5's Progression

[quote]Ayliffe wrote:

[quote]tokon wrote:
actually, I’m not asking a specific question.

it’s more a statement about how i find 5sPRO, and inviting input from others who might use it.

however, as you’re “not sure” let me recap.

i program using a 85%TM so last set of third week is 5reps x95% of TM.

I try to use the 5/3 system Jim recommends for resets. however I am finding that I cannot increase my TM 5 times (i.e. equivalent to adding 25lbs/50lbs respectively to upper/lower TMs) and still get 5 reps on the last set of week 3.

HOW DO OTHERS FIND 5S PRO? [/quote]

Solutions:

Use a lower TM from the start (80% perhaps)
Use a 4/2 reset instead of 5/3
Train smarter
Train better
Eat more
Eat better
Sleep more
Sleep better
Any combination of the above as it fits

I worked a heavy labour job in a freezer and still managed to set PR’s at lighter bodyweights using the Lifer system after 6 cycles of no reset. It works if you are honest with yourself and your application/dedication. [/quote]

Thanks for the input, much appreciated.

Has anyone tried 5 pro’s full body? currently running 5/3/1 rep pr’s on all weeks. but wondering if 5 pros with FSL would be better?
( No FSL on squats as performed 3x per week already)

[quote]tokon wrote:
Thanks. I’m not sure what the problem is either! It’s primarily the Press I am stalling out on. After 4 cycles I only hit 4 reps last set of third week. I put it down to just an “off” day but did not increase TM for Press next cycle. However next time through, same weight same reps![/quote]

Press is going to stall out more often than the other lifts. Try smaller increments.

Alternatively, this is the approach I have been taking, I seem to struggle at cycle 5/6. So I planned for it:

Cycle 1 - 4: 5 pros
Cycle 5 & 6: 5/3/1

At cycle 4, the weights usually start getting really tough, so I move to the usual 5/3/1 reps and I can continue.

When cycle 6 is done, return to cycle 1 using the weight from cycle 3 or 4.