohp with rows in the 5/3/1 program ?[/quote]
Rows are fine. But it does suck that you’re injured to the point of not being able to perform two basic exercises. Addressing the issue and “curing” it as best as possible will only be a good thing for the future.

Will one of these be your squat alternative during Madcow too?

As far as I remember, deloads aren’t programmed into the basic Madcow routine. If you deload at all, you’d use your own judgment as to when and how.

Chris I agree that it sucks but not much I can do besides be happy that I can train around it vs not training at all the injury as well as other that aren’t as severe were work related my fear is I can be foreced to retire if the surgery doesn’t heal 100 percent perfect.

As for the trap bar my plan was to mimic the squat buy pulling from a deficit and keeping my torso upright and then using it also for dreads.

Just to throw in a wrench… what about texas method?

I don’t know much about it will look into it though… is it strength based or hypertrophy ?

I don’t know much about it will look into it though… is it strength based or hypertrophy ?[/quote]

start on 5x5 the other is for a more advanced lifter and will not give you the same strength gains. As it is for someone who has reached and knows what their 1rm is . Im pretty sure you aint at that level yet by the sounds of it . Start on 5x5 and take it slow . start on the recommended weighs even if they seem easy. it will become hard quick enough.

I started 5x5 over 12 months ago and started everything on recommended weight . Even with a 10 week injury break due to a torn hip flexor and then having to drop all my weights. I am now back to squatting 130kgs Was up to 160kgs before injury. deadlifting 190kgs and still doing 5x5 . Trust me if you work on using perfect form and hip and ankle mobility … life will be great

Both work, but I’d veer towards 5/3/1 as you can get in direct arm work and compound-only programs tend to leave the gunz lagging

texas method is very similar to strong lifts work out … Was the texas method invented by pendelay ??? i cant remember … But i know the guy who made stronglifts based it on the teaching of mr pendelay

Nightwalkerian
I agree that my level of strength sucks so I went with 5x5 its the bill Starr version with ramping weight. My numbers suck I think this program will help me get to where I need to be from having such a long time away from the gym.

Rpantbadger I agree that the lack of arm work sucks ( 3 sets for bicep and tris per week) but for now I will stick to it how its written but will add more assistance down the road.

The bitch is adding weight in such small incriments to dumbbells for chest … oh well