5'9, 190lb Powerlifter Cutting Down for Meet

Been browsing T-Nation for years, I remember when it had a rep for being incredibly harsh for RMP. Thought I would post these up now as I’m getting closer to a meet. I started cutting down from 202lbs, and this is where I am going to hold. Have a meet in a week, and after that I am going to balloon up.

Sorry if I don’t have all the poses. I have no idea how to fucking pose.

Left side shot

Right side shot

First of two back shots. Feel like one shows the lats better and the other shows overall thickness

Back shot two

Legs.

I realize there is no calf shot. Assume my calves are tiny, because they are.

Shoulders and back width look great, lats are very visible from the front too. Looking solid.

Thick and lean, good work. Especially considering you aren’t a “body builder”

Provided you are strong in your sport, you have a great blend of size, leanness, and strength. Especially so if you are natural.

Are you done cutting, or is there a little more to go?

Thank you. I am natural, and have been for all of my training.

This is as low as I intend to go. The day of weigh in, I will cut 9lbs of water to make 181s, and this will be my last meet at that class.

My best gym lifts for this cycle are

495lb Anderson squat
335lb comp legal bench, 355 touch and go
600lb deadlift

My intended third attempts are a 524 squat, 342 bench and 625 dead. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Thats awesome man, you are in an elite class of lifter in that case. Strong as shit, muscular, and lean to boot. I am just getting into power lifting and hope to be in your league one day. Keep it up.

Thanks man, I appreciate the encouragement. Powerlifting is awesome, and the discipline and muscle you built bodybuilding will be a boon.

my front double bi shot

Awesome work bro, very impressive! I very rarely post here but felt compelled to do so.
Would you be kind enough to give a run down of your diet and training? Also how tall are you?

My height is as listed in the topic title. 5 feet, 9 inches.

I am following Wendler’s 5/3/1 BBB with some modifications. For squat and dead, I am training ROM progression with chain suspended squats and mat pulls with deads. I really fucked my hamstring up training in my garage in below freezing temps, so this is what I needed to do to still train heavy.

You can view my ROM progression training for deads here here

Additionally, I am doing at minimal DOUBLE the pulling volume for all upper body pulls. I was doing 10 sets of 10 for DB rows, and 10 sets of 10 for chins along with one all out set of max rep chins with rest pauses at the start of my workouts (averaging in the 40s)

For my diet leading up to the meet, this is an average day

2 scoops of whey in milk

1 fiber one brownie (Every 3 days I go with a cup of oatmeal instead to avoid slipping into ketosis)

1lb of meat
1 bag of salad or 1lb of veggies

Some sort of 100 calorie thing

Similar to 1030 meal

Same as 0630 meal

Thanks for the info. Now that I look at your avatar I recognise you from Fitocracy, i’ll have to give you a follow over there!

Glad I could help out. Thanks for the feedback.

I feel like I should make more inflammatory comments to get some more attention on this thread.

Umm…soy protein is better than meat.

Question how long have you been training for?

I have been “lifting” since I was 14 (I’m 27 now), but spent most of my time being stupid and doing the bench/curl thing, along with trying to balance between lifting and combat sports. I started seriously training around 22, and started powerlifting at 25.

Got some videos from my meet. Managed to get my projected weights for second attempts with a 502 squat, 336 bench and 601 dead for a 1439 total. Still amped about that, it’s 50lbs over my last meet.

Squat

491 Squat Attempt 2 491lbs - YouTube

502 http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/27423028

Notes: The 502 is on the stream site. My camera bugged out. I am THE first lifter on that stream though, so it’s not a long wait.

Bench

336 Bench Attempt 2 336lbs - YouTube

Deadlift

601 Deadlift Attempt 2 601lbs - YouTube