T Nation

5lbs of Protein = 5lbs of Muscle

Since a tub of protein is 5lbs then if your body were to miraculously use ALL of the protein and aminos in the tub is the most you could gain over the course of time it takes for you to consume the tube going to be 5 lbs?

Can we clarify the question with this: could you only gain 5 lbs of Muscle? I think you could gain more weight, with fat/water/glycogen/whatever. Going along with the silliness, that is.

I would say that is a pretty safe upper bound, if no other protein was consumed.

There would be other fluid and what not so I’d say conservatively maybe 15-20 lbs. But it would have to be really good. Like 10x better.

No science behind this statement what so ever.

I thought you gained the amount of muscle the label says you are going to gain.

Ya know, muscle milk is not actually drinking new muscle. It may be misleading marketing

Thanks for the repsonses.

I felt weird when the idea came up in my head…like when I saw the headline that the oldest Holocaust survivor had died and it took me a minute to understand that that doesn’t mean all the Holocaust survivors are dead.

As others have said, there’s going to be other stuff in the muscle, so theoretically more than 5 lb.

I couldn’t find the nutrition panel for human, but it looks like all the commonly eaten meats are 22-25% protein, so I’d say SkyzykS’s guess might be rather accurate. Assuming you use all of it and you also get enough lipids, water and everything else present in skeletal muscle.

If you pray the gay away and continue to pray, will your heterosexuality sway?
When praying two-hundred percent with true repent, will your lust get a fabulous dent?
Will begging to be straight without ever stopping to prate, bring down the lord’s hate and make you lust for jail bait?

Who knows…

[quote]Nards wrote:
Since a tub of protein is 5lbs then if your body were to miraculously use ALL of the protein and aminos in the tub is the most you could gain over the course of time it takes for you to consume the tube going to be 5 lbs?[/quote]

It seems pretty legit to me.

[quote]drewc64 wrote:
Ya know, muscle milk is not actually drinking new muscle. It may be misleading marketing[/quote]
what do the cows that they get muscle milk from look like?

There is like 100 grams of protein in a pound of muscle. 5 pounds of protein is like 2300 grams. So 5 pounds of protein is enough to build like 20-25 pounds of muscle.

For yet another take on the question, I don’t think 5 lbs of protein powder builds any muscle.

[quote]Nards wrote:
I felt weird when the idea came up in my head…like when I saw the headline that the oldest Holocaust survivor had died and it took me a minute to understand that that doesn’t mean all the Holocaust survivors are dead.[/quote]

LOL! The same thought popped into my head. What are they going to say if she’s outlived by another Holocaust survivor?

It’s like on the news when they say the world’s oldest man is in Japan but I swear a few years ago they said the world’s oldest man was in Germany and a few years before that they said he was in Argentina.

Shit that guy gets around! That must be the secret to longevity: travel.