T Nation

59, 1st Meet Programing Questions

I’ve bought & read 5/3/1 and Beyond 5/3/1. I’m currently doing template #3 of the beyond 5/3/1 base program (4 days: Squat/Bench D1 & D3 - Deadlift/OHP D2 & D4 w/joker sets and down sets). Have done this program for just over 3 months.

I’m trying my first powerlifting meet Mar 29. I’ll be 59 by then. Only been lifting 2 years but think this would be fun and help give me some focus beyond just trying to get strong as I age.

Three questions for you. 1. Should I buy and try 5/3/1 for Powerlifting - looks like he has a section for older lifters as well as how to prepare for your 1st meet. 2. Should I start the “Strength Phase Challenge 12 week program” instead which is described as a varition of 5/3/1 for PL? 3. Stick with what I’m doing now?

Thanks.

its your first meet, just continue what you are doing. dont worry about what your weight class will be either. just show up, get some numbers on the board and then plan for the next meet.

That seems to be good advice! It’s only been 2 months after all and there’s enough variation possible with this program that I haven’t fully taken advantage of, so that’s probably the way I’ll go.

Much Props at 59 bro -
I am almost 46 but been doing 5-3-1 since 2007 (I think - maybe '08) Good advice here re: not changing just prior to comp. Also, the “Beyond” ebook is the real deal. I have them all and have read them all. Though I would still encourage you to buy 5/3/1 PL as there are some very useful tools. FYI: As I have gotten a little older these “adjustments” have helped me IMMENSELY:

1. Shedding the idea that my training week is 1 week i.e. 7 days. My training “week” is now 10 days and that is how I roll period. Plenty of time to recover. Also no need for a de-load so technically i am still on a 30 day month.

2. If I am recovering quickly for some reason I add conditioning and rarely add more 5-3-1 days per 10 day week - I alternate between a. running a steep hill 10-20 times, b. sled, c. walking my dogs with 50-100 lb. sandbags in a backpack.

3. The 3 extra days allows for schedule fluctuations, fatigue, joint recovery, etc.

4. Learned the difference between a “rep max” and “max reps.”

5. My 5’s week is the day I kill the reps. 3’s week is usually 6-10 and “531” i go for singles.

Just keep the basics of the program - peaking for a meet is highly overrated. And don’t cut weight - one of the three rules in my weight room is “No Weight Cutting”. Cutting weight for a PL meet means you are a martyr.

[quote]Jim Wendler wrote:
Just keep the basics of the program - peaking for a meet is highly overrated. And don’t cut weight - one of the three rules in my weight room is “No Weight Cutting”. Cutting weight for a PL meet means you are a martyr. [/quote]

I AGREE 100%. I have never cut weight for a meet or changed my training. I have set PR’s in every meet doing this. I might throw in some pause singles on the bench, but that’s it. You’re gonna lift whatever it is you’re gonna lift. Just be healthy going in w/ a full stomach :wink: