T Nation

5x5 + Conditioning?

Curious if anyone here has experience doing a 5x5** power-lifting split supplemented with conditioning work (sprint work, swimming, and +3 mile running).

What results did you expect? What results did you get?
How quickly did you find you were overtraining?

**I’m also toying with programming heavy 3x5 and heavier 2x3

For those interested in more specifics:

• I was planning on breaking up my training into
    – Squat
    – Deadlift
    – Bench + Pull Up + Aesthetics stuff (I’m vain. Sue me.)
    – OHP + Bent Row + Aesthetics (see above)
    – Days that I don’t lift I’d alternate with some combination of running, swimming, wrestling, or running

You say the 5x5 powerlifting program, but 5x5s aren’t powerlifting programs. Is your goal to actually compete in powerlifting?

That’s a fair point, I guess.

The people who I’ve trained around for most of my time lifting preached 5x5 and would say that they’re powerlifters when asked about their training, so, you know if “a = b and b = c”…

I guess the training isn’t powerlifting-specific, but still. Any answers to the questions?

Just tossing this in the mix:

2x3 is a bit backward. When you reduce reps, increase sets. You need to do the work. Think more along the lines of 5x5 = 25 total reps, try aiming more for 6 to 8 sets of 3.

Thank me later.

[quote]NewSamson wrote:
That’s a fair point, I guess.

The people who I’ve trained around for most of my time lifting preached 5x5 and would say that they’re powerlifters when asked about their training, so, you know if “a = b and b = c”…

I guess the training isn’t powerlifting-specific, but still. Any answers to the questions?[/quote]

Well, again, their training wouldn’t really be the determining factor: it would be a question of if they compete in powerlifting. I have a feeling they most likely don’t, which isn’t a problem, it just changes things.

If you’re adamant about doing a 5x5 program for whatever reason, I don’t see why you would be overtraining to also do conditioning work. It’s something you SHOULD be doing to become a better lifter. I’ve run low rep/low volume programs like that before while engaging in regular physical activity with no signs of overtraining. It’s pretty hard to accomplish.

I would however recommend you consider some sort of training with a logical progression scheme and a variety of rep ranges, especially since you’ve voiced a design to improve your physique along with your strength. Something like 5/3/1, Westside Barbell for Skinny Bastards, the Cube Method, etc. Conditioning fits in incredibly well with such approaches.

I’ve basically been doing this split over 5 days a week for the past year. One difference is that I’ve moved away from 5x5 and onto a more complex “mesocyclone” designed around 16-week powerlifting cycles.

My usual week is:
Monday: Deadlift and accessories (rack pulls, stiff legs, ab work, etc.)
Tuesday: Bench press and accessories (incline db press, flyes, try work, pullups etc.)
Wednesday: Squat and accessories (usually not much, ab work, calves, leg press and curls, etc.)
Thursday: OHP and Pendlay rows and accessories (pullups, curls, cable rows etc.)
Friday: Sprints or Spin bike intervals

In the summer I bike to work so I’m also doing an hour of moderate cardio 5x/wk. In winter I add a cardio day on the weekend and one or two after work during the week.

The reason I do it like this is because I work out over my lunch break so I only have about 50 minutes a day, and I can get 3 mins rest between sets of the main lift, of which I usually do about 5. So I really only have time for one main lift a day instead of dead/bp/squat and press/squat/row like in 5x5. Also after a few years training I was stalling out with 5x5.

Over the last year I’ve taken my lifts up about 20% across the board and gained about 10 pounds of muscle.
Depending on the week I feeel like this is a sustainable routine but if I don’t get enough sleep it can start to take its toll, I’ll take a week off here and there if it gets too rough. I’m 33 with 2 year old twin girls so I’m not a spring chicken anymore, hah.

Anyways hope my story helps, this is my first post although I’ve been a lurker for a while.