5x5 For Beginner: Bad Idea?

5x5 is good and should work for beginners. BUT EVERYTHING should work for beginners. Is 5x5 the most optimal approach? Not really especially with 5% increments. Nevertheless it is a good way to start. And I recommend reading through the link that was posted earlier

Alternatively you could get this book

and follow its beginner routine which is 2 different workouts, alternating.

But whatever you do,

1. have good form
  2. increase the poundages like a crazy fellow

and probably a good idea

1. back off a bit every 4th week, just a bit

Also eat lots and good.

[quote]cskolnick wrote:
-Squat 5x4(surprise!)
-Stiff Legges deads 5x5 (to hopefully really activate the Glutes and stretch the hams)
-rows 5x5
-highpulls (more for posture so prolly higher reps)
-general core work
[/quote]

Your using High Pulls for posture? What’s your logic behind that? I’m not saying your wrong for doing that, but I just had no idea High Pulls improve your posture.

5x5 is great for beginners, and don’t forget to isolate!

[quote]Serious Guy wrote:
cskolnick wrote:
-Squat 5x4(surprise!)
-Stiff Legges deads 5x5 (to hopefully really activate the Glutes and stretch the hams)
-rows 5x5
-highpulls (more for posture so prolly higher reps)
-general core work

Your using High Pulls for posture? What’s your logic behind that? I’m not saying your wrong for doing that, but I just had no idea High Pulls improve your posture.[/quote]
yeah, it seems to work. i first read about them in the “Neanderthal no more” article and gave them a shot. For me, my shoulders are pulled/rounded forward a fair bit and doing the high pulls really gets into my traps and rhoms. I feel noticebly better after these. Prior to going to the gym i used to grab DB’s and sit on a chair leaned over and “row” with elbows shoulder level. Always seems to help pull my shoulders back. I could be wrong about this though. If any others have some insight that would be great (so i dont mess myself up more :slight_smile: