5x5 Back and Front Squat on Same Day?

This is personal experience but i used to do 5x5 on the back squat then right after with the same weight do 5x5 on the front squat

I was getting very strong very fast doing that then i just stopped and it’s never been the same. Also doing 50 reps every workout should be too much.

But i don’t understand if this is more bodybuilding style than strength.

Okay, so… I don’t really understand your question.

If you used to do it, and you got very strong, and then you stopped, and “it’s never been the same”, wouldn’t that tell you something about how you respond to this kind of training?

50 reps of squats isn’t necessarily “too much”, depending on who’s doing them and how it’s broken down. 5x5 is different than 12x2 or 2x15. It obviously wasn’t “too much” for you at the time. It might not be recommended for many people, but you did it and you survived. I’ve done front squats and back squats in the same session. It’s not unheard of, it’s just a matter of being physically conditioned to handle it.

I’d only suggest that it’d be more efficient doing the front squats before the back squats. Because of changes in leverage and a few other factors, most people should be able to use more weight (or the same weight for more reps) with back squats vs front.

I used to do a similar workout, but with the front squats first, as they really targeted my quads more than back squats. I would do sets of about 6-10 for the front squats, but then push for ~15+ on the backs. Lotsa pain, but damn if I didn’t see some progress from a very limited (in terms of variety), but intense approach.

S

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:
Okay, so… I don’t really understand your question.

If you used to do it, and you got very strong, and then you stopped, and “it’s never been the same”, wouldn’t that tell you something about how you respond to this kind of training?
[/quote]

But…but…

It is not written in SS/SL/Sheiko/531/Cube/FlavorOfTheMonth !!!
ok, jokes aside, his routine is petty similar to BBB from 531.

And yeah, just as Chris is trying to eloquently point out for you, if it is working ROLL WITH IT.