Body weight 78-80kg
5 foot 10 inches
19 years old.

Squat.

1.5x40kg (warm up set)
2.5x50kg (warm up set)
3.5x55kg
4.5x60kg
5.5x65kg (was told hips were not going all the way past the knee, did 3 reps with lighter weight to teach myself to man up)

Dead lift

1.5x40kg (warm up set)
2.5x50kg (warm up set)
3.5x60kg
4.5x80kg
5.5x100kg (grip started slipping after 2 reps, had to pause, used alternate grip)(last rep was kinda fast)

Bench Press

1.5x40kg (warm up set)
2.5x50kg (warm up set)
3.5x60kg
4.5x60kg
5.5x60kg
(working sets all were fingertip assisted by partner)

Hyper extensions

1.10x10kg
2.10x20kg
3.10x30kg

How do these numbers look for a first session on the routine?
What would be a realistic 1 month target?
Anyone done the Reg Park 5x5, are straps allowed?

I’m on Reg Parks 5x5.

Your numbers are very low, they will get better. A realistic 1 month target is adding +10-20-30 pounds on all the lifts. Yes that is very vague, but it is the fact.

Expect at least ~10-15 pounds on Bench and Squat a month.

Good start, dont forget weighted abs

[quote]chobbs wrote:
Good start, dont forget weighted abs[/quote]

How many is optimal for weighted sets? I used to do 100 decline situps everyday but I could probably only manage about thirty at once right now, do you just hold a weight plate to make them weighted and how heavy should I go, so I cn only get to 5 reps, or 10 or more?

I honestly have no idea…my template just said 4 weighted situps on monday and 3 regular sets on wednesday…keep us posted on your workouts I’m looking forward to seeing your results

[quote]BonnotGang wrote:

[quote]chobbs wrote:
Good start, dont forget weighted abs[/quote]

How many is optimal for weighted sets? I used to do 100 decline situps everyday but I could probably only manage about thirty at once right now, do you just hold a weight plate to make them weighted and how heavy should I go, so I cn only get to 5 reps, or 10 or more?
[/quote]

3x10, heavy

my legs are ruined from Monday and can’t sit on the toilet properly, my gym partner and coworker was off work, he is saying he can’t walk properly and his back is really fucked, he has agreed to come gym @ 5 in the morning and spot me though, but just me working out tomorrow.

had my gallon of milk and whole chicken, feeling sore but am going to kill this session tomorrow no matter what.

On a side note I am paranoid i have the super resistant form of staph infection mersa, if i do the jiu jitsu gods can go fuck themselves.

Dammit my spotters just rang up to cancel, guess I’m going to be dropping bars all over tommorow

[quote]BonnotGang wrote:
my legs are ruined from Monday and can’t sit on the toilet properly, my gym partner and coworker was off work, he is saying he can’t walk properly and his back is really fucked, he has agreed to come gym @ 5 in the morning and spot me though, but just me working out tomorrow.

had my gallon of milk and whole chicken, feeling sore but am going to kill this session tomorrow no matter what.

On a side note I am paranoid i have the super resistant form of staph infection mersa, if i do the jiu jitsu gods can go fuck themselves.

[/quote]

If you believe you have MSRA, you need to go to a hospital right now.

That first week of squatting 3x is HELL

[quote]Chris87 wrote:

[quote]BonnotGang wrote:

[/quote]

If you believe you have MSRA, you need to go to a hospital right now.[/quote]

x2
MRSA can be transmitted by touching the same objects, so going to the gym is a bad idea, besides it just being really bad for you. You aren’t going to be lifting much if it gets worse.

Learn to love the DOMS :slight_smile:

:edit: Except calf DOMS. Seriously, fuck calf DOMS.

OK good news, my dads cousins wife is a GP, I went round this morning and had her take a look, it is defo not Mersa, she thinks it is a reaction to the tribulus I am taking, said she has seen similar reactions from young men taking it, mine was a free sample tub and I never felt any good things from it so I will throw the rest.

As fir the Gym, I grinded it out, lifted the heaviest I have ever lifted bar the squats and am feeling pretty good right now, if a little fucked.

An old lady was Mirin me doing deadlifts and I am not ashamed to say, I was mirin back, she was a GILF and she inspired me to push those last reps out, just wish I could of pushed them all over her face.

I used straps for the last working deadlifts sets and finally did some weighted decline situps :), here are the numbers for today.

Squat

Smith machine 5x20kg per side
Smith machine 5x25kg per side
(nearly crushed myself under bar after 2 reps, embarassed but psyched up reverted to leg press machine)
5x90(?) leg press
5x90(?) leg press
5x100(?) leg press

Dead lift

5x60kg warm up (no straps)
5x80kg warm up (no straps)
5x100kg reversed grip with straps
5x110kg with straps and reversed grip
2x120kg/1x110kg//2x100kg reversed with straps

Bench Press

5x40kg warm up
5x50kg warm up
5x55kg
5x60kg
5x65kg stranger spotted and assisted reps, still feel good about it and count it as a PB

Hyper extensions
10x10kg
10x20kg straps to keep hold
10x33kg straps to keep hold

weighted decline sit ups

10x10kg
10x20kg
10x20kg
non weighted to failure(about 10)

Could barely walk down the gym stairs and had to hold the rail, the motorbike ride home was interesting, feeling good about the session, despite no spotter, I would of given up after nearly crushing myself awhile back, but I feel really determined to keep going with this and get to where I need to be!

If spotter is back by Friday will not be using the leg press or smith machine, I know its not as good and won’t get it in my head them numbers are my real squat numbers.

Love the straps, feel the dead lift more in my back than arms for once. Will alternate strap and no strap workouts so as not to never develop grip strength.

[quote]Grumpig Hunt wrote:
Learn to love the DOMS :slight_smile:

:edit: Except calf DOMS. Seriously, fuck calf DOMS.[/quote]

I love being able to do the butt clap with my ass cheecks, thats as deep as my love for DOMS goes right now, maybe I will learn to love the pain.

Fucked today, had a spotter who came to spot but did not workout.

Here are the numbers and weights.

SQUAT

5X40KG
5X50KG
5X55KG
5X60KG
5X65KG(TOLD HIPS WERE NOT GOING BELOW KNEES, APPARENTLY AROUND PARALLEL)

DEAD LIFT

5X60KG
5X80KG
5X90KG/STRAPS
5X100KG/STRAPS
5X105KG/STRAPS

BENCH PRESS

5X40KG
5X50KG
5X55KG
5X60KG
5X65KG/GUIDED LAST TWO REPS WITH FINGERTIPS/PERSONAL BEST

HYPER EXTENSIONS
10X34KG
10X34KG
10X34KG

WEIGHTED DECLINE SIT UPS
10X20KG
10X20KG
10X20KG
10 NON WEIGHTED TO EXHAUSTION

I am ruined after these three workouts, no isolation exercise has ever had my whole body trembling like this one, I love it and hope I can smash these numbers on Monday.

If you feel like that, you might want to do one day on and two days off for a while until your recovery improves so you’re not evertraining. Sounds like you’re doing - squats. deads. bench - mon / wed / fri. All 5 x 5 heavy sessions.

Sound like a fuck lot of volumae and I’d never want to do it, all 3 exercises heavy 3 x a week?

Muscle needs around 72 hours to be recovered and you’re whacking them hard every 48.

I only squat and dead once each per week. Dead 5 x 5 and squat 4 x 8. Both make me want to puke on my t-shirt. They are my first and heavy lifts, followed by one compound upper push work, one compound upper pull work, weighted incline alternating crunches and one accessory 3 x 10 - bi curls on sqaut day and calf press on dead day and side lateral raises usually on deads day.

I have two days off after the squat day and 3 days off (2 of them cardio) after the deads session day.

I still feel sore all over my upper body 2 days after the dead session so no way I’m going back in the gym and doing heavy squats bench and row until I feel recovered.

Apparently you grow while you’re NOT in the gym, the gym work is just stimulous and rest and diet fullfil the potential of that stimulous.

Though I do know some 5 x 5 routines have you doing squats 3 x a week. But sounds like you’re squating AND dead’ing on the same days 3 x a week - is that right?

You’d need to be a natural beast or on roids to handle that volume and frequency imo.

Thanks for the advice Leon, I thought about dropping the frequency but I am determined to finish this phase of the 5x5 before moving on to a different program, mainly to gain strength.

I am lagging on the squat because my legs are weak as fuck but I want perfect ass to grass squats to build real explosive power, non of that slightly bending the knees shit I used to do and think I was squatting 150kg lol.

I hit out multiple personal bests today and feel amazing, I got baked out of my mind last night too so I was surprised I got up at 5 and hit the gym, it was some mad indica that melted me into the couch, I thought I was gonna be the first guy to die from weed, my cousin just got out of prison and convinced me that a smoke for old times sake was in order, coughed up after weighted sit ups and dead lifts.

Here are my numbers:

Squats
40KG/50KG/60KG/60KG/2X62kg-3X60KG

Dead lifts
60KG/80KG/100KG/103KG/106KG (working sets with straps)

Bench press
50KG/55KG/60KG/65KG/70KG(fingertip assist)

Back extensions
36KG/36KG/36KG

Weighted sit ups
20KG/20KG/20KG/bodyweight to failure

You’ll gain more strenght doing those lifts less times per week imo.

I just started 17 days ago and my dead 5 x 5 is one warm up of 90kg and 4 working sets of 110kg. Way up from last week, just coz I feel rested and strong instead of still sore and fatigued.

I think you are experiencing CNS fatigue hence the mrsa or flu like symptoms.

Not hating or anything - too much of that goes on here, so much I refer to the site as ‘troll-nation.’

I’, posting in the beginners but I have been training on and ff for years and a good friend is a bodybuilder of ten plus years and a qualified deititian so knows his stuff and says you grow through diet and rest, the workouts only stimulate the potential.

going from being able to bench 60kg for around 3 to four reps before the program to being able to bench 70kg for 5 after a week and one session today is pretty impressive gains man, I am making all kinds a gains.

[quote]BonnotGang wrote:
going from being able to bench 60kg for around 3 to four reps before the program to being able to bench 70kg for 5 after a week and one session today is pretty impressive gains man, I am making all kinds a gains.[/quote]

Yeah, that sounds good. Congrats.