T Nation

5x5 BBB Question

I just have an idea I want to bounce off of people before I decide whether or not I do it:

I have been using 5/3/1 for a little while now and will be doing my 5th cycle in Nov, but I am going to be redoing my last cycle since I am going to be going on exercise until then and I have been using the 5x5 variation of BBB. I know that the usual stand point is to do the program as written but I remember reading in The Texas Method and how it used 5x5 as the stress to spur progress in its program, and how to manipulate it to continue to do so including increasing and decreasing the weight accordingly; so would it go against 5/3/1 if I were to drop the percentage to 70% or should I just continue to use 80% when I get back

I am new to lifting and have only been doing it seriously for a year and a half now so if an explanation could accompany any answer for my personal knowledge it would be tremendously appreciated

Thank you for any responses in advance

Here is how I did it. I ran the bbb challenge for the 3 ucycles as recommended. Then I moved on to 5x5@80%. I found that building a solid base from 50-70% made the 5x5 more effective. Honestly, the hardest part of the 16 weeks was the 70% period but I feel like that really helped me build mass and mental fortitude to break some plateaus.

Thanks I will go with your suggestion and do the BBB challenge when I get back

I agree with Sherman that the 5x10 sets of BBB really build a strong foundation. Regardless of experience, the lighter percentages give you a great opportunity to address any issues with technique in the main lifts. For new lifters, BBB assistance work is invaluable.

This is my first post; I joined specifically for this 5/3/1 forum. I hope we can all benefit from having a central 5/3/1 community.

[quote]SteelMillPL wrote:
I agree with Sherman that the 5x10 sets of BBB really build a strong foundation. Regardless of experience, the lighter percentages give you a great opportunity to address any issues with technique in the main lifts. For new lifters, BBB assistance work is invaluable.

This is my first post; I joined specifically for this 5/3/1 forum. I hope we can all benefit from having a central 5/3/1 community.[/quote]

Yes I am looking forward to seeing how this forum grows and can hopefully learn from everyone’s thoughts and experience