T Nation

5x5 Injury, What Routine Next?

I have been doing stronglifts 5x5 http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/
I found it awesome at first. My legs and shoulders have shown some good gains and all of my lifts have been going up, but lately it has been putting a lot of stress on my lowerback. I was doing rackpulls instead of deadlifts yesterday and pulled back to fast pulling something in my lower back. Now I need a new routine for mass that will be easy on the lowerback. Any suggestions?

Take a week or two off lifting.

Lower back injuries are NOTHING to scoff at.

I was out of the game for more then a year because i tried to train through one.

Rest
Ice
Compression
Heat
REST

when you go back, do the 5x5 lifts; but try something more like 4x10 or something with lighter weight.

don’t let your ego hurt you more. lower the weight and get over the injury or you’ll be in pain for too long and loose valuable time.

When you were doing rack-pulls, did you make sure to finish it by pulling your hips forward instead of over-arching your back? That might explain the lower back tweaking you did.

I’m with B Rock. Rest, ice compresseion… elevation… and more rest.

When you start training agin, do more ab work too. 5x5’s don’t usually include any direct ab work, and that too leads to lower back injuries.

[quote]B rocK wrote:
Take a week or two off lifting.

Lower back injuries are NOTHING to scoff at.

I was out of the game for more then a year because i tried to train through one.

Rest
Ice FIRST 24-48 HOURS
Compression
Heat AFTER 48 HOURS
REST - Avoid sitting too long, lie on your back with your knees up and feet flat on floor, keep mobile.

[/quote]

I second this and add that you really want to make sure it’s healed up properly because if not it will give you grief for years to come!

I would maybe get some soft tissue work on the area and spend some time examining whether there are any areas that need addressing so that it doesn’t happen again…is your core strength up to scratch? Do you do mobility work for your hips etc? Do you have an anterior pelvic tilt? Basically are there any reasons that your lowerback was feeling stressed before the injury??

Spend the time recovering in a productive way and learn as much as poss about how to prevent it happening again. The muscle will come back when you can lift again but if you jump in too soon you will regret it later.

Much as I don’t usually advocate machines, if you want to maintain some muscle in the meantime, do a few sets of supported machine stuff like chest press and seated row so you don’t stress your lower back as much.

I’m taking a week off. Ice pack, heating pad, and advil have been my friends. The overall program seemed to stress my lower back after a few weeks. Every workout squats and then deads or bent over rows. I have had trouble adding weight to my squat while still being able to squat past parallel. Maybe I will try some core work and continue to work on my mobility. I’m just worried about going back to the 5x5 and hurting myself again.

Any more suggestions? I am really thinking about doing a new routine. I am going to keep squatting and try to keep deadlifting, but will probably replace the bent over row. My back is feeling a little better and wearing a brace at work has been very helpful. Thanks again.

im sorry, i just gotta throw this out there.

THIS IS WHY BEGINNERS SHOULD NOT DO 5X5

I wouldnt jump to the conclusion that it is the 5x5 routine itself that is the problem, first make sure your form is solid and you have to be sure you are progressing with the weight appropriately.

I’ve been consistenly adding weight to the deadlift and bench press. I have had to lower the weight and start again on the squat, military press, and bent over row.

I also do dips(3 sets of 10) and weighted chins with 35lbs of weight. I’ve been doint the 5x5 for almost two months and have been lifting for 9 months.

[quote]Shadowzz4 wrote:
I wouldnt jump to the conclusion that it is the 5x5 routine itself that is the problem, first make sure your form is solid and you have to be sure you are progressing with the weight appropriately.[/quote]

that is the juxtaposition we are in.

5x5 is great, beginner, intermediate, advanced…

but a beginner going heavy 5x5 without proper supervision… thats the problem.

Good work.

Remember about the whole “Don’t let your Ego get the best of you”

That was the hardest part of my returning to the gym.

Plus, training with a powerlifting team makes squating 95lbs at 185lb make you feel like a biatch! lol

oh well.

If your having problems with your range of movement in the squat etc, check out some of the articles at Stronglifts. They have alot of vids showing mobility exes and corrections you an do.

Start with this article and you’ll find more links.

I would be cautious of adding more weight until you iron out the ‘kinks’ in your movement otherwise you are just compounding the problem.

Thanks for all the replies. I went back to the gym today. Did 5x5 squats with really light weight and substituted seated rows for bent over rows. Still a little stiffness in my back, but no pain at all. Plan on taking it easy for this week and maybe next.

Are you properly warming up before attempting to lift? You should always do some sort of full body warm up for at least 5 minutes. I do jumping jacks, squat thrust, and then the rower for 4 minutes. I think people often miss the point of warming up before lifting. What does your warm up routine consist of? Hopefully not just a few herkey jerky movements…

My first 5 months of lifting I rode a bike for 5-10min before lifting. Now I before squats I do some stretching and 10 squats with just the bar followed by a set of 5 with light weight.