T Nation

5'7", 292. Fat Loss Advice?

I know there is a lot of experience and knowledge here.
I would like to start off running in the right direction.
We are all at a different point and I will list mine.

My question is for gentlemen who have already been through my stage or have knowledge of it.

I’m 51, obese, perfectly healthy according to all tests including cholesterol and BP.
I have no injuries now as both tennis elbows have healed.
Positives are I have great legs with well developed calves, a very healthy and strong back.
I am not weak at all.
I do T injections prescribed by my doctor so you likely know about the Libido thing and hardly have any soreness after any strenuous exercise or activity.

What I think I know.

1. Power lifting is over for me at my age.
  2. I have to get my body fat in check.
  3. I put on muscle fast and have a great base except for all the fat.
  4. I’m pretty sure that 75% of my excess fat was caused by eating excess BBQ.

I am very fat but most people don’t believe I’m that heavy.
At 292, I am the heaviest I have ever been.
5’ 7 and you would think I would be completely round but surprisingly I am not.

My objective is to train for maximum fat loss so I can eat all the BBQ and Cheesesteaks I want.

I plan to train 5 days a week and take the weekends off to eat, relax, and spend time with my wife.

No time for fishing now.

I seriously want to train for the next year.

I have a tendency to be of one mind and over do the training for faster results.
I would like to think I am smarter now.

I am thinking a beginners type workout for 3 months.
Something much harder 4-6 months.
Then a killer workout 6-9 followed by some variation for shock factor beyond that every 3 months.

I don’t know what is best or even what I should do for fat loss other than add muscle to burn calories and excess fat.

I feel like if I can get a solid plan together then execute it flawlessly, in 3 months I will have results and 6 months I will have reached my fat loss goal.

I appreciate any help of advice.

Personally, I understand the desire to get in shape so that you can enjoy all the bbq and cheesesteaks you want on the weekends, however for most of us at this age, losing body fat requires real dietary and mindset changes and will most likely require a constant effort to avoid those foods which have made us fat in the first place.

Do you have any idea of your current body fat % and lean mass?
I ask because it might help you determine just how much fat you are carrying and what a reasonable goal might be, both short and long term.

I would advocate a moderate weight full-body training approach 3-4 days a week, keeping the sets around 3 per body part and reps in the 8-20 range, mixing it up a bit each workout. My advice is to keep the workouts to one hour or less.

You can try changing the exercises for each bodypart each workout to keep from getting stale, although I train full body and I stick to the same basic exercises because it just feels right for ME, and because I have old injuries that I have to avoid re-injuring, so certain exercises are out of the question.

On non-workout days, I’d suggest 30 minutes of cardio to keep the body moving. Simply walking qualifies and is low-impact for those of us who are heavier and are trying to avoid joint issues.

Case in point, I was doing some simple jumping jacks 4 weeks ago and popped my right gastroc calf tendon! Just getting back to leg training this week. Try to avoid going too hard and getting injured, because then you won’t be able to train, setting yourself back even further.

No need to run marathons. I like my mountain bike on a Blackburn fluid trainer and the occasional trail hike for an hour or so (the time goes by very quickly when hiking the trails).

Remember that getting and staying in shape (lean, not just strong) should be a lifetime activity and not something done for just a short term goal. I think if you approach this with that thought process, you will have long term success and achieve the type of results you are looking for.

Best of luck and keep us updated.

Why exactly ? Other than your excessive weight you feel that you have…what prevents you from actually doing powerlifting?

To echo what @bboch said, you’ve got to get your diet under control. While the occasional cheat meal is fine, you cannot expect to make much progress if you’re going to indulge every weekend.

As for coming up with some sort of training program that will strip the fat off of you and allow you to ‘eat all the BBQ and Cheesesteaks you want,’ there’s an old saying in that regard: You cannot out-train a bad diet. In other words, there is no such training program (unless you become an ultramarathoner or similarly-deranged endurance athlete).

Finally, you are carrying well over 100# of excess bodyfat. This will take at least a year to lose–not 6 months.

And please understand, I credit you, eyedentist, for getting me straight on the dietary thought process. Thank you.

If you DO find a training program that lets you eat all the Cheesesteaks you want, please let me know. That would be AWESOME. There’s a really great Cheesesteak place near me … Philly style with the peppers, mushrooms, and marinara sauce… Mmmmm…

Haha. Unfortunately, the eating better advice applies if it’s 5 pounds or 50. And for most of us it just becomes more true as we age. Dammit.

I know guys.
Eyedentist made those abs in the kitchen.
I’m just in denial that I have to let some things go for a while and I’m just not happy about it.

I have been on a diet for the last 10 years…any freakin thing I want.

I know that my diet is the problem coupled with lack of exercise.

Your words will help me face the truth.
Thank you for your honesty.

To answer your questions:

1. Body fat percentage has not been measured recently but if I go by past measurements and a guess, I would say 40%. (I weighed 145 lbs when I graduated HS)
  2. Powerlifting is not for me now because of my tendancy to overdo it. I built a new house last year and moved in in SEPT 2015 then had to take 7 mo off to heal because I tore the tendons off both arms while I was moving my junk.
    It was serious tennis elbow and some other stuff that goit stretched and pulled too far. Very painful healing.
    I CANNOT GO THROUGH THAT AGAIN.

EyeDentist is right. It will take a year.
Fat as I am it might take 10 years.
The truth is that this needs to become a lifestyle change for me. This working out needs to become a part of daily thing.

That’s why I am up at 6 am and don’t have to go to work until 2 pm. I plan to bang out my gym time early.
6 small meals, last mean 400 calories or less. 7-8 hours sleep per day.

One thing I failed to mention is that I do love salad and vegetables so I plan to eat plenty.
Fish and chicken will be constant.
I will lay off the ribeye steaks for a while and if I do have one, I will eat the steak as 2 meals maybe 3.

Amen PowerPuff - No truer words ever spoken. lol

I really appreciate the advice folks.
I feel confident you will tell me what you think and not sugar coat it.
I feel better already going into this because of your words.
I appreciate the encouragement as well.
Thank you!

The main thing- I have never wanted it more than I do now.
I am going to focus mostly on being in the gym everyday 5 days a week slowly intensifying my work.
I did this 13 years ago and recall that I could not sleep until I went to the gym.

Failure is never an option.

I don’t plan on being the fat superman anymore.

200 lbs would be really nice.
Haven’t seen that since 28.

That’s my goal 200-220lb range.

I am still going to make cheesesteaks for my friends and watch them eat them while I have a little chicken and no bread. Seeing the joy on their faces makes it all worth while. The mango key lime pie always hits the spot at the end for the sweet tooth people. I’m going to carry eyedentists word around in my head.

This pic was last year and I am about 15 lbs heavier than in this pic.

My best advice would be to do higher rep movements. And I don’t just mean with weights. Some of the best exercise that I ever got was chopping wood and shoveling snow. As for weights I’d stay away from squats as your legs are obviously large enough. Start out with something as basic as push-ups and sit-ups. Do them in multiple sets. I don’t know how many you can do but let’s say your maximum is 25. So your sets should look like this:

15-12-10-5. rest no more than :90 between sets and closer to :60 if possible. Then immediately move to sit-ups and work them in the same fashion. Add reps as you get stronger but keep the sets to 4 or 5. Also, as long as the weather holds I would do biking. This will help your all around health and unlike running you will have no pressure on your joints. Every time your foot slams onto the pavement that is about three times your body weight! You don’t need that at this point.

When you’re ready to switch over to weights (which I wouldn’t do for at least 8 weeks) start out easy and work your way up gradually.

With all of that said we both know you can never out train a bad diet. That means give up the simple carbs, stick to meat, fish, vegetables, fruits and nuts. Eat as clean as you possibly can and forget about eating after 6:00 or 7:00. I have helped a lot of people with this basic advice.

It’s always going to be about what you eat in the long-run.

Good luck and I hope you get to your goal.

Edit: If you decide to take by bike advice start out slow and easy or you won’t be able to move for a few days. Gradually work your way up to 5 miles a few times per week. If you have a stationary bike that helps when the weather is bad.

I’m 5’6 and 285, so we’re in the same boat. My doctor and I talked about it and I cut my carbs in half. That worked pretty well since I already avoid junk food and fast food. I am also a firm believer in squat exercises for losing weight. There are plenty of articles on this site about how to use squatting for losing weight, even if only using your body weight. I also go for a swim after I lift weights. Swimming can burn more calories than most sports. And I walk for an hour in the park on my “off days.”

Thank you Zeb and paules.
I like your idea Zeb.

I think the first thing to do is cut the carbs and the food group “BBQ & Cheesesteaks”.

Eat clean and work like hell 5 hours per week with some bonus cardio.

The main thing is to take advantage of that easy to lose 15 lbs then keep the fat burning on high.

I bought a Fitbit Surge last night to track my work.
Soon I will be an addict.

I’m easing into it and will lightly train to build up some injury protection.

Thanks again.

Ok, Its been 6 weeks and I must say its been tough not to go heavy.
No injuries so far.
3 sets 240lbs 10-12 reps
3 sets 6 reps 300 lbs.
I am getting good growth and strength increases from that.
Its the initial growth from not being in the gym for 13 years for longer than a couple weeks at a time.

My back which I always call my best asset is hard as a rock already.
I want to work on my traps.
With a 20" neck it will not show so much I guess but I like the exercise pain I get from that focus.
Any advice there?

Fat loss? Its not happening that much.
Maybe 10 lbs but my clothes fit a little easier.
I am eating much cleaner now.
I have controlled my portions.
Vietnamese yesterday and ate only half for lunch and the rest for dinner.

I am going to refresh my reading of your recommendations and make sure they are fresh in my mind.

I’m going to hit the second 6 weeks a little harder.

I don’t mean harder, I mean extend my workout times to include cardio 5 days as well.

Which muscles can I hit twice in 5 days?
TRI’s and BI’s?

Thanks in advance.