5'9, 190lb Powerlifter Cutting Down for Meet

Good shit man, 50lb PR is nothing to scoff at, do that again and you’re almost breaking 1500 total. All with abs on display.

Thanks man. I am planning on killing the abs off in a little bit to build up to 220ish. I might try to keep the top two visible.

Good shit in here! Look great and strong as an ox! Nice!

Thanks man. I just need to break free from being under 200lbs so I can be a man again.

looking good dude, 6.5 seems really low to me

[quote]browndisaster wrote:
looking good dude, 6.5 seems really low to me[/quote]

Appreciate it dude. That said, for being a powerlifter, I’ll take it, haha.

Seriously. A BMI of 28+ with abs showing is good flipping work, and it looks like OP is more aesthetic with his proportions than many other lifters, bb or pl.

[quote]VTPower wrote:

Seriously. A BMI of 28+ with abs showing is good flipping work, and it looks like OP is more aesthetic with his proportions than many other lifters, bb or pl.[/quote]

It’s definitely by accident, although I think big backs look great on anyone, haha.

Pretty sick physique and strong as fuck. Did you train like a power lifter in your earlier years?

I didn’t rate you, but ratings on this forum are fucked up. If some skinny fat chick posts a pic, every loser on the itnerwebz fawns over her and gives her a 10.

Nah, like I wrote earlier in the topic, I did the “bro” thing from high school until about my junior year of college, and then finally started training for strength, the whole time balancing martial arts training. I eventually hung up my gloves at age 22 and focused on strength full time, and started powerlifting at age 25.

Look great.

Were those side spotters actually holding the DL bar in place for you? Wow. What fed offers that kind of service?

Yeah, the damn thing kept rolling for some reason. Everytime they would set it, the left side would drift.

It was a NASA meet. Real great group up here.

Appreciate the input.

Up to 205. Taking new pics in a week or 2, but until then I got some more videos.

40 rep squats w/225

And 575lb deadlifts for 6 reps

Also an instructional video on how I deadlift

Nice man

Nice work on the cut and solid lifts. I respect you for not knowing how to fucking pose.

I’m planning on bulking for a few more years and competing in powerlifting at some point. What are some of the finer points of maintaining strength while cutting? I saw that you deadlift with 15-20 rep sets. Do you think that helped maintain strength? Are there other techniques you use that you believe helped maintain strength on the cut? How long of a cut was it?

[quote]Facepalm_Death wrote:
Nice work on the cut and solid lifts. I respect you for not knowing how to fucking pose.

I’m planning on bulking for a few more years and competing in powerlifting at some point. What are some of the finer points of maintaining strength while cutting? I saw that you deadlift with 15-20 rep sets. Do you think that helped maintain strength? Are there other techniques you use that you believe helped maintain strength on the cut? How long of a cut was it?[/quote]

Thanks for the comments man.

I would start competing in powerlifting ASAP honestly. The more competition experience you get, the better, and a meet will really motivate your training.

For maintaining strength on the cut, for me it was about volume manipulation. As I got closer to the meet, I cut down on assistance work/conditioning and focused more on my heavy sets.

For deads, these days I use ROM progression. I start at 10ish reps and work my way down to the floor. I tend to lose a few reps on the journey, and tomorrow I’m projected to pull 590 for 5-6 reps off the floor. I don’t do that to maintain strength though, I use it to BUILD strength, and in fact, while I was cutting weight I was still getting stronger the whole time. I see no need to not get stronger while you are losing weight.

I cut weight from about September to December. I’m up to a softer 205ish these days now, but my strength is way up as a result, so it’s nice.

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:

I’m planning on bulking for a few more years and competing in powerlifting at some point. What are some of the finer points of maintaining strength while cutting? I saw that you deadlift with 15-20 rep sets. Do you think that helped maintain strength? Are there other techniques you use that you believe helped maintain strength on the cut? How long of a cut was it?[/quote]

I would start competing in powerlifting ASAP honestly. The more competition experience you get, the better, and a meet will really motivate your training.

For maintaining strength on the cut, for me it was about volume manipulation. As I got closer to the meet, I cut down on assistance work/conditioning and focused more on my heavy sets.

For deads, these days I use ROM progression. I start at 10ish reps and work my way down to the floor. I tend to lose a few reps on the journey, and tomorrow I’m projected to pull 590 for 5-6 reps off the floor. I don’t do that to maintain strength though, I use it to BUILD strength, and in fact, while I was cutting weight I was still getting stronger the whole time. I see no need to not get stronger while you are losing weight.

I cut weight from about September to December. I’m up to a softer 205ish these days now, but my strength is way up as a result, so it’s nice.[/quote]

Interesting… I guess I mistakenly chalked it up as a physiological impossibility to gain strength and lose fat. Good to know though

I’d like to do PLing asap but my access to equipment is limited right now. No power rack, so no squats; I replaced squat day with a snatchgrip deficit deadlift day and its not the same, only temporary though. I’m looking into meets in my area next year

Anyway excellent work, enjoy your bulk into the next weight class

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:

I cut weight from about September to December. I’m up to a softer 205ish these days now, but my strength is way up as a result, so it’s nice.[/quote]

Interesting… I guess I mistakenly chalked it up as a physiological impossibility to gain strength and lose fat. Good to know though

I’d like to do PLing asap but my access to equipment is limited right now. No power rack, so no squats; I replaced squat day with a snatchgrip deficit deadlift day and its not the same, only temporary though. I’m looking into meets in my area next year

Anyway excellent work, enjoy your bulk into the next weight class[/quote]

See if there are any push/pull meets. With your deadlifting, it should be a boon.

And yeah, most people pair “strength” with muscle, and think that because you can’t gain muscle, you can’t gain strength. I definitely didn’t put on muscle while I was losing weight, but I still managed to get stronger. Pavel Tsastouline (among other authors), talked about practicing strength as a skill. You just have to get better at being stronger, haha.

Got another deadlift video. 590 for 5 ugly reps.

Huge deadlift man! You must have an amazing wrap technique to go with an overhand grip with thumbs over @ 590 lbs. Never seen that before.