5's PRO + FSL 5x5

Jim, I was thinking of doing a basic setup of 5’s PRO with FSL (5X5) with assistance like this:

Monday
Squat - 5’s PRO, FSL 5X5
Assistance - Abs - 100 reps, Back raise - 50 reps

Tuesday
Press - 5’s PRO, FSL 5X5 (main work SS with chins)
Assistance - Rows - 50 reps, Dips - 50 reps, Curls - 50 reps

Thursday
Deadlift - 5’s PRO, FSL 5X5
Assistance - Abs - 100 reps, Back raise - 50 reps

Friday
Bench - 5’s PRO, FSL 5X5 (main work SS with chins)
Assistance - Rows - 50 reps, Dips, 50 reps, Curls - 50 reps

I will be doing 3X5 of jumps before my workouts along with 10 mins of airdyne and agile 8 and simple 6, and my off days I will be riding the airdyne for 30 mins plus agile 8 and simple 6.

Is there anything you would change with this setup such as assistance exercises or number of reps per exercise? Thanks for any input

1 Like

Bumped this for Jim to take a look at

Monday

Squat - 5’s PRO, FSL 5X5

Assistance - Abs - 50-100 reps, Chins - 50-100, DB Bench - 50-100

Tuesday

Press - 5’s PRO, FSL 5X5 (main work SS with 50-100 rows)
Assistance - One leg Squat - 50-100, Dips - 50-100 reps, Curls - 50-100 reps

Thursday

Deadlift - 5’s PRO, FSL 5X5

Assistance - Back raise - 50-100 reps, DB Incline - 50-100 reps, Chins - 50-100 reps

Friday

Bench - 5’s PRO, FSL 5X5 (main work SS with 50-100 rows and face pulls (total for both))

Assistance - KB Snatch - 50-100 reps, Weighted Push-ups - 50-100 reps

Other than those changes (above) you got it down.

3 Likes

Thanks Jim, and thank you for all the free info, templates, and all the questions you answer. Your work is much appreciated man.

If one wanted to do rep PRs with this template (and keep supplemental work at FSL 5x5) what if anything would you change w/ assistance work?

If you wanted to rep work with this template:

First 3 cycles - the above template
The final 2 cycles - do rep PR’s on 3 and 1 week (using 351)
Reset

Thus 5 forward/3 back and a great way to periodize your training.

Copy that. Thank you!

Jim, I am 47 years old, I am currently doing the 2x2x2 template. Do you recommend the template you set up here for an older lifter or can I use the same format for 2x2x2.

Jim, in the final 2 cycles you recommend here, would you set up the assistance work the same as in the first 3? and what about the FSL work after the PR sets, do you recommend any and if so 3x5?

Also, would it be okay to do 3 cycles of BBB, then 2 cycles of rep PR with 3x5 FSL and the described asisstance?

Thanks

Yes, you can do this template. There are numerous templates and “5 cycle” programs for 2 day/lifters and older lifters. Just have to do what can and what you want.

1. For this example, yes the assistance is the same. It ALL depends on the template/cycle.

2. The FSL stuff is the same but if you want to do 3x5, go ahead.

3. Yes, that is fine provided you do the correct assistance work (see my forum) and it’s done after a reset. This is very easy to use now that the jumps/throws, main lift, supplemental and assistance (and conditioning) is all streamlined and all you have to do is plug the shit in and do it. Once the new book is out, it will be easy to program and the principles will carry over to EVERY single program that isn’t total shit (random bullshit programs). Hell the RECOVERY work is programmed so if you are sore, you deserve it.

All you got to do is the work and any moron can have 100% discipline. I’m so damn excited to get this shit out!

1 Like

and i’m so excited to finally get and read that new book!

i did the 3 cycles of BBB after my reset! Thus the 2 cycles of PR work + FSL 5x5 + the assistance work described above by you would be the the last 2 cycles before my next reset.

I always do either 3x5 jumps or throws after my warmup/agile8/mobility work, for conditioning i do 20 to 30 mins of incline walking on upper and 6-8 x 90 lbs 40 yard prowler walks on lower days.

In the last 2 cycles, since i will be pushing the Squat/deadlift on the PR sets, should i dial back the prowler work compared to a regular base work phase, i.e. 10x40 yards 90 lbs on “upper”, 2x90 lbs + 4x 185 lbs (instead of 275, which i did when i didn’t push for PRs) for 40 yards on “lower body” days?

Jim, is there a release date for the new book yet?

Can this template be done with FSL for opposite lifts e.g., squat 5’s pro + deadlift fsl 5x5?