T Nation

56lb Weight For Distance

Upcoming competition has a 56lb weight throw for distance, any technique. Hoping Dan John and others can comment on what they think the best technique should be. So far I’ve been training with my kettlebell by swinging it and launching it backwards over my head… best throw tonight was 18’.

Thanks.

what’s the competition weight shaped like?

no idea… but the organizers compete in Highland Games, so I suspect it’s the handle with a chain then the weight…

go to uhatv.com it’s the site for ultimate heavy athletics it came on espn2 back in 2000 highland games stuff. Look at the videos they have there and study the guys technique and try it out. Serious fun well at least for me scaring my neighbors

[quote]offroadbiker wrote:
Upcoming competition has a 56lb weight throw for distance, any technique. Hoping Dan John and others can comment on what they think the best technique should be. So far I’ve been training with my kettlebell by swinging it and launching it backwards over my head… best throw tonight was 18’.

Thanks.[/quote]

Well, I can only comment on the HG technique- one hand on the weight, do spins to build up momentum (slightly similar to a discus) then let fly.
Some importnat aspects of this throw include waiting for the weight to come around- don’t pull too ealry- and making sure you stay low.
How you do your spins will depend on the distance and shape of your approach area, assuming there is one.