T Nation

5's Pro... Original 5/3/1

Jim I was wondering if you are using the 5's Pro as the main lift more often than the original 5/3/1.
Also any harm in running the 5's Pro for 3 or 4 cycles the. Switching to the original 5/3/1 and trying to set new PR's?

[quote]JB700 wrote:
Jim I was wondering if you are using the 5’s Pro as the main lift more often than the original 5/3/1.
Also any harm in running the 5’s Pro for 3 or 4 cycles the. Switching to the original 5/3/1 and trying to set new PR’s?[/quote]

Anyone I work with remotely gets 5 Pro - 100-% of the time they have over reached and need to be saved from themselves. As for people I work with personally - they are almost all kids and only push their PR sets occasionally (but we have challenges every day of some sort). So we get the mental work but in different forms. Myself - I have run 5 Pro before and only do it when I need to settle back in (after and injury for example). Personally I only do the original program “as is” because it is the hardest and most effective program. I realize now that most people don’t like the pressure of PR’s - they burn out mentally well before physically.
X
The only negative thing I can see from your proposal is training your effort. Consistently busting your ass is a learned habit. I’m not sure that makes sense but I’ve seen it happen. Overall your plan is solid though. I wrote a new SVR proposal that may fit you better.

Thanks for the response. You mentioned how people mentally can burn out from the pressure of going for PR’s in the original program. I’ve definitely found myself in that position and I’ve also noticed it does help me to have time away from trying to set PR’s every week. Still I always come back to the original program because nothing is better than setting a new pr

[quote]JB700 wrote:
Thanks for the response. You mentioned how people mentally can burn out from the pressure of going for PR’s in the original program. I’ve definitely found myself in that position and I’ve also noticed it does help me to have time away from trying to set PR’s every week. Still I always come back to the original program because nothing is better than setting a new pr[/quote]

Keep at it. I call it Training your Effort and it can help carryover to other areas of your life. Obviously not everyone sees it that way or can have the same effect - but it has for me. The way I look at it is if I can’t handle the “pressure” of breaking a PR, how can I expect to handle life? But like I said, it’s not for everyone and I understand that.

“Training your effort”

Brilliant Jim! Three little words that makes me look forward to lifting tomorrow. A great little phrase to make your brain shut up when it’s telling you to quit but your body has some fuel left in the tank to smash a new PR!

Well said Jim. I learned from you years ago that a persons principles and the way they approach training carries over into life and it’s certainly something I needed a good reminder of.

This is quite interesting Jim as I never experienced that myself. Don’t get me wrong, I love setting PRs, but never felt dejected or a lack of motivation when I didn’t. Perhaps I don’t take that part of the program seriously enough, or rather literally enough, but after years and years of Training I’ve come to view it as a marathon, not a sprint. I simply remind myself the PRs come with consistency and dedication, both inside and outside the gym, and drive on.

[quote]Saeufer wrote:

This is quite interesting Jim as I never experienced that myself. Don’t get me wrong, I love setting PRs, but never felt dejected or a lack of motivation when I didn’t. Perhaps I don’t take that part of the program seriously enough, or rather literally enough, but after years and years of Training I’ve come to view it as a marathon, not a sprint. I simply remind myself the PRs come with consistency and dedication, both inside and outside the gym, and drive on.
[/quote]

Then you get it! You found YOUR way. That’s the whole point and part of the bigger picture. That’s why I said that I know it’s not for everyone. And why I have try to find other ways of programming to accommodate others. But I cant ignore or not recommend what has been so important to me.