T Nation

5x5 Bill Star Assistance Help

Hi.
I use Texas method, but I would like to change with with 5x5 Bill Star training
My concern are assistance exercises. I would like to switch assistance exercises that he suggest with other:

Ab-wheel roll-out (monday, friday): 3x5
Weighted hypers (monday): 2x10
stomach vacuum (monday, wednesday, friday): 3x10 (5-6 seconds hold per rep)
L chin-ups (wednesday): 3 or 5 (?) sets x 8 rep

thats all.

What do you think?
Also, I would like to develop my crushing grip? Till now I trained it with gripper-rubber - 5 sets, 15+ reps, on wednesday.

181cm, 97kg, SQ-140x5, BP-100x5, DL-150x5 on Texas method.

I’ve been doing the Bill Starr advanced program for a couple of cycles and do my own assistance stuff. I don’t like hypers or have the set up for it so I pretty much just do RDLs and sometimes good mornings. I hate sit ups.

For core stuff, I do whatever I’m in the mood to do on that day. Sometimes it’s fall outs, sometimes HLR, bar roll outs, db side bends etc.

If you’re hitting what is meant with the assistance you should be fine.

Madcow’s assistance
Monday: abs and back extensions
Wednesday: "
Friday: 3x8 of dips, curls, skullcrushers…suns out guns out

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:
I’ve been doing the Bill Starr advanced program for a couple of cycles and do my own assistance stuff. [/quote]

I just happened to have watched your PR deadlift and front squat in the PR thread (congratulations), and after reading this I’m curious about how/when you personally work in 1-rep max PRs. Do you do attempt a 1rm at the end of week 9 instead of doing the prescribed 3rm PR, or do you do it after week 9. Also, are you doing front squats as the main Monday/Friday lift, or are you doing them Wednesdays before deadlift? Just curious.