T Nation

590lb Deadlift for 5 Reps @205

I know there is a PR thread, it dies a lot, and I’m just proud of this

For reference, this was my first ever 585lb pull in Sep of 2011

I am going to start my next ROM progression cycle with 600lbs and see if I can match the reps done here. If I do, that would be my best 1rm performed for reps.

I like how you were determined to get that 5th rep. Great job man. Wasn’t your last meet pull about 600?

[quote]MightyMouse17 wrote:
I like how you were determined to get that 5th rep. Great job man. Wasn’t your last meet pull about 600?

[/quote]

Haha, good memory. Yeah, pulled 600 at my last meet and gave it WAY too much energy. Had nothing left in the tank for a third attempt. Really looking forward to being able to hit it for reps.

Thanks for the comments.

Strong and good willpower. But why do TNG reps, it makes it really hard to keep a reference.

Care to elaborate on your ROM progression cycle?

[quote]ahnz wrote:
Strong and good willpower. But why do TNG reps, it makes it really hard to keep a reference.[/quote]

Thanks man. For the touch and go reps, All Things Gym actually featured a mini-article I wrote on the topic.

In terms of keeping a reference, I don’t find much difficulty, mainly because I ALWAYS pull touch and go. In a meet, I don’t pull multiple reps, so dead stop doesn’t benefit me any more than touch and go at that point.

When I compete, I only ever plan out my opener and pick my other attempts based on how that went. With a set like this, I know I can pull 590 off the floor, so it can become my opener.

[quote]cparker wrote:
Care to elaborate on your ROM progression cycle?[/quote]

I actually wrote up a topic about it a while back when I started at 495.

Patio pavers are an amazing secret weapon, haha.

I think next time you should just pick up your car instead.

[quote]frankjl wrote:
I think next time you should just pick up your car instead.[/quote]

Maybe I will start up a kickstarter to get me the car deadlift rig, haha.

Strong numbers. Do you always train DL’s with straps? just curious.

solid!

Good stuff; looked pretty brutal.

[quote]Re.po wrote:
Strong numbers. Do you always train DL’s with straps? just curious. [/quote]

Yup, along with a lot of my upper body pulling. I like being able to pull double overhand with all my training sets.

Double overhand, no thumbs!

[quote]kpsnap wrote:
Double overhand, no thumbs!

[/quote]

Yes, but with straps. I actually find that thumbs get in the way with straps.