58 Years Old And Recovery Issue

Not sure of the best place to post this - I’m 58 years old and have trained most of my life and now just within the past year or so I’ve had a problem where after even just a moderate training day I’ll wake up that night or the next morning with a bad headache and be pretty much out of it for that day. So i’m limiting my workouts on the day I’m working out and often missing the next day’s workout.

I always have a post workout shake. I thought maybe this was due to dehydration so I made an extra effort to drink more but that didn’t help. Also included fish oil but that doesn’t seem to help.

Thanks to anyone has ideas on what this could be and ideas for foods/supplements that would help.

Unless you greatly increased your volume and/or frequency just prior to this probelm developing, I would consult your doctor. If you’ve been training most of your life, I wouldn’t think you’d suddenly have recovery problems unless you drastically changed something in your life or training.

Just my opinion. Good luck.

[quote]ryno76 wrote:
Unless you greatly increased your volume and/or frequency just prior to this probelm developing, I would consult your doctor. If you’ve been training most of your life, I wouldn’t think you’d suddenly have recovery problems unless you drastically changed something in your life or training.

Just my opinion. Good luck.[/quote]

Thanks, Ryno. I will mention it to him at a checkup scheduled for Dec. but I can tell he already thinks I’m nuts for working out the way I do at my age and he’ll probably just tell me it’s my body’s way of telling me I have to slow down.

[quote]razpazaz wrote:

Thanks, Ryno. I will mention it to him at a checkup scheduled for Dec. but I can tell he already thinks I’m nuts for working out the way I do at my age and he’ll probably just tell me it’s my body’s way of telling me I have to slow down.[/quote]

Ha! I’m only 36, but that sounds like my doctor. Back in March I went to my doctor because of a reoccurring pain in my upper back. In April, I went back because I noticed a severe drop off in strength with my left arm (I’m left handed) while doing Incline DB Presses. His advice was I was getting older and needed to lift lighter. The following MRI showed that the pain I’d been ignoring for four years was a herniated disc that was putting pressure on the nerve. I’ve since had surgery to correct it, but I still think it’s funny that he just chalked it up to getting old until the MRI came back. Like getting pinned by what used to be my warm up weights a month prior was all a result of getting old.

In your position food might be a culprit. The fact you mention adding suggest you are experiencing some kind of overflow. Do what you want but my suggestion is 1 week different. No exercise and only eat veggies. It is a vacation you have been deserving for years. You can stretch, relax get massages all things i bet was away from your focus.
All the best…
PS Most pharmacies allow you to test your pression for free. Your big number should be between 100 to 124. Any higher means cutting salt and taking less proteins would help you.