5x5, 10x3 ?

as of late i have been messing around with my set/rep schemes and switching it up after every 3rd 4th or 5th time i work a muscle group, with careful attention to calculating and ensuring that my total work performed progresses with each workout (not always possible)…

heres my question:

right now im doing 5x5, but i was wondering, say my chest workout includes:
flat bench press,
incline dumbell press,
pec deck,
and 2 forms of cable pulleys- one geared toward lower chest, one geared toward upper chest

should i do 5x5 on each exercise? or 5x5 on the flat and incline, then maybe 3x8 on the other more “supplementary” exercises…people at my colleges gym have been telling me different things, so i figured id ask those who know more about it

also i was wondering about 10x3 and if its beneficial for a skinny guy like myself and how i would incorporate it into my workout

please respond

The answer Yes and NO.

You have to try them and see what works.

I know trying to do 5x5 of 10 x 3 for all that would be over kill and take forever. Hit the main moves hard then the smaller isolation stuff get a set or two in if needed and call it a day.

Yes 10 x 3 can work for you as well. Its a viable OPTION for anyone to use allowing higher load but still the volume in the long run. Argueably better for a more advance trainee but yes try it.

Hit the compound work heavy and go lighter on the isolation work. At least this is how I would do it

Dude, incline benching and wide-grip to the neck benching, flyes and dips are better chest builders than the usual flat bench btw. That’s if you’re just looking for a little bit of size in the chest.

thanks guys for the advice

i usually touch the bar to my lower chest when benching, i didnt know you were supposed to touch the neck

[quote]bigmike88 wrote:

thanks guys for the advice

i usually touch the bar to my lower chest when benching, i didnt know you were supposed to touch the neck[/quote]

well its very bad on your shoulders I would if you are going to do it use a LOT less weight. IMO its not worth the risk. There are safer and better way to build a chest like benching proper and using a good load.