T Nation

57 and dragging

Just got my bloodwork done. Did not get an E2, i'm afraid. I expect to make an appointment with my doc soon but would appreciate input from the wisdom of the forum. The data is European but I hope it is understandable as measurements.

-age 57
-height 6'
-waist 32"
-weight 154
-describe body and facial hair Some chest hair, good beard
-describe where you carry fat and how changed Hips and ass always
-health conditions, symptoms [history] Good health
-Rx and OTC drugs, any hair loss drugs or prostate drugs ever None

-lab results with ranges

total T 387
Free T (calculated) 6 ng/dl
Bioavailable (calculated) 153
Total PSA 0.64 microg/l
Free PSA 0.18 microg/l
17-OH-progesterone 2.02 ng/ml
Androstenedione 2.02 ng/ml
Androstanediol gluc 8.1 ng/ml
Free T4 13 pg/ml
TSH 1.68 mU/l
SHBG 48 nmol/l
Cholesterol 216 mg/dl
Cholesterol LDL 118 mg/dl
Cholesterol HDL 88 mg/dl
Hemoglobine 14.9 g/dl
Hematocrite 44%

-describe diet [some create substantial damage with starvation diets] Meat fish and fresh veggies, little bread or sugar
-describe training Weights twice a week, Pilates once, yoga once
-testes ache, ever, with a fever? No
Morning wood At times but not as before

KSman is Here

At 57, this is age related decline. LH/FSH would be interesting but not of consequence.

Do you have lag ranges to edit into the post above. See [Edit] in corner of your post.

Please read thyroid basics sticky and evaluate your iodine status and body temperatures. THS is getting to point of concern. Doctor thinks perfectly normal … but not optimal.

[quote]TQB wrote:
Just got my bloodwork done. Did not get an E2, i’m afraid. I expect to make an appointment with my doc soon but would appreciate input from the wisdom of the forum. The data is European but I hope it is understandable as measurements.

*** At age 49 1/2 through trial and error:

Maca Root will bring back the ability to “have a go at it” when ever the situation presents itself as if you were still in your 20s. I went from having trouble there to any time no problem.

Tribulus Terrestris and Resveratrol. I don’t know which did it but the strength and stamina gains while the waist line is shrinking is unlike anything I have ever seen.

Take these three and you’ll not need the artificial stuff.

From the NIH website.

Tribulus terrestris is an herbal nutritional supplement that is promoted to produce large gains in strength and lean muscle mass in 5-28 days (15, 18). Although some manufacturers claim T. terrestris will not lead to a positive drug test, others have suggested that T. terrestris may increase the urinary testosterone/epitestosterone (T/E) ratio, which may place athletes at risk of a positive drug test. The purpose of the study was to determine the effect of T. terrestris on strength, fat free mass, and the urinary T/E ratio during 5 weeks of preseason training in elite rugby league players. Twenty-two Australian elite male rugby league players (mean +/- SD; age = 19.8 +/- 2.9 years; weight = 88.0 +/- 9.5 kg) were match-paired and randomly assigned in a double-blind manner to either a T. terrestris (n = 11) or placebo (n = 11) group. All subjects performed structured heavy resistance training as part of the club’s preseason preparations. A T. terrestris extract (450 mg.d(-1)) or placebo capsules were consumed once daily for 5 weeks. Muscular strength, body composition, and the urinary T/E ratio were monitored prior to and after supplementation. After 5 weeks of training, strength and fat free mass increased significantly without any between-group differences. No between-group differences were noted in the urinary T/E ratio. It was concluded that T. terrestris did not produce the large gains in strength or lean muscle mass that many manufacturers claim can be experienced within 5-28 days. Furthermore, T. terrestris did not alter the urinary T/E ratio and would not place an athlete at risk of testing positive based on the World Anti-Doping Agency’s urinary T/E ratio limit of 4:1.

Just got the follow up results

E2 <19 ng/l normal range <52
FSH 8.2 U/l normal range 1.4-18.1
LH 4.0 U/l normal range 1.5-9.3

However Total T came in at 273, down from 387 a few weeks before
Free T is 4.98 pg/ml normal range 7.2-23

Clearly E2 is not a problem at present, but the low T is a bugger. My plan is to ask for low-dose Androgel or similar and monitor E2 before asking for aridimex… I don’t care for a massive T level, just nudge it up a little (500-550?). Advise?