T Nation

5's PRO + FSL -> Pressing volume

Hi,

I have started the 5's pro + supersetted FSL base cycle like you adviced. Supersetting sucks, but I have done my workout under 60 minutes (mobility + speed work included).

In the thread you mentioned 5's Pro with 25-40 reps of FSL. My question is: Can I add the volume in pressing-movements (starting from 5x6 and going from there)?

The 5x5 is definitely enough for DL/squat, but since the weights are so low I feel I could do much more for the upper body.

I have just done my first week, so I'm not jumping to anything yet. Just thinking that for future (or in next cycle) I could do this. The idea is build some muscle and work capacity after all?

[quote]Rattus wrote:
Hi,

I have started the 5’s pro + supersetted FSL base cycle like you adviced. Supersetting sucks, but I have done my workout under 60 minutes (mobility + speed work included).

In the thread you mentioned 5’s Pro with 25-40 reps of FSL. My question is: Can I add the volume in pressing-movements (starting from 5x6 and going from there)?

The 5x5 is definitely enough for DL/squat, but since the weights are so low I feel I could do much more for the upper body.

I have just done my first week, so I’m not jumping to anything yet. Just thinking that for future (or in next cycle) I could do this. The idea is build some muscle and work capacity after all?[/quote]

Yeah - maybe. You have to understand that we have “New to 5/3/1 programs.” Until they are 100% mastered, you don’t get to move on. This usually takes 12 weeks. There are much better way to build capacity that actually work - doing a couple more sets of presses ain’t gonna cut it. Look up the WaLRUS training protocol on the forum. By far, the best thing to do to get in shape, build “work capacity” (still don’t know what the fuck that is) and get strong.

The bottom line is this - if you can’t do some of the basic shit, a few more sets of whatever won’t matter.

Thank you for the reply. So it does not really matter, luckily I feel that I can “perform basic shit” quite well already (but not necessarily good enough for the standards of 5/3/1).

Right now my conditioning seems to be the toughest part in doing the supersetted FSL, but I’m sure this will be on the level soon. I have the experience that I’m pretty good at developing conditioning, but getting muscle/strength is much harder for me.

I could not find the WalRUS-protocol, is it in your forum? I think all this becomes clearer by your new book.

PS. I have understood that work capacity means basically how much volume you can handle. But I don’t know. English is not even my first language, it is just a word I have found people using.