T Nation

5'8, 185 Pounds at 17, Any Suggestions?

Ok I’m a 17 year old ready to graduate from my high school. I’m 5,8 and 185 pounds with 17.03% of body fat. I have been lifting weights for awhile now and I have not seen any significant gains. I read up on some of the newbie threads on here and I’ve found them quite helpful. But anyway I normally do a 3 way split workout each week. My supplements are Kre-alkylen (creatine pills) and pro-flex20 protein drinks I take these after my workouts.

Any suggestions?

Learn, eat, lift, sleep, repeat. 3 days a week, I’d lift full body. Don’t worry about splits right now. Stick to complex movements and lift heavy. Pick a good routine (starting strength, Waterbury program, etc) and get to it.

STEROIDS… take them in suppository form. Just kidding, dude, creatine works, but when I take it I always feel like I carry a lot of extra water weight in my gut. Looks like you are too. Just train hard, try not to get too f*cked up every night in college, and eat clean when you can. Also, keep reading, and try new things every couple of months. Best of luck.

Hook up with every girl in your school…its good for cardio

what are your goals? diet? and what exactly does your routine look like?

Well my goals is to bulk up and gain more muscle also get more strength as for I have canoe paddling coming my main goal is to be at least 205 pounds with some mean mass on me. I just started using a full body work out by following waterburys article on full body workouts. well right now I’m doing two exercises per major muscle. 3 sets per exercise with 10-15 reps. Does that help?

i would think if you’re trying to bulk up to lower the rep range to 5-8 for most of your lifts and increase the weight of course

It’s kinda hard to tell with just one front shot what you look like…but…

It looks like you’re carrying a fair amount of fat(you look almost skinny fat).

Since you say your weights haven’t been progressing, I’d look to your diet. Post it and youre routine. Without knowing either one, I’d saying your diet isn’t matching your goals. How’s your intensity in the weight room?

Kinda vague … how long is a while? By the looks of it your definition of “a while” and mine might slightly differ.

You say you haven’t seen any significant gains: well how are you training? What’s your routine like? How’s your diet? Are you getting proper rest? Are you lifting like you want it or just going through the motions? Do you have a hot older sister? There are a lot of variables you’re not giving us. It’s like me walking into the doctor’s office and telling him my tummy hurts.

He doesn’t look remotely skinny-fat.

[quote]polo77j wrote:
Kinda vague … how long is a while? By the looks of it your definition of “a while” and mine might slightly differ.

You say you haven’t seen any significant gains: well how are you training? What’s your routine like? How’s your diet? Are you getting proper rest? Are you lifting like you want it or just going through the motions? Do you have a hot older sister? There are a lot of variables you’re not giving us. It’s like me walking into the doctor’s office and telling him my tummy hurts.[/quote]

HAHAHAAHAHA

laughed so hard @ that hot old sister part… Wow.

[quote]Kidkayotic wrote:
Well my goals is to bulk up and gain more muscle also get more strength as for I have canoe paddling coming my main goal is to be at least 205 pounds with some mean mass on me. I just started using a full body work out by following waterburys article on full body workouts. well right now I’m doing two exercises per major muscle. 3 sets per exercise with 10-15 reps. Does that help?[/quote]

A bit more detail would be good. What workouts are you doing exactly? I’ve personally found that a split works better (for me) when adding weight.

Honestly I’d recommend westside for skinny bastards to the OP. Upper/Lower splits>Full body.

Anything freakin’ works in the start given there’s some form of stimulation. Yet I think he’ll get more bang for his buck doing an upper/lower body routine. Just my opinion and I’ve done starting strength and one of Chad’s Routine in the beginning also.

[quote]Ronsauce wrote:
tw0scoops2 wrote:It looks like you’re carrying a fair amount of fat(you look almost skinny fat).

He doesn’t look remotely skinny-fat.[/quote]

I said almost…but way to contribute anyway thumbs up

Yeah, and by saying that he doesn’t remotely look skinny-fat, I’m implying that he doesn’t come close to even looking ‘almost’ skinny-fat, but way to be a sarcastic ass.

I agree, he does not look skinny fat. He actually doesn’t seem to have any fatty trouble spots that would call for a weight loss plan. If I were him I’d try to find some guidelines on clean bulking and follow them to a T.

Then I’d hit a routine like WSFSB
just me though

[quote]Ronsauce wrote:
Yeah, and by saying that he doesn’t remotely look skinny-fat, I’m implying that he doesn’t come close to even looking ‘almost’ skinny-fat, but way to be a sarcastic ass.[/quote]

Sorry for the sarcasm, Ronsauce…I probably shoulda justified why I thought he looked skinny fat before coming back with the sarcasm, which was because I didn’t see any delts sticking out, traps(which you can see whether your fat or not if you’re muscular), or any muscle seperation(hence the fat part). If I’m wrong in my opinion, okay, withdrawn.

He’s just a little above average size I’d say for his age. Not real skinny. I can see him packing on a lot of mass given he eats right and chooses a decent routine.

OP post a picture of you flexed

Maybe we just have differing ideas on what skinny-fat is. The general image that pops into my head whenever I hear the term is something like this. http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/3645/comparisoncl2.png

Fat or pudgy hips and belly but the rest of the upper body resembling a coat rack.

The OP at least looks like he’d fill out a t-shirt and wouldn’t be spilling out over the waist-band on his jeans.