5x5: Increasing Reps or Weight?

[quote]bwhitwell wrote:
Having started my training in the late seventies and early eighties , I was raised with volume and “feel” the weight to get the needed intensity and stimulation to the muscle. Well since reading T-Nation, I have tried more weight with less reps and I increased strength but I felt like I lost fullness of the muscle.[/quote]

Yes, T-Nation change everyones mind…

[quote]
So, now I have decided that I just don"t eat enough and I am going to do both methods of training. I have chosen 3 exercises for 10x3 and the rest are fast paced sets of 10 reps. I"ll have to see what happens. I know that is not a new method or anything, but I guess change is hard.[/quote]

Yeap! My beginner mind think that this is the key. Almost every part for 10x3 (or near) is too hard sometimes. With LESS exercises this is possible, but when I was trying to do this in almost EVERY exercise I was completely fucked up. So I start to eat much more, but really nothing change (not really but…).

Personally, I won’t change anything at the moment in my routine (and for the next years:) just eat, eat, eat more and listen the reaction of my body. BUT less exercises (max 5) in 10x3 and every other to 10 reps it’s good point davidtower.

[quote]stockzy wrote:
Simonidas wrote:
thorax wrote:
I do the opposite - when I can’t add to the bar and hit 5x5, I add it anyway but switch to 6x4, on the next workout I add the weight again and switch to 8x3. Then I go back to 5x5 and try to use the weight from 6x4 workout.

1.what more do you people think about that? I do it obviously in the same way & it obviously works great but I need more opinions.

To truely make it effective for bodybuilding purposes you would need to do 7 x 4 in the same amount of time and weight as your stalled 5x5 to make it a progression. 28 reps at said weight in said time as aposed to 25 reps at said weight in said time. That’s straight escalating density right there.

1. OP asked about increase reps, is this shit or not? U know, hit 5x5 next 5x6… (the same weight) and then 5x5 with next bar… or maybe it’s the same thing, just add to the bar and that’s all?

There’s so many ways to train. Working a 5 x 5 up to 5 x 8 wether ramped or not then going back to 5 x 5 with new weight would be fine imo.

And Sento i don’t disagree with you I was just explaining volume training in a little more depth as this thread was about volume. Increasing reps of a given weight IS increasing volume. When you put the weight up and go back to the start you’ve auto regulated your training volume.

wk 1 : 100 x 5 reps = 500
wk 2 : 100 x 6 = 600
wk 3 : 100 x 7 = 700
wk 4 : 100 x 8 = 800
put the weight up go back to 5
wk 1 : 110 x 5 = 550
wk 2 : 110 x 6 = 660
wk 3 : 110 x 7 = 770
wk 4 : 110 x 8 = 880

Hypertrophy is a function of volume. But nothing works without adequate nutrition. And i agree bodybuilding has never focused much on % of 1rm and probably doesn’t have to :slight_smile:

I’m Audi.[/quote]

thnks